PDA

View Full Version : I want to fly an Auster again

Top West 50
14th Aug 2014, 21:51
Does anyone know of an Auster owner who would be prepared to let a retired pilot re-kindle his first flying experience (Flying Scholarship at Crosby-on-Eden 1962) in an Auster? I have mislaid my log book for the time but I think most of my flying was on Autocrats and Aiglets and I think there was something designated a J5F. Any leads gratefully recieved. By the way, my instructor was Hodgeson ( I think there were 2 by that name) who, I think, perished in an aircraft accident and the Chief Instructor was a nice chap called Dave Davico.

ShyTorque
14th Aug 2014, 23:29
I've sent you a PM about an aircraft based in Yorkshire.

Mach Jump
14th Aug 2014, 23:35
I've sent you a PM about an aircraft based in Yorkshire.

Haha Me too! I wonder if it's the same one? ;)

MJ:ok:

ShyTorque
14th Aug 2014, 23:38
G-AJIT?

BTW, TW, It's a Kingsland.

Mach Jump
15th Aug 2014, 00:02
Ah yes, I know that one. The one I suggested was a J1

MJ:ok:

Flyingmac
15th Aug 2014, 15:23
G-AJIS is also in Yorkshire.

Top West 50
15th Aug 2014, 21:44
Thank you for your help - I will follow-up the leads.

Wander00
16th Aug 2014, 08:53
Must check the registrations of the Auster J1/Ns at Sywell in 1961 when I did my FS. I recall G-AJBR and MTM, but must find the old log book and check the others. Will be at Sywell at the end of the month; I wonder if any will be there and I can have a nostalgic sit in the cockpit

Just checked logbook

G-AIBR (and first (ever) solo22 July 1961)
G-A JRB (PPL test 13 August)
G-AJDW
G-AMTM

I think MTM is still around - are any of the others?

Flyingmac
16th Aug 2014, 19:43
GINFO Database Search | Aircraft Register | Operations and Safety (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=search)

Just put the reg in (without the G) and press enter.

Wander00
16th Aug 2014, 20:55
FlyingMac - thanks, got there earlier on this afternoon

Cheers W

Auster Fan
18th Aug 2014, 11:33
I have mislaid my log book for the time but I think most of my flying was on Autocrats and Aiglets and I think there was something designated a J5F

The J/5F is one of the variants of the Aiglet Trainer not related to the the other Aiglet which was the J/1B. The J/5K, J/5L and J/8L were similar airframes with different engines

Top West 50
19th Aug 2014, 10:48
Thank you Auster Fan. The Aiglet was definately the trickiest on the line - I think the track was narrower (than the Autocrat) and the heel brakes seemed to be size of shillings rather than half-crowns! Please corrrect me if I am wrong.

Echo Romeo
19th Aug 2014, 19:40
Top West 50, It might be worth poping along to Breighton, the Chairman of the International Auster club is based there. Not saying he would but he may be able to help you! There may also be a story to tell for the clubs magazine.

Should you ever be in the Midlands we have more Austers than you could shake a stick at at our field, I'd happily take you for a pole round in my Terrier :ok:

dubbleyew eight
20th Aug 2014, 11:32
international auster club. About the International Auster Club » The International Auster Club (http://www.austerclub.org)

Top West 50
21st Aug 2014, 16:22
Thank you one and all. I will report back and, yes, there is "I learned about flying from that" story to be told - something about, weather forecasts, altimeter settings for dummies, teach yourself instrument flying and low flying, exploring low level circuits at a strange airfield with no radio etc! And all at aged 17!

Wander00
21st Aug 2014, 19:14
ER - where is that - I am sometimes in the Warwick area

Planemike
21st Aug 2014, 21:12
I would love a (passenger) flight in an Auster. Type I have never flown in.

mixturerichlean
22nd Aug 2014, 23:05
Hi Top West 50,

I just thought you would like to see photos of this Auster 5J1 Autocrat.

Current Stock : Auster 5J1 Autocrat (http://www.wfaviation.com/current-stock/auster-5j1-autocrat-detail.html)

Cheers,

Mixturerichlean

Top West 50
24th Aug 2014, 18:13
Thank you Mixturerichlean - looks very pretty!

Top West 50
22nd Sep 2014, 16:26
Mission accomplished. Fifty two years later I have renewed my acquaintance with the first aircraft in which I flew solo. Very many thanks to my benefactor alll all who, so helpfully, provided leads. It was a wonderful experience!