PDA

View Full Version : Iraq operations

justwhenyouthought..
11th Aug 2014, 10:33
Good day,
anyone been into Baghdad, Al Najaf, Sulaymaniyah or Basrah in the last couple of days, since the GCAA edict ?
I am surprised to note no comments about Iraq ops on this page.

dubaigong
11th Aug 2014, 12:13
What type of comment are you expecting ?
Here , as you should know , we do what we are told to and not what we think is safe to do...
Since a few days the GCAA has banned civilian UAE registered aircraft to fly into the Baghdad FIR , EXCEPT flying to Baghdad , Najaf , Sulaymaniyah and Basra.
Don't forget we are still also flying to Afghanistan into Kabul and Kandahar.

justwhenyouthought..
12th Aug 2014, 13:21
something a little more helpful than yours!

What an aggressive attitude.

Thank you for the lecture " what you should know "

who are you to act like this? and who is the 'we?' in the 'we are still flying into..."

My question was reasonable.

Voodoo 3
12th Aug 2014, 14:53
The 'we' that Dubaigong referenced will be flydubai.

To add to the Afghanistan connection though, don't forget Bastion and Bagram too!!

Anyway I can't add to your original post I'm afraid as Iraq flights have not featured on my PBS bidding recently,funny thing that……..

dubaigong
12th Aug 2014, 15:03
I don't really see what is aggressive in my post and I would like to apologize if you have been offended by my post.
As it is a pilot website I was just guessing that you were a pilot and according to what it says below your "name" you are in the UAE so I was guessing again that you should in this case be aware of the GCAA position o the subject.
If not there is a problem in the communication of the notams in your company as I think that all commercial pilot flying in the UAE on UAE registered aircraft should know it...
Again sorry if you have been offended that was not at all my purpose.

skysod
12th Aug 2014, 16:58
From what I understand, it's deemed too dangerous to overfly Iraq at cruise altitude.......but perfectly safe to fly over and land in Iraq if that's your destination.......I don't see the logic!!........is it just me or what???

dubaigong
13th Aug 2014, 09:05
As said in one of my previous post above , here we do what we are told to do and not what we think is safe to do...
Their logic is that only the part of the country north of Baghdad is now dangerous to fly to or even overfly so flights to Europe ( flying over the north of Iraq ) and the destination north of Baghdad are forbidden to UAE registered commercial aircraft until further notice.
So that's why we are still allowed to fly to Baghdad , Najaf , Sulaymaniyah and Basra... At least for the time being while Erbil is not allowed anymore.

justwhenyouthought..
13th Aug 2014, 09:44
There are lots more aeroplanes based here than those of the major carriers. We are one of them.

Thank you Voodoo3.

Dubaigong, we don't have the resources of the big boys (everyone is big compared to us !) and I was simply trying to get any info I could.
Of course I am aware of the GCAA edict, hence my mentioning it in my post.
I, too, cannot see the logic of being allowed to overfly but then permit landing at the 4 airports mentioned.

Any info we can share must be a benefit.

I see Turkish Airlines are still flying over Iraq with abandon.....

Thank you dg!

Maybe I was a little oversensitive..... ;)

Kenai
13th Aug 2014, 12:25
We...the airline down the road at SHJ cancelled Erbil couple of days back...atleast it showed cancelled in my roster and replaced with another destination.

justwhenyouthought..
17th Aug 2014, 06:08
DG DIRECTIVE 04-2014
Issued: 14 AUGUST 2014
SUBJECT: PROHIBITION ON OPERATIONS INTO BAGHDAD FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION.
APPLICABILITY:
All A6 registered aircraft and aircraft operated by UAE civil operators
EFFECTIVE DATE:
14 August 2014, 15:30 UTC
PURPOSE:
This is an update to the requirements previously stipulated by DG Directive no. 03-2014 dated 09
August 2014 following a review of the current situation in the Republic of Iraq to arrest the
potential aircraft operational threats due to armed conflict in the northern region.
REQUIREMENTS:
The UAE General Civil Aviation Authority is hereby, and until further notice, prohibiting all UAE
registered aircraft and aircraft operated by UAE operators from flying into Baghdad Flight
Information Region (ORBB). The prohibition, however, does not apply to:
1. Flights to and from Baghdad (ORBI), Najaf (ORNI), and Basra (ORMM) airports using the
southern corridor.
2. Flights to and from Sulaimaniyah (ORSU) via the eastern corridor and the Iranian FIR.
The operations involving the above are contingent upon UAE operators providing continuous
monitoring and assessment on the developments, as they take place, in order to ensure
continued safe operations.

ironbutt57
17th Aug 2014, 09:10
When are al we pilots going to realise it's much safer to operate at lower altitudes where shoulder launched missiles and other projectiles are effective, than it is to operate at high altitudes where only SAms can hit us.:confused:....the revenue generated by these destinations guarantee your safety...:mad: