PDA

View Full Version : What is thew difference between a Co-pilot and a First Officer?

Centaurus
15th Aug 2014, 07:06
Co-pilot or First Officer.

The CASA regulations talk about co-pilot time. The CASA Pilot's Log Book has columns for Co-pilot time. Why then do airlines and other operators use the term First Officer instead of Co-pilot?

43Inches
15th Aug 2014, 07:10
First Officer is a company defined rank with a specific set of duties, co-pilot is a legal term to define any pilot with duties for a flight that is not the pilot in command.

Seabreeze
15th Aug 2014, 07:26
There is a marine analogy

Master Mariner (Class 1) is a qualification, but you have to be appointed by a company to the position of ship's Captain. The First Mate might also have a MM qualification....

There is an academic analogy

PhD is a qualification which entitles the person who earned such to be called Dr ...
Professor is a University appointment (no compulsion to have any qualification, but usually has a PhD).

mattyj
15th Aug 2014, 07:35
A co-pilot suspects that no one respects them and a first officer knows no one respects them cos its in the contract..

thorn bird
15th Aug 2014, 07:43
Mattyj,

classic mate, and aint that the truth!! :p

Wally Mk2
15th Aug 2014, 07:54
MONEY, that's the difference:)

'43' that sums it up perfectly:ok:

Position, responsibility, decision making, all knowing, leader by example,someone has to lead:-)

Only one person can be PIC, anyone else is just there to check/teach/train etc or pull the gear up when required to do so:-)

In a Pilot Incap (say the Commander) then I reckon that the CP should send an ACARS message to the head turkey saying how bad do you want this plane back with all pax alive? I want the answer in terms of dollars please:E

Wmk2

josephfeatherweight
15th Aug 2014, 09:25
Mattyj,
I was desperately trying to think of something along the same lines, but I've been well and truly beaten to the punch... Thanks for the Fri arvo chuckle...

truthinbeer
15th Aug 2014, 10:46
Here I was thinking it all had to do with the epaulettes.

HarleyD
15th Aug 2014, 10:49
Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhh

Pleeeeeeeeze Not eppaullettteeesssss. Noooooooo !!!!

Hd

chimbu warrior
15th Aug 2014, 10:57
The CASA regulations talk about co-pilot time.

CASA would be the least likely to know.............got something from them recently about changes to fuel reserves, which boldly stated at the outset that there would no longer be destination alternates or en-route alternates; all would just be alternates. As I continued to read, I saw reference to departure alternates, en-route alternates.................:ugh: