PDA

View Full Version : 100 years ago today.

Motleycallsign
4th Aug 2014, 18:49
This country declared war on Germany at 2300hrs. The lights go out at 2200 for an hour in Remembrance. Our forbears and aviator ancestors flocked in their thousands to the call. We Will Remember Them

MPN11
4th Aug 2014, 18:58
Amen.

Much of my current reading, by coincidence, is WW1. What a tragedy for all concerned, and I'm not going to ramble about causes, preparedness or anything.

We will remember them

Wander00
4th Aug 2014, 19:10
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them

And to show we learn(ed) little from the war to end all wars, on Wednesday we are going with RAFA Sud Ouest France to the 70th anniversary commemoration of a Mosquito crew shot down and killed at Jonzac, one of several similar ceremonies this year

NutLoose
4th Aug 2014, 19:37
We will remember them, and I am so glad to see the youngters of today taking such an interest, when i was a lad it was a different story.

I was reading last night that we got the declaration of war wrong, and had to go ask the German Embassy for the letter back so we could re write it.

I was interested in seeing the RAF people parading in front of Prince Harry had no rank badges, seems like the everyones involved.

Courtney Mil
4th Aug 2014, 21:03
Wander00, do tell me more. Where is that?

Just a spotter
4th Aug 2014, 21:11
This country declared war on Germany at 2300hrs. The lights go out at 2200 for an hour in Remembrance. Our forbears and aviator ancestors flocked in their thousands to the call. We Will Remember Them

On a side historical note, 100 years ago, it was The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland that declared war. It was young men from both these islands, of all religions and none and, from an Irish perspective, from both sides of the then Home Rule debate (i.e. Nationalist & Unionist) that rallied to the call. For those with an interest in it, some historical background to the political situation from The Irish Times here One hundred years since John Redmond committed Ireland to the first World War (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/one-hundred-years-since-john-redmond-committed-ireland-to-the-first-world-war-1.1885199)

They are all being remembered on this side of the ditch too. This week a new Cross of Sacrifice was unveiled in Dublin's largest cemetery, Glasnevin, by the President and the Duke of Kent along with representatives of the Irish Defence Forces and British Military.

JAS

Courtney Mil
4th Aug 2014, 21:16
Good post, good reminder, JAS.

Motleycallsign
4th Aug 2014, 21:31
JaS, my maternal grandfather, who volunteered under age, was originally from Cork, so yes all those of the British Isles should be remembered

thing
4th Aug 2014, 21:53
Coincidentally my wife's grandfather was from Cork too. Lost a foot at the Somme. My own paternal grandfather was at Ypres as a machine gunner and my great uncle fought at Paschaendale. All of them survived the war.

strake
5th Aug 2014, 04:15
Courtney,

Jonzac is a town in the Charente Maritime region if the SW of France. During the war, the Kriegsmarine had a considerable underground munition dump there to supply ships in the nearby Gironde estuary (see Operation Frankton) where the Wolfpacks resided, near Bordeaux. The dump was seen as impervious to attack. Just weeks earlier, two young resistance fighters had given their lives in trying to destroy it - one died in the explosions and another was executed. Whether it was linked or not I don't know but about six weeks later on 6 August 1944, 151 Squadron attacked a munitions train at the rail yard in Jonzac and while recovering after the raid, the Mosquito of Sgt Clement Fletcher and W/O Donald MacRae crashed at the site. The people of Jonzac created the memorial to the flyers, near the station and every year, a warm and heartfelt ceremony takes place.
I live close by and am privileged to attend in the company of people whose parents told them the story of the night.

Wander00
5th Aug 2014, 07:07
Courtney - sorry, missed your post

Strake - see you there

BTW, it is planned that the replica Mosquito will fly over the ceremony, and beforehand will be at the Aero Club from about 1500hrs

CoffmanStarter
5th Aug 2014, 07:43
We Will Remember Them ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/poppies-7_zps541991c6.jpg

The ceramic poppies (each one is unique) at the Tower of London, representing the loss of British & Colonial lives lost during the Great War ...

The Blood Swept Lands And Seas of Red exhibition, by artist Paul Cummins, involves 888,246 ceramic poppies planted in the dry moat at the Tower.

A poppy has been made for each British and Colonial death during the war.

The first ceramic poppy was planted last month, with the final one due to be installed on Armistice Day.

The poppies are to be sold for £25 each, raising an estimated £15m for six Armed Forces Charities.

FantomZorbin
5th Aug 2014, 08:37
CoffmanStarter

Thank you for that picture. The aerial shot shown on TV last night displayed the entirety of the scene ... one vast pool of 'blood'. Exceptionally moving.

We must Remember Them as those that forget their history are condemned to repeat it.

strake
5th Aug 2014, 09:40
BTW, it is planned that the replica Mosquito will fly over the ceremony, and beforehand will be at the Aero Club from about 1500hrs

Yes, I noticed that. The replica looks good in the air. Opinion would appear to be divided when it comes to the sound or when it is on the ground but I like the idea behind it and I particularly like the pilot, Jack Krine, who lives his reputation to the full.

Wander00
5th Aug 2014, 11:11
Strake - I was involved with an old school friend in getting the replica to the UK last year, and it went back to the LAA Rally and picked up some prizes.

strake
5th Aug 2014, 11:46
I think I read the report - I've seen it flying at a few displays here and it's a fine gesture for tomorrow at Jonzac and will be most appreciated by all.

Wander00
5th Aug 2014, 15:32
Strake - I will be easy to identify tomorrow - blue blazer, RAF tie...........

strake
5th Aug 2014, 16:52
;) I'll be at the back.

Jackw106
5th Aug 2014, 17:22
Norwich 4th August

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjuKAW8bpFU&list=UUmcKRLr1PqgPOV_dTti31rw