PDA

View Full Version : Actual take-home salary DEC Flydubai

despegue
6th Aug 2014, 14:27
Could somebody please inform me of the actual take-home salary for new DEC's at FlyDubai, including per diems, accommodation allowances etc...?

I have heard figures of around 72.000 Dirham, and ppjn is also quoting such numbers but want to be sure before applying...

Thanks a lot,

D.

harry the cod
6th Aug 2014, 17:14
I make just under 70K a month as line captain at EK after 12years with housing allowance and flight pay. This figure excludes education allowance and Provident fund contribution from Company (15%). I know it's not answering your question specifically but thought i'd mention it for comparison as EK are generally assumed to offer the better package. If your numbers are correct, this would blow that theory out of the Gulf!

Harry

High Energy
6th Aug 2014, 17:29
Since no one responded yet I can only say what I heard as I'm an f/o. Cptn pay including all allowances and 80 block hrs is around 54K. IIRC (excl school allowances)

It will point you in the right direction if non of our captains replies.

Voodoo 3
6th Aug 2014, 17:56
So called A scalers make around 55-60k per month total depending on flight pay and no training pay in that also. I guess knock off around 10% of that as transport and housing for later joiners was reduced a bit.

dubaigong
6th Aug 2014, 18:55
As a DEC now you should get around 24000 Dhs basic , 15000 Dhs housing allowance , 11550 Dhs ( 70 hours ) flight pay 2500 Dhs transport allowance.
So it is around 53000 Dhs/month.
That is for 70 hours and on top of that you will get school allowances for up to 3 kids until they get 18 years old.
I am not sure about the exact amount as I am not concerned any more and so don't get it but it is around 45000 Dhs to 55000 Dhs per year depending if primary school or college.

despegue
6th Aug 2014, 19:33
Thank you all for the info!

Old King Coal
7th Aug 2014, 03:06
Fwiw, I am an 'A' scale 'line' Captain at flydubai and my per-month is as follows:

Salary: 26,705 Dhs
Housing: 16,000 Dhs
Transport: 4,000 Dhs

On top of that there's Flight Pay: 165 Dhs per block hour and, based on the last 5 years here, I typically do about 850 block hours per year.

If you 'do the math', that equates to an average per month (throughout the year) of: 58,392 Dhs net.

mutt
7th Aug 2014, 05:24
58,392 Dhs net. But from that you have to pay for your housing, what are you able to rent these days in Dubai for 190,000 per year?

MCO951
7th Aug 2014, 08:14
DEC PAY
as of 01 August, 2014

Base pay. 25,225
Housing. 15,000
Trans. 2,600
Flying. 165/ hr

School allowance. Primary: 40,000 each for 3 children
Secondary. 55,000 each for 3 children.

Old King Coal
7th Aug 2014, 19:10
mutt: the maths works like this...

2,100 sq ft (unfurnished) apartment in JLT (and very nice it is too, though I'll admit that we've been very lucky with our awesome landlord!) + Rental car + DEWA + Palm Cooling + Internet for house & mobile devices = 11,650 Dhs per month.

We also put 10,000 Dhs pm into our investment accounts (all of which have been doing very nicely; though I hasten to add that they're not based in the UAE).

Accordingly, every month, the wife & I are left with only a paltry 36,742 Dhs for the (other) essentials of life, and therein I just don't know how we manage?!.... but, as we're quite frugal, the money just keeps on mounting up.

It's all along been our opinion that the whole modus operandi & ethos of Dubai was to get in, grab what you can, then foxtrot oscar asap.

So yes, saving money is is doable here, but the true reward is to be had on the day when you fly out for the last time, kicking the sand off your shoes as you do so, whilst hopefully headed for somewhere truly nice, and quietly chuckling to yourself whilst you think of all the freedom (financial & otherwise) that you now have. :ok:

stable_checked
11th Aug 2014, 06:37
Why has Flydubai introduced a B scale? Are they finding more applicants than positions?
Can someone tell me the take home for FOs. Is there a B scale for FOs as well?

dubaigong
11th Aug 2014, 06:50
They have no problem to find applicants because most of the first officers joining now are coming from the turboprops and there are no a lot of companies "offering " the opportunity to get a B737-800 from a ATR or Q400...
On top of that , due to the rapid growth , these first officers will have the opportunity to upgrade on the left seat within 2 to 4 years depending on previous experience and ability to pass the selection.
So if you compare the salary of a regional pilot in the US plus the numbers of years he will have to wait before getting a chance to seat on the left , FZ got with the state only a big pool of applicants.
If you consider also the number of European flying regional dreaming of flying a jet and the Brazilian dreaming of leaving their unsafe country you got the picture...
Thousands of applicants

dubaigong
11th Aug 2014, 06:55
Transport jock ,

you are right they prefer internal upgrade BUT if you look at the seniority number of the upgrade now you will realize that they will be soon short of internal applicants because of the rate of new aircraft arriving and the minimum requirement to apply for the upgrade.
Many guys who are now in seniority to apply don't meet the requirement.

pole shift
12th Aug 2014, 17:26
Your take home pay will be the same with the vast majority of captains (if DEC) and nearly all of the f/o's. As a junior pilot in your seat however, you can expect to work nearly double the duty hours of your senior colleagues with approximately the same number of block flight hours. For example a roster of about 65 block hours will mean you will probably have a duty time of about 120-125 hours, whereas the duty of a senior pilot will be around 75-85. And that is because you will fly double sector days, and multiple short sectors at the middle of the night, and you will get minimum days off, typically 8, maximum 9, whilst others, as admitted in some other FZ thread, get 20-22.
As it stands now if DEC you will NEVER be able to get a descent roster since all those people above you in the seniority list will eventually upgrade, be more senior than you and basically you will get all the leftover flights.
There are some people in this forum that when someone talks about this kind of injustices and many others, like a fine tuned choir, they will tell you off, and that's what is supposed to be. Recently there was a rumor that the bidding system that favors the high seniority pilots will change. I think these people got scared so they even asked the COO to send an email pointing out that the bidding system will not change! :D
And you will see them, at around 8 a.m when you just came back from a night duty feeling destroyed, freshly shaven with wet look hair, ready for their long day flight after their block of 5-10 days off!
Good luck!:ok:

de facto
12th Aug 2014, 21:21
Thats called paying your dues no?

Captnhappy
13th Aug 2014, 00:54
Wrong!.... That's called Slave Labor!!

dubaigong
13th Aug 2014, 04:51
It makes me laugh :ok: so much all the made up stories from some people on this website...
You can not believe how scared :eek: the most senior pilots were when rumours about the change in the bidding system started :)
And of course the COO under pressure of the most senior pilots :E sent a memo to all pilots saying that the bidding system will stay as it is :\
Do you really think that the COO or anybody else will do anything under pressure of a few privilege pilots against the mass of the other ones !!!! :=
Stop being frustrated do your job , flying the plane , and start to have a life you will be a lot happier even with the same roster :ok::ok::ok:

WYOMINGPILOT
13th Aug 2014, 05:39
For any DEC type rated thinking on joining Fly Dubai I will give you my perspective. I have been flying in China now for almost 5 years and recently had a very difficult time passing my medical in China. I decided to give Fly Dubai a serious look and also Dubai. The interview process was similar as described on PPrune thread and other internet gouge. I interviewed at CTC in South Hampton and stayed at the Dibden Training center. The applicant will pay for all of the expenses for this interview round. I won’t go into details here as there is plenty of good gouge already about this process. The interview consisted of the Group exercise, Computer Based Games, one on one interview and the next day a full up 737-800 Simulator assessment. I passed and was invited back to Dubai at Fly Dubai expense for another company interview. This was a more casual process with a 1 day interview and medical. This was a good chance to investigate Dubai and talk with a few Fly Dubai pilots. I was offered an employment offer from Fly Dubai but told to expect about 6 months delay for the next available class date. Most Captains I spoke with at Fly Dubai liked Fly Dubai but were getting burned out with Dubai and the high cost of living. Most Captains said they were able to save only about $5,000 after all expenses. I was only able to stay a few days on this trip but I returned again and spent a few more days with an Emirates buddy and flew on a buddy pass so all I really spent was time investigating Dubai. My comparison may be my own perceptions but in the end I decided to remain at my current job in China. Realize China has many shortcomings but has improved dramatically in the past 5 years on all fronts. I can easily save about $12,000 per month in China on a 6 week on 16 day off contract whereas in Dubai you only get 42 days off per year and will save only 5-7K per month. The work in Dubai for a new joiner is mostly night flying and lots of 4 sector turns or India flights whereas the more senior guys at Fly Dubai do most of the efficient and desireable trips and work much less. All the FOs at Fly Dubai will eventually have better schedules than a new DEC as they will have a higher PBS bid number when they upgrade to Captain. It will be a very long time before you will get a decent schedule as a new joiner DEC. The housing in Dubai has increased dramatically in the past year and now is very pricey and difficult to obtain decent housing. I found the prices in Dubai to be similar to Hong Kong and expect to pay about $5K per month for decent accommodations. My base salary in China is about 17K per month and bonuses and overtime put me around 20K per month all inclusive. The off time I receive is 96 days off per year vs. 42 at Fly Dubai. Benefits at Fly Dubai are better than China but most Captains I spoke with had complaints also about medical, travel, education allowances etc. in Dubai. Housing in China is quite cheap and you can rent a decent 3 bedroom apartment for about $1200 per month vs. $5K in Dubai. Commuting in Dubai is quite a hassle compared to here in China where I ride the company provided bus to the airport about 20 mins. From my house and returns me to my house upon trip completion. I have no need for a car in China as public transport is quite good and commuting is very simple. Duty days are long in domestic China flying but the Intra Asian flying is great with layovers in most large Asian cities, some are 30 hour layovers. In the end I passed my medical in China and purchased a good Loss of License Insurance to cover me in the event of a medical failure here in China. Having passed my medical I ultimately decided to just remain here and work a few more years if I am able. The weather and climate here is quite nice as I live in a coastal Southern China city which has good air quality, one of the few in China and quite nice temperate weather year round vs. the dreaded 4 months of extreme heat in Dubai. For non type rated or FOs I believe Fly Dubai can be quite a decent gig as it will give you new opportunity but for type rated DECs. I would take a good look at the better contracts in China. Best of luck on your flying careers and decisions.

thatwasclose
13th Aug 2014, 06:22
Thanks for a good post.

pole shift
13th Aug 2014, 09:17
If one reads previous posts from now happy people in flydubai, then the difference in attitude towards the company is evident. Everyone was ready to leave, frustration was high, and morale was very low.
And that at least united all the pilots to endure things.
Suddenly the SAME people that were accusing the company on nearly everything, now made a 180 degree turn. Like magic, it doesn't matter any more if they have to fly to Kabul were there are frequent attacks on the airport, or into any other war zone, or if education allowance is insufficient, or anything else.
And all that is because the same people that were moaning and were unhappy, and I say quite rightly so, now, get the best roster of their carreers (better than their back home ex-company).
And that leaves the less fortunate people and the new joiners in a very difficult situation.
For as long as the company does not realize that it is in it's interests to make the situation for every pilot as less difficult as possible then it will be never able to attract experienced aviators. They will come, they will see, and they will leave, so far it happened quite a few times that I know of.

P.s. @ dubaigong: I am sure you have an insight to what I say that is true, and please do not feel offended, you or anyone else in the same position like you. It's not personal, rather an effort to make FZ a better place for everyone.

dubaigong
13th Aug 2014, 11:17
I don't take anything personal as I have my career plan but for more than 5 years now some pilots have been trying to achieve what you are wishing for BUT it didn't happen...

WHY ?

Most probably for the same reason that for more than 10 years now pilots complain at Ryanair and things have not improved at all , it's even getting worse because of one main reason selfishness and lack of action from enough pilot within the company.

It is the same here at FZ nothing will change and they always will find enough pilots like Ryanair and the like have because the guys joining are not planning to stay but to get something then leave .
Looking for a type jet rating , a command upgrade , some tax free money etc...
If you really wants to see changes it will not be by dividing the workforce but by finding a way to unite them and work together.
For that I wish you all the best because when I see that pilots need to give money to find some fellows to accept to swap some flights to help them I am not very optimistic.
I have never ask for any money to help out any pilot when it was possible and I have even been flying to Kabul , Kandahar etc... just to help.
And I have never call sick to avoid flying to those places , forcing some fellow pilots on standby to fly to it like some other guys.
With this kind of behavior I don't have a lot of hope for the future here...

MCO951
18th Aug 2014, 06:31
If you join FZ today as DEC, we have 39 airplanes, just over 600 pilots.

At a rate of roughly 1 New Boeing/month and staffing of roughly 7 crews per jet, by next August, there will be another 12 jets and 84 pilots.

By years end, all 19 local Emirati F/O's will have moved on to Emirates. Our best to them, they've proved themselves worthy aviators!

Bang, you moved up 100 numbers in 1 year, without any normal attrition. So far, I've "heard" there have been 30+ resignations this year. Now you've moved up even more..

There are roughly 30 "A-Scale" captains left, of which about 1/2 have other roles in the company, such as training, recruiting, etc. Don't mention A Scale again. Their T&C's have remained unchanged since before A6-FDA arrived.

In 2 years, you will have at least 200 people junior to you in the company. Ive been here 4 years, and have over 400 people junior to me.

When pole shift says you will "NEVER be able to get a decent roster," it's BS! This company is growing so fast, that by the time you renew your visa, you will be in the middle of the pack.

Upgrades: Since upgrade #1, upgrades have kept their seniority. Since this company started, it has always been that way. 132 pages of pprune to read thru can confirm this..
If someone who came before you (SENIOR to you) as an F/O passes the upgrade, then they are still senior to you, as they have always been. You've just been lucky enough to have joined when we were hiring DEC's. There are many pilots here who came as F/O's during non DEC times, who were qualified as Capts when they joined.

COO email: A number of new pilots, unhappy with the PBS "allegedly" approached the CP with the idea of a petition to change PBS. COO email was to clarify the company's position.

As further destinations are added to the list, as winter approaches in the north, and the "super senior" get bored with Belgrade, Skopje, and the likes, things will improve for the more junior pilots. Mr pole shift has written mostly negative posts about being a FZ pilot, I read every one of his posts today.

I joined before we had any Russian. Ukraine, or other long flights. BEY was the longest, Baku was the furthest north. Soon, CMB night turn was the longest, I had 3 in sept 2010, as well as multiple day/night combos. We could only request 2 days off for the next month, had to be in by the 5th of the previous month.

And who can forget the 0200 DXB DOH DXB MCT DXB double sector, ending at 0940 when you were lucky?

So PBS isn't perfect, but it is able to give you up to 4 days off in a row, more if you really try. You can choose your poison, knowing your time at the bottom of the heap is going to be about 2 years. But now, there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Now, Its time to bid for next month..
More "injustice" I assume..
Cheers mate!

dubaigong
18th Aug 2014, 10:42
MCO951 ,

GREAT POST maybe one of the best since the thread about Flydubai has started... :ok:

I back up what you have said 100% and wish to see more people like you posting here to reflect more the reality at FZ and not only the exaggerated frustration of a very small amount. :D :D

skysod
19th Aug 2014, 06:12
Couldn't agree more, MCO951's post is a true and accurate account of Flydubai today. I personally am now in my 6th year with the company, so I've had the bad times and am now reaping the benefits of seniority.....long may it last!

Voodoo 3
19th Aug 2014, 07:02
Agree with the three above.

I am one of these dirty rotten A scalers and like all my aviation brothers, we are VERY happy with this PBS system. Why is it fair that someone who joins the company now has the pick of the trips when I and many others had rosters that brought grown men to their knees? Too many 24 hr rest periods, the 0210 four sector as mentioned, etc

We have this seniority based system now almost as a thanks and well done for putting up with so many bad rosters during the last few years. It ain't gonna change and so if you don't like or don't want it then please do not sign your contract and if you do sign then stop bleating about how you consider it to be so unfair and instead put the time in because as MCO says, you seniority is only ever going to go up.

Oh and by the way it's not only PBS's fault if you get a bad roster. I have seen some shocking bidding and frankly it's a wonder that people complain when they have done such a dross job in bidding in the first place.

It's a bit like an FMC, crap in - crap out.

MCO951
19th Aug 2014, 08:34
Before I joined FZ, "Randy BMC" was the voice of reason.

He was instrumental in helping me make an informed decision whether or not to uproot my family and take a chance on a new airline.

I do not pretend to be a replacement for Randy, but I think it is important for an objective description to still be provided on this forum.

There are many pros and cons to moving here, flying here, and living here.

We are in the midst of a major growth period. I want people who join us to be well informed, so when they come, there are no surprises.

If any pilot is seriously considering joining FZ, please read all the info you can, read the negative, filter what you need.

Check Property Real Estate for Sale and Rent. Jobs in the Middle East and North Africa , Free Classifieds in with Dubizzle.com (http://www.dubizzle.com) for prices of villas or flats, autos, furniture, etc. Look on google maps where you think you want to live.

I did all of this before I came here, so when I arrived, there weren't many surprises.

FZ is a good job. It may not be the best job in aviation, in the expat world, or even in Dubai. It is what you make of it. Right now, it is the best job for me, and for my family.

With the exception of the multi-level car park, every one of the changes (future improvements) described by mgmt before I joined, have come true. Change comes slowly, but eventually

I really only want to work with people who want to be here.

I didn't include the dubizzle link, it popped in after I posted..
Disclaimer: this is not an endorsement for said website..

FlyingTinCans
19th Aug 2014, 09:20
To the DECs, Ok your roster is going to be 'poor' for the next 2 years, but you are going to earn Approx 12,000AED more a month than if you joined at your correct seniority rank (an FO).

That's an extra salary of 288,000AED+ over the 2 years. - There's your compensation for your poor rosters.

If your rosters are that bad, ask for a demotion and give up the extra cash. Simple

VaniosLenos
22nd Aug 2014, 13:45
I kind of think that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Of course seniority is to be respected, but asking for demotion to get a good roster I believe is an exaggeration.
At the end of the day is what one makes of it. FZ is a good company to be part of, but it has the potential to become much better.
VL

737WNB
9th Nov 2015, 09:14
Guys, pretty old posts... But can anyone explain the overal situation at the moment... I've heard the moral is pretty low.. Apparently an exodus which have the top boys flying also out of their established bidding system!?

Tks

Commuter0815
17th Nov 2015, 10:48
I would be looking for inside info as well please.

I applied recently to EK but wondering if maybe FlyDubai would be not the better option(I actually, after 25 years in aviation still enjoy flying , especially shorter sectors) with similar(more or less) pay.

I would be willing to start again as FO(being a capt since 1999), I guess upgrade should be realistic and doable within 1-2 years as long as the company grows.

Any advice on that?

Other question - what is the actual pay(basic+flight pay+housing+education for kids) a FZ FO takes home.

Thanks in advance guys!

what-to-do
18th Nov 2015, 13:23
No idea, this is an FZ thread.

Speedoneeighty
18th Nov 2015, 17:53
For comparison:

My brother is a 737 LHS in UK

He makes £5knet his wife makes £1.5k net

£6.5k
Mortgage + bills + food+ car etc is £1.5-2k

That leaves him with £4.5-5k to save, invest, drink or whatever. Add to this the fact of 750hrs per year with the only sand being the bi annual holiday to europe.

FlyingTinCans
19th Nov 2015, 08:14
"Mortgage + bills + food+ car etc is £1.5-2k".......

Yea if you own a small terrace house in the north of the UK & drive a second hand Vauxhall Corsa that you and the wife share....

McNugget
20th Nov 2015, 02:02
What is the cost of living in Dubai with EK?

Harrythecod mentioned that he's on 70k a month excluding schooling and provident fund... how does that equate to real terms with living in Dubai?
Just trying to figure out the crossover mark when EK starts taking over CX in take home pay...

Sort of a bit apples to oranges, to me.

I believe Harry is a senior Captain, making 70k a month - HK$147,000.

A DEC friend of mine at EK makes about 56k a month - HK$118,000.

In CX (on a local package, including an amortised 13th month and being taxed overall at 13.5%, which is realistic):

- fresh CN makes about HK$159,000 - AED75k, net AED65k

After 2 years, said CX CN makes HK$177,000 - AED83k, net AED71.8k

Additional info -
A CX FO1 makes about HK$109,000 - AED51k, net AED44.1k

A CX SFO1 makes about HK$119,000 - AED56k, net AED48.4k

Based on that, EK take home pay increasing over CX is predicated on getting command far quicker at EK. Whether that materialises is anyone's guess.

I'm an FO1, 4.5 years in, and can only surmise that my command is anywhere from 6-9 years away. If I joined EK now, would it be quicker? Hard to say, but no sure thing.

I'd far rather live in HK, but I would appreciate the better accommodations that my $$ would get me in Dubai.

Food for thought.

fatbus
20th Nov 2015, 02:49
EK 14 years ,can't wait to leave , base pay @48k flying pay @6 k , not including provident , housing , education or training pay .

Fly4Fun
23rd Nov 2015, 21:24
Back on topic, rumors saying a lot of pilots leaving FZ. What are Flydubai eventually doing to stop people from leaving, is there any improvement on T&C?

dubaigong
24th Nov 2015, 03:49
How can you expect an improvement in T&C when they have just reduced the allowance for the annual leave ticket...:{:{:{
Stop dreaming and look at all the Middle East airlines forums and you will see that they continue to squeeze their workforce despite the high attrition rate.:ok:

737WNB
24th Nov 2015, 07:08
How can you expect an improvement in T&C when they have just reduced the allowance for the annual leave ticket...:{:{:{
Stop dreaming and look at all the Middle East airlines forums and you will see that they continue to squeeze their workforce despite the high attrition rate.:ok:

Unbelievable.. Can you share the staff travel policy? Impossible to fly in family & friends?

LostinT2DXB
24th Nov 2015, 07:15
There will be no improvement in pay or schedules. Transaero just went under, and they won't be the last. FZ survives by hiring pilots from bankrupt airlines. They come here and work happily for a time and then eventually are replaced with new pilots from same circumstances. First it was Excel, Kimber, and a few from North America. Then a few crap carriers from Saudi and Africa supplied the next group. People wanting out of China and the aeroCypo guys came next. Then when it seemed like there would never ever be anymore FOs to hire some office knob said lets hire every last flybe pilot, jet or turbo prop. All I'm saying is this place will find some desperate job seeker to fill the seat. By the time the needy have figured out the dark truth (WHICH IS CLEARLY SPELLED OUT HERE FOR ANYONE WHO BOTHERS TO READ ALL THE PREVIOUS POSTS!) that they will never see the sun or their family during the day again it's too late and they are locked in with loans, school fees, 12 months rental contract, Salik, and a pricey move if you bring the household. Other than that most crew I fly with are fairly pleasant chaps/gals as long as the subjects of salary, health insurance, reimbursements, staff parking, training, crew meals, bid awards, deadheading in row 32, and chief pilots meetings are avoided.

colo18
26th Nov 2015, 15:23
Hello guys

I might be joining FZ at the end of January. I would like to know if there is a chance to upgrade to captain in a short period of time. I am making a big sacrifice at this time since I am getting more money as a Private captain flying a Learjet 60 in my home country than I will make as FZ FO. However I would like to pursue my dream of becoming an airline captain.

I have more than 9000 hours with B737 time and also A320.

Appreciate your inputs.

I will not relocate my family to Dubai until I achieve that since I know the cost of living for my family would be crazy expensive (4 kids)...

what-to-do
26th Nov 2015, 15:43
Stay away from FZ, you WILL be disappointed.

I would trade my place with you in a heartbeat. Trust me, there is nothing special about being an airline captain on a 737, especially with these clowns at FZ.

If the job you have at home pays well and your family is happy, then stay put. The rosters here are appalling and have been since the company began operations (with the odd brief respite).

Seriously, FZ is an accident waiting to happen, and many, many pilots are leaving like the proverbial rats on a sinking ship....

Good luck and I hope you make the right decision.

p.s. who do you work for and what's their contact details...... just in case :-)

colo18
26th Nov 2015, 16:24
OMG that is not what I wanted to hear... Anyone else has the same advice?

I am so confused now! HELP

colo18
27th Nov 2015, 12:15
Thanks mate

As I could see you are both from FZ and know the real deal

I guess I rather stay here then. The only problem I have is that Private aviation is very volatile. I ended 6 months with no job in between this one and my previous one.

Therefore, with 4 kids and so much responsibility was trying to get something more stable.