PDA

View Full Version : Boeing EICAS question....

sunbird
13th Aug 2014, 00:55
Hello!

I've got a quick question about Boeing EICAS systems. As a former Airbus pilot, I'm curious as to the functionality of the EICAS when compared to an Airbus ECAM.

For example, should an engine fail at takeoff, the Airbus ECAM will provide the necessary steps to be completed to secure the engine and put out a fire if necessary. Does a modern Boeing EICAS provide the same level of guidance or does the crew perform memory items and consult the QRH.

Many thanks for any clarification.

Mecaniquito84
13th Aug 2014, 01:34
B777 and B747-8 although not using exactly an EICAS system as B767, display different check lists for normal and emergency events. Out of memory, you should select desired check list, for normal events. For abnormal an emergency events, check lists would be displayed automatically and other difference, one of the pilots should check mark each item after completion to be allowed to jump to the the other only if the system receive confirmation from a/c systems that required actions like to close a fuel s/o valve, was comanded and took placed
No such capacity for B762 & B763 EICAS, don't know about B764

sunbird
13th Aug 2014, 03:03
Thanks mate!

Exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone know how B737 NG's operate with regards to the EICAS and emergencies?

c100driver
13th Aug 2014, 03:47
I think you may be confusing EICAS and the ECL.

EICAS only tells you a master warning or caution statement.

For the B777 you then select the Electronic Checklist on a MFD. Some checklist open up at the top item and some have to be selected from the ECL. For example the Engine Failure checklist will open when the ECL is selected to a MFD but a severe damage checklist needs to be selected from an option list from the ECL.

Mecaniquito84
13th Aug 2014, 04:18
Much better and clear explained in smart cock, b777 flight instrumments, chapter 10.50

Again, no EICAS system on B777, just an operational software ("function") located in each of a/c set of computers (AIMS).

B747-8 (repeat, out of memory, almost 2 yrs I don't touch any)have a different approach, no AIMS, just old 744 instruments with a new "interface" black box

JeroenC
13th Aug 2014, 08:57
The 737s have no EICAS at all, torn and worn books it is!
For my information, I guess EICAS does not replace the need for memory items, because EICAS may fail? But when it works you perform the "memory items" from EICAS?

ACMS
13th Aug 2014, 10:57
No, you do the memory items from............memory without reference to the EICAS.

THEN when time permits and flight path is under control you compete the EICAS checklist as required.

I'm sure that's the same on the 737 without EICAS.

BuzzBox
13th Aug 2014, 11:38
For example, should an engine fail at takeoff, the Airbus ECAM will provide the necessary steps to be completed to secure the engine and put out a fire if necessary. Does a modern Boeing EICAS provide the same level of guidance or does the crew perform memory items and consult the QRH.

777 or 748: If an EICAS warning or caution is annunciated, the associated electronic checklist (ECL) will be displayed on the lower MFD. Checklists that aren't annunciated on the EICAS (eg Bomb Warning, Severe Engine Damage, etc) are also available through the ECL, but must be selected by the crew.

The ECL contains all the steps required to manage the problem and, unlike the Airbus, there is usually no need to consult the QRH or FCOM. Some items (eg switch positions) are automatically 'sensed', so that if a switch is already in the correct position, that item in the procedure will be shown as completed.

Some checklists have memory items that must be performed without reference to the ECL. After completing the memory items, the crew would use the ECL to confirm all the memory items are complete, and then complete any other items that are part of the procedure.

Frankly, the Boeing ECL is far easier to manage than the Airbus system of ECAM + QRH + OEBs + FCOM.

sunbird
13th Aug 2014, 13:42
Many thanks to all for your knowledge and expertise....much appreciated!

SMOC
13th Aug 2014, 16:49
Just to add

The EICAS is the Engine Indicating Crew Alert System.

So, as stated it shows engine indications and....

the crew alert system, which shows:

Warnings
Cautions
Advisory
Memo
+ Status cue.

777 & 747-8 only - MFD(s) show the ECL &/or system pages.

Warnings, Cautions & Advisory messages can generate a ECL on the separate MFD, however not always, as stated some are selected manually or have no checklist and are information only.

Messages with a [] indicate it has a ECL

[] ENG 1 FAIL (press checklist button and away you go)

Earlier Boeing EICAS aircraft require referral to the QRH, but the EICAS messages are slightly different ie no []

ENG 1 FAIL (find it in the QRH)

All require memory items at one time or another.

spannersatcx
13th Aug 2014, 18:23
SMOC, don't some advisories have a carret > next to it indicating crew action required, on the 744 at least.

SMOC
13th Aug 2014, 20:26
The > is the advisory, so information only on the 744 but you still have to get the info from the QRH but usually no action required.

744 EICAS

ABCDEF = Checklist (mostly)
> DEFGH = Advisory (mostly > HYD QTY LOW 4 has a checklist pre mod)

777/748 EICAS

[] ABCDEF = Checklist (ECL)
DEFGH = Advisory

I'm not 100% but I believe Boeing may offer an option in the future to make the 744 EICAS indicate like the 777/748 and drop the >, ie

[] ABCDEF = QRH Checklist
DEFGH = Advisory

Rick777
15th Aug 2014, 05:50
Having experience with both Airbus and Boeing systems I think the ECL is much easier to use than ECAM.

lospilotos
15th Aug 2014, 06:57
All EICAS messages have a corresponding checklist (except some newly introduced EICAS messages on checklist usage itself, like "CHKL INCOMPLETE NORM", that indicates that a normal checklist has not been performed at a time when you are expected to have done it, such as Before Take Off Checklist when you are lined up on the runway), anyway.....

Some non normal checklists have the [] in front, indicating that some crew action is required and pressing the ECL button would bring the non-normal checklist up on the MFD. If you have several active EICAS with [] you will see a list of these checklists on the MFD and you will have to select the most important checklist to perform at that time. For example if you loose all of the hydraulic fluid in the center system you would get these on EICAS:

[] HYD QTY LOW C
[] HYD PRESS SYS C

Here the second non-normal checklist is the more appropriate to start with. So you need some system knowledge. The checklist for the low quantity has no procedural steps only notes, but these notes are important so it still has the [] in front