PDA

View Full Version : PIC vs. Solo Time

com304
10th Aug 2014, 20:13
In my Jeppesen Pilot Logbook (JAR-FCL 1.080 req) in a yearly summary section there are separate columns for PIC and Solo time. What is the difference?

Dash8driver1312
10th Aug 2014, 20:18
Are you Pilot In Command as part of a multi-crew (therefore no solo time can be logged) or Pilot In Command because you are exercising your SEP rating in a solo-pilot machine eg Katana/C172 etc?

In short, you log solo time as PIC anyway, but you only log PIC time when part of a crew when you are the captain.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Aug 2014, 20:23
Solo is always PiC.

PiC may not be solo - instructors or captains of multi-crew aeroplanes for example.

The only way a student can be PiC is solo, except that a successful skill test is logged PiC.

It is unusual to distinguish between the two to be honest. Solo time isn't important, it's PiC and TT that are usually the two really important numbers.

G

mad_jock
10th Aug 2014, 20:34
Its only used for initial license and night rating or what ever they are calling it these days during a training course.

Some people like to keep track of it for personal reasons I think or they change it to something else that they want to keep track of.

com304
10th Aug 2014, 21:05
Thank you all, now it's clear to me.