PDA

View Full Version : To typr rate or not to type rate?

flightboy27
11th Aug 2014, 15:27
Hi Guys

actually my question was a follow on. As a low hour pilot with only an MCC/JOC to my name I am getting very worried of the lack of opportunities in the market and will shortly have to start repaying my loan off. I spoke Chief Pilot of a low cost airline who told me just go and get a type rating and come back, is this worthwhile doing or is there a better option, should I be paying even more money without a guarantee of a job or will it make me that bit more marketable?! I look forward to hearing replies :O

elmore81
11th Aug 2014, 16:34
The million dollar question.

I was told to get a 320 TR by a monarch captain and then apply, but without a proper job offer its one more thing to keep current, plus without any time on type they seem pretty useless.

But who knows.

Morris542
11th Aug 2014, 17:00
will shortly have to start repaying my loan off.

For me that would be the main factor in this decision.

flightboy27
11th Aug 2014, 18:13
Thanks guys ever so much for responding, Elmore how did it go? Morris I have a year and a few months before I have to start paying it back but I'm just a bit anxious about the lack of opportunities or help from the flight school I trained at.

Holyjoe
11th Aug 2014, 18:18
Dont do it. A type rating without hours on type is useless. It will be more expensive to renew your IR on a multi crew aircraft also.good companies will issue you a type rating (bonded) with a job.
Aer Arann (stobart) usually employ their own typerated students but its a massive gamble. Good luck

too_much
11th Aug 2014, 18:56
There is no jobs for Type rated zero hours, only + would it will give you a good grasp on what the big planes are about.

I'm looking for a job right now!

4,500 hours TT
650 Jet PIC
2,000 hrs FO B737
Couple of thousand hours on turbo props, bush planes,sea planes etc

Even with this which I built up over past 10 years, I'm still struggling to get interviews.

And before all the idiot pruners come along and say ha ha you must be a bad pilot etc, I'm not, I'm good and to get a command you have to be good trust me!

The search goes on....

1RED2GREENS
12th Aug 2014, 19:20
Apart from a 737 / 320 rating, what about a turbo-prop SSTR such as the ATR, have always been led to believe that time on a TP is not generally required...

Anyone care to shed some light?
But doing a SSTR is a gamble

Holyjoe
15th Aug 2014, 18:45
1red2greens, an ATR SSTR is fine if it is done at Aer Arann/Stobart with a view to taking up employment there. Otherwise it is no different to any other SSTR. Farnair, Etihad Regional, Air Contractors all require time on type, 500 hours +
Etihad a great place to work once you have the hours, as are Air Contractors. But you may find yourself in the same position with the debt of an ATR rating and limited prospects. Hang on in..things are looking better.

Torque Tonight
16th Aug 2014, 11:05
Chief Pilot of a low cost airline who told me just go and get a type rating and come back

Unless he's prepared to offer you a contract now, conditional on you getting the TR, then this is just a worthless comment designed to get you out of his office asap. Would you gamble £25k on a promise like this? I wouldn't.

Holyjoe
17th Aug 2014, 09:33
Council Van, Flybe and Norweigan and some outfits across Europe (eg wizz) recruiting ab initio is definitely an improvement in the last few years I would say. You have got to keep looking forward. I got my first job in the depths of the recession as did most of my friends where I started.there are definitely glimmers of hope starting to appear.