PDA

View Full Version : Anyone teaching light-aircraft evacuation?

flyboy2
14th Aug 2014, 13:07
Although airlines have been teaching evacuation procedures for a long time, what's being done in lightplanes?
Do enlighten me!

BEagle
14th Aug 2014, 16:09
1. Open door.
2. Get out.
3. Run away.

spekesoftly
14th Aug 2014, 16:37
4. Regret failing to undo harness.

Burnie5204
14th Aug 2014, 16:41
"Jump, Jump, Johnny!"

MrAverage
14th Aug 2014, 17:02
Mandatory in the UK to give a safety brief to passengers (and students on trial lessons) to include - among other things - evacuation procedure, whatever the size of aircraft.

Duchess_Driver
14th Aug 2014, 18:46
"As I pass you on the way out, you are to assume the rank of Commander! "

Seriously though... As MrAverage says it should be briefed on how to get out, where everything is and how to undo everything in the PAX safety brief before starting. Often omitted however, is a vector for Beagles point 3 above. "Away from the spinny thing at the front (or on the wing) at a steady pace"

Big Pistons Forever
14th Aug 2014, 21:45
On my last flight the briefing was

Head Set off
Canopy open
Right hand on the D ring
Left hand on the harness release
Jump out the left side

BEagle
14th Aug 2014, 22:08
There's also the pre-evacuation checklist:

1. Ignition OFF
2. Battery master OFF
3. F**K OFF!

glendalegoon
15th Aug 2014, 00:57
I also add move AWAY from the prop.

When I flew small planes I taught the passenger(S) how to open the door, undo the shoulder harness and what to do.

flyboy2
15th Aug 2014, 08:11
For light aircraft ( not airliners)
You're all more or less correct,
but it goes to show that nobody has given it more serious thought.

I propose that it deserves much more attention now before the Regulators
tie Instructors down. The UK seems to be the most aware right now.

I've already prepared a PPT briefing from which one can build & adapt further, based on the different cabins/canopies/doors/makes.

As today's students become tomorrow's new airline pilots, Instructors now need to provide good examples of advanced Aeronautical Decision Making.(ADM)

Big Pistons Forever
15th Aug 2014, 20:53
So providing a short pre-flight safety briefing now constitutes "advanced aeronautical decision making" :hmm:

That has to be the silliest post on a flight training forum I have read in a long time.:ugh:

BEagle
15th Aug 2014, 21:01
BPE, I couldn't agree more...:ok:

Death by PowerPoint just to tell someone how to undo their harness, open the door and run away bravely....:rolleyes:

flyboy2
16th Aug 2014, 12:32
BPE & Big Pistons Forever- the title seems to fit your super intelligence!

If it's not ADM, then what example do you wish to demonstrate?:confused:

An in-depth briefing complete with diagrams still works best for my students.

Seriously what else do you propose?:rolleyes:

Big Pistons Forever
17th Aug 2014, 02:44
flyboy 2

There is no "decision making" advanced or otherwise, in providing a passenger brief. It is required by law and common sense and the main contents of what to say are obvious.

Teaching pilot decision making is an important part of flight training but at its core the concept speaks to the ability of a pilot to consider all aspects of a unique situation and decide on the best course of action. This does not apply to the subject at hand.

Your post just perpetuates the impression among professional aviators that all instructors are numpties :ugh:

dubbleyew eight
17th Aug 2014, 07:49
well stop working so hard to create the impression. :E