PDA

View Full Version : Info On Hadj Flights

TJ747
26th May 2002, 17:35
HI GUYS,

JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE HAS DONE THE HADJ FLIGHTS OUT IN AFRICA,INDIA ETC ETC AND WANT SOME INFO ABOUT THESE TYPES OF FLIGHTS.

IVE HEARD MANY DIFFERENT AND INTERESTING STORIES ABOUT THESE FLIGHTS AND WOULD BE INTERESTED IN YOUR REPLYS.

HOPE SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME SOME INFO.

MANY THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLY
TJ747

galleygirl
27th May 2002, 05:13
Ive done quite a few hadj flights in the Gulf, a truly interesting experience. Usually ferry, one class, full flights. The cheapest possible catering is served. Lots of praying going on, toilets been utilised for wash rooms, water everywhere including huge bottles of water in overhead lockers. Scantily clad men in towel like outfits, women fully covered. PA system overtaken by religious leaders reciting prayers. No one speaking english. Lots of Quran reading and reciting in seats. Best advice, do the service as quickly as possible, sit back, take it all in and wonder what you are doing there!!!!!:rolleyes:

mutt
28th May 2002, 09:57
No one speaking english

Considering that you are offering them a service, don’t you think that maybe you should speak their language rather than the other way around?

Mutt.

FloatJockey
28th May 2002, 12:59
Sorry Mutt, I think Galleygirl shall not be criticised. This must be a hell of a flight! These charter flights are often sponsored by Governments and expectations re onboard service might be quite "reasonable". Why would an experienced (polyglot?) c.c. waste her career on such flights? Galleygirl moved on for obvious reasons!

If you wish to learn arabic for the sole purpose of becoming a c.c. on hadj flights, providing excellent service, then please feel free to do so... :p

Mrs. FloatJockey

Northern Hosty
28th May 2002, 13:21
Mutt. Obviously you can speak their language then. Fine, good for you. If we could speak all the different languages for all the nationalities that we carry on board then dont you think that we are wasted as cabin crew??? Its great to speak a language & i do but ask your colleagues how many speak Arabic:p

FLARE DAMIT
28th May 2002, 19:30
Mutt what a tosser, say something useful for goodness sake, and say in the international language of aviation!:mad:

galleygirl
28th May 2002, 21:16
Thanks guys for speaking up in my defence!!!! As a matter of fact we all did 6 weeks arabic in training school and I continued to study a little for personal interest. I was therefore one of the few aussies who was able to communicate with passengers in my limited arabic, enough to ask them what they would like to eat, drink, explain the options, directions for toilet, mecca, seat numbers and also offer them a very pleasent greeting and farewell onboard the aircraft!

So Mutt, never assume anything...............

TJ747
30th May 2002, 17:15
THX FOR YOUR REPLIES AND THX TO GALLEY GIRL FOR BEING THE ONLY ONE TO ANSWER MY QUESTION.

JUST WANT TO HEAR SOME STORIES AND EXPERIENCES THAT YOU MAY HAVE HAD.

MANY THX
TJ747

quilfaitbeau
3rd Jun 2002, 23:17
Erm....well, for one....I think a lot of you know, they are from all over the world. Probably saved their whole lives just to get there. Yea, the flooding toilets is intolerable, but well....

These flights can be difficult as some may even be uneducated. But hey, that's what the cabin crew for....to try and help them out as much as we can(if that is posssible). The cabin crew are not there to educate them, but just try to understand, and like as mentioned in an earlier post....stay out of the way as much as possible.

Most of them are really nice. Just hard to understand as there are so many ppl from so many countries with so many different cultures.

Bless them though. Some worked so hard for so long just to get there.

Whoops! I don't think I am making any sense....sowwy!