PDA

View Full Version : EK Boston Engine Trouble

givemewings
11th Aug 2014, 01:50
Just saw this on my crackbook feed:

Engine fire extinguished on Emirates flight at Logan runway | Local News - WCVB Home (http://www.wcvb.com/news/engine-fire-extinguished-on-emirates-flight-at-logan-runway/27399982)

Appears the flight into Boston had an engine fire after landing, notified by ATC, seems like it was dealt with pretty quickly, no evacuation

It's not that usual to have issues on landing, is it? Most of them happen on take-off or enroute, though it is a long sector I guess it is feasible that issues would arise after constant operation for so long. Good thing it was not half-way... hope the crew get a nice rest now!

Mister Warning
11th Aug 2014, 04:38
"Jumbo" and fire in "Number 1" "right" engine.
Excellent reporting....

Buckshot
11th Aug 2014, 05:14
An Emirates Boeing 777-300, registration A6-ECW performing flight EK-237 from Dubai (United Arab Emirates) to Boston,MA (USA) with 374 people, had safely and normally landed on runway 04R and was taxiing across runway 04L, 15L holding short of runway 15R when the crew reported a fire indication for the left hand engine. Tower advised there were no visible flames and queried whether the crew wanted to hold right there or continue taxi, the crew indicated they wanted to cross the runway, tower instructed to turn left onto runway 33L and advised emergency services were on their way. While taxiing along runway 33L tower advised there were flames visible from the left hand engine. When the emergency services arrived they couldn't see any fire, tower advised flames were no longer visible, they had been visible from the back of the engine. The crew advised they never had a fire indication, but could see some flames on the camera, which stopped after the engine was shut down. Emergency service subsequently reported they were seeing an active fuel leak, the crew shut down the aircraft and reported they had a strong smell of fuel on board. The passengers were kept on board until the aircraft could be towed to the apron.

Incident: Emirates B773 at Boston on Aug 10th 2014, engine fire after landing (http://avherald.com/h?article=4789f125&opt=0)

Payscale
11th Aug 2014, 07:52
A visible fire and a strong smell of fuel inside. Sound like a good reason to start a precautionary disembarkation. The again I wasnt there..

givemewings
11th Aug 2014, 12:42
"Number 1" "right" engine.

I had noticed that too, quality!

Payscale, not sure if you watched the video but they mention that the RFFS were advising the flight crew on the status of the fire... as I have it, they consider the available options before sending everyone down the slides, right?

JetBlue had a very obvious, very loud engine issue and had some injuries down the slides yesterday as well. I thought the point was only to do it if you absolutely need to. If the firies are right there and the bottle works, do you need to evacuate? I was always under the impression no... (JetBlue's very obviously was not controlled by fire bottle)

One of the pax even says the captain made a PA and at that point it was over. If he's making PAs to them then the situation was under control already.

Obviously I too was not there but that's what I got from the statements. Sounds like the right call to me....

QCM
11th Aug 2014, 22:26
Tail pipe fire by memo...s/d engine,crank and get rid of xtra fuel...

Straight & Level
12th Aug 2014, 05:27
Tail pipe fire by memo...s/d engine,crank and get rid of xtra fuel...

On engine startup, maybe (but not a memory item). This incident, as I understand, was on landing.

lospilotos
12th Aug 2014, 07:41
Correct, there are no Boeing defined memory items in the Tailpipe Fire NNC, however any checklist may be performed by memory at the discretion of the commander.

square leg
12th Aug 2014, 07:56
After engine shut down (during taxi as a fuel saving measure) a tailpipe fire occurred (or so it seems).

Luckily the other engine was still running to assist with the tail pipe fire CL.

I'd rather be taxiing with one engine running than parked at a gate with no engines running and no APU running whilst a tail pipe fire is in progress.

A flight is never over until the last pax/crew have disembarked and/or the next crew/engineer takes responsibility of the aircraft after parking it.

I am pretty sure they handled it just fine.