PDA

View Full Version : PNG flying

papua new guinea pil
11th Aug 2014, 03:50
I just cannot believe the crap about how difficult it is to fly in PNG.
In the 60's, we flew D.R......no sophisticated instruments, no VOR, DME etc,
on airstrips that are now out of commission.........in aircraft that were not as reliable as todays aircraft.
In non IFR aircraft, and little radio contact.
If you look at you tube and watch and listen to current pilots, it makes me realise how little is known about flying in PNG in the 1960's and on.

deadcut
11th Aug 2014, 04:47
And what was the body count from the 60s?

j3pipercub
11th Aug 2014, 05:07
Shouldn't this be in the newbie thread?

Radix
11th Aug 2014, 05:32

tipsy2
11th Aug 2014, 08:54
papua new guinea pil, until you do believe the crap about how difficult it is to fly in PNG do not go there.:=

The crap isn't crap, it's the truth.:ugh:

Tipsy

Pinky the pilot
11th Aug 2014, 09:11
And what was the body count from the 60s?

A lot worse than the body count from the early 90's when I was there, but even then the Grim Reaper still exacted his take! Several good Friends, aquaintances and one housemate!:sad:

Going through his personal effects, packaging them up to send home to his Widow was the hardest thing I have ever done!:sad::sad::ugh::ugh:

At least I had help that day. Thanks again Scott L if you're reading this.

And then to hear that my former Boss from another company also bought the farm a few years later; well, that just really :mad::mad::mad:

papua new guinea pil; Give it a rest Mate.

chimbu warrior
11th Aug 2014, 11:10
Comparing PNG now to what it was like when I was first there 35 years ago,

In those days there was a decent flight service and ATC network, staffed by people who actually took some interest (actually a lot of interest) in their job. Today, despite a vastly better network of VHF coverage, you are lucky to get someone to answer your call (especially on HF), and heaven help you if you should suffer a mishap; SAR is a joke.
Airstrips in those days were well maintained, nowadays many are little more than goat tracks (even Wewak has lots of failing pavement), but NOTAM's are incomplete, inaccurate, or just plain invisible. Don't even ask about inspections....
Navaids were also well maintained. Nowadays they seem to be just a convenient mounting platform for a Digicel (phone) tower.
CAA/OCA had knowledgeable and experienced staff who were provided with the resources to monitor operators and advance safety. Still a few good people in CASA PNG's ranks, but they can't even get a telephone connected, much less provide adequate safety oversight. There are foreign operators who have been allowed to come in and obtain an AOC who fly around the highlands without communicating.........how long before there is a midair?
No GPS in the old days, but maps and AIP publications were kept up to date. Many of the "current" publications left the printers 25 years ago (not exaggerating).
Fuel was readily available in many locations, with decent quality monitoring. Now AVGAS is almost unobtainable, and one can't help but think that many smaller operators are either stretching reserves, or departing major ports with an overload.
Decent maintenance (in fact exceptional in some cases) was the order of the day back then. With some notable exceptions this is a real area of weakness now.
Weight and balance calculations were accurate, and recognised the limits of man and machine. How sad is it that the national carrier had a leased (but on their AOC) aircraft suffer a serious accident (fortunately without serious injury or loss of life) after trying to depart a major coastal airport with an overload. Ground staff have an attitude that deceiving a crew about the true weight of the payload is only a problem if you get caught.
There was co-operation and assistance between operators. Despite commercial rivalry, they understood the over-riding importance of system safety. It's not extinct, but much less common now>

[/LIST]

poteroo
11th Aug 2014, 15:11
png pilot Probably an unfair comparison. When we were there in the 60's we were young and full of testosterone. We overloaded, and stretched the rules. Survival of the fittest. We didn't know any better - whatever it takes was the order of the day.

Nowdays, it's different because the aircraft are better, pilots are more safety conscious, and training is somewhat different.

But the weather isn't any better, and the valleys are not any wider. The aircraft are faster, and the decision times are probably shorter. Aircraft are larger and safer, but human error is still present. As pointed out in a previous post - in some respects we had it better in the 60's.

It was a great training ground, and those of us who 'survived' have been improved by our experiences.

happy days,

Exaviator
11th Aug 2014, 22:42
Those of us who are still around from the 60s learned valuable lessons from our flying days in TPNG. Lessons which contributed well to our overall aviation experience.

I remember when I first interviewed for Qantas I was asked several questions about the experiences that I had gained from my time there.

The man asking the questions was Capt Bird, who later told me that QF considered every hour spent flying in N.G. as being equivalent to two hours else where.