PDA

View Full Version : flying trip around Oz!

galwaypilot
4th Aug 2014, 11:17
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what is needed to rent a C172 or equivalent around Oz for 3-4 weeks. What price should be expected per block hour.

I have an EASA (UK) licence and a valid SEP attached.

If you can share any experiences that you had whilst flying around Oz yourself just to give me a first hand flavour of what to expect would be great!

Pontius
4th Aug 2014, 12:33
First stop (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90024)

FiveHundred_AGL
4th Aug 2014, 13:46
You can apply for a COV (Certificate of Validation), it consists of a flight review which would require some training to pass (perhaps 10 hours in a 172 at $300 ph). The COV lets you fly in Aus with a foreign licence for 3 months, it is for pilots on holidays basically.

You would require an ASIC (Aviation Security Identification Card) if you were to fly in and out of security controlled airports.

I presume you have an English speaking standard printed on your licence, so would not need to sit the English test, you should also have a Flight Radio Operators License which should carry over (Printed on your licence)

You would expect to hire a 172 for approx $250 per engine running hour.

Most flight schools should be able to do your COV, as with everything in aviation, just be careful to not let them take you for a run.

Do your COV at the place you intend to hire from, saves you another check flight.

Recourses: Flight Instructor in AUS, NSW

Creampuff
5th Aug 2014, 00:19
10 hours for a licensed pilot to convince someone they can fly a 172? You’re taking the P one double S. :eek:

bankrunner
5th Aug 2014, 01:03
Then how long does it take CASA to turn around a COV?

I've been hearing figures like 3 months being thrown around...

bentleg
5th Aug 2014, 01:57
The ASIC card can take a while to get, so start early!
Aviation ID Australia | Professional ASIC Distribution Centre (http://www.aviationidaustralia.com.au/application.html)

Aussie Bob
5th Aug 2014, 05:31
I don't think 3 - 4 weeks is long enough. Plan what you would like to see and work around that. East coast for beaches night life and people. Desert for camping, hot weather and aussie "personalities" or Western Australia for a bit of both and a spectacular wilderness coastline.

So much to see, so little time, plan one or two states perhaps. Where are you planning on starting from?

500N
5th Aug 2014, 05:49
It's not always hot in the desert, especially at night !

Pontius
5th Aug 2014, 08:52
I agree with Creampuff regarding the flight review. If the guy is already current on the 172 then there should be no need for any sort of flying training, since the EASA stuff is the same as the CASA stuff; so just go out and do the 'test'.

A sit down beforehand with a chat about CTAF procedures etc would be useful but, apart from that, it's flying a 172, not launching a manned mission to faraway planets..........unless you're planning on flying to Cook, which is the same as Mars.

The 172s I rent cost just under $220/hour for club members. You need to add $50/day for non-club members if you're going to take the thing away for a while, so you'd obviously be better off joining the club.

1Charlie
5th Aug 2014, 09:13
See if you can still get the 'special pilots license'. I got one a couple of years ago which allows me to fly using my NZ CAA PPL during private day VFR flights on my NZ medical for the lifetime of my NZ licence. No need for a check provided I've done a BFR in NZ with the last two years. It cost about $200 and I had to send them evidence of my licence from NZ CAA along with log book pages etc, and you will need an ASIC.

cowl flaps
5th Aug 2014, 10:59
I'd say if you are planning on yourself + 3 pax + fuel + luggage, you'd be pushing 'the proverbial' uphill in a C172.

I did it in a C182RG and that was just OK for myself + 3 pax. With 2 pax, a C172 should do alright.

We took 5 weeks (just about enough time), & stuck mainly to the coast, as we had all done the red centre, the eastern states & tassie on other trips.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz143/xxxxlager/AroundOz_zpsa321819d.jpg (http://s822.photobucket.com/user/xxxxlager/media/AroundOz_zpsa321819d.jpg.html)

FiveHundred_AGL
5th Aug 2014, 11:04
I said 10 hours because I was trying to be realistic, you need to demonstrate competency in our airspace, using our charts etc. Now I'm not going to pretend I know how different our charts, airspace, and procedures are to yours at home, but I presume it might take a couple of navs before you really feel comfortable. Now if you're happy to just blast off solely relying on GPS and not really understanding the airspace around you, that's a different story. Maybe you can pick it up in much less than 10 hours, if so - good! But how people interperpeted my post as to think I meant 10 hours training on HOW to fly a 172 is beyond me.

All the best.

halas
5th Aug 2014, 12:17
"Now if you're happy to just blast off solely relying on GPS and not really understanding the airspace around you, that's a different story."

I do that every time l go to work :}

Cowl Flaps... Your missing the best bits in South Australia!

halas

Clare Prop
5th Aug 2014, 14:10
Used to cater for this sort of thing all the time until CASA moved everything to Canberra.

I gave up years ago trying to get Certificates of Validation issued. The last person who tried it gave up after nine months. They took the money on day 1 of course. However after part 61 comes along this will get easier, provided it doesn't get delayed again.

Pontius
5th Aug 2014, 14:28
Now if you're happy to just blast off solely relying on GPS and not really understanding the airspace around you, that's a different story.

Why the sensationalism? Does a coastline, railway line, road, lake, forest look different on a VFR chart in Australia compared to anywhere else in the world? Of course it doesn't. Does ICAO (there's a clue there) airspace and the associated regulations differ so greatly and are any differences not specified in easily researched publications? Of course not. The differences between flying in Ireland and Oz would be far better addressed on the ground and not in the air. Entering Class D airspace is the same in Euroland as it is Downunder. Flying a 172 in Ireland is the same as in Oz and all the handling skills expected of an Australian pilot in the BFR are the same as expected of Galwaypilot.

There are differences that are certainly worth being very aware of, including the lack of anything for a bloody long time when flying Oz, so VFR nav may be more challenging, survival aspects, engine heating rather than cooling etc etc but this does not need to be covered in the air with the Hobbs Meter running.

But how people interperpeted my post as to think I meant 10 hours training on HOW to fly a 172 is beyond me.

Maybe because you wrote:

it consists of a flight review which would require some training to pass (perhaps 10 hours in a 172 at $300 ph)

As 1Charlie said, the OP would be far better off getting the SPL and not the COV. This is specifically designed for those on holiday who want to fly privately. A BFR is required and nobody is suggesting that is not a good idea but 10 hours to 'familiarise' someone with flying in Oz and preparing for a BFR would be way over the top. A read of the VFR guide and Galway pilot should be on his way in a couple of hours.....but keep a GPS in the back pocket just in case :ok:

Clare Prop
5th Aug 2014, 17:20
There won't be such a thing as a special pilots licence from September. And no chance of getting one issued before then if you are overseas. When are you planning to get here?

Tinstaafl
6th Aug 2014, 21:21
The OP shouldn't have a problem with Oz airspace. Nav isn't that hard, just plan via decent features & be prepared to hold a heading for extended periods. About the only new things to consider for an EASA licence holder would be Oz remote area & alternate requirements, always planning for range, high temps, and always phoning ahead to check for fuel & ALA condition (and phoning ahead for fuel/conditions isn't exactly novel for a UK/Ireland based pilot used to PPR as normal procedure).

Maybe an hour in someone's 172 to check that nav & handling techniques are sound after a decent briefing about Oz peculiar stuff.

Mach E Avelli
6th Aug 2014, 22:23
Once you have a special pilot licence, c of v or one of the new recreational licences (see CASA's new Part 61) and assuming that you are competent, you should find someone who will hire out a 172 or equivalent after a short checkride. If an instructor can't assess a competent pilot in an hour you are probably being ripped off.
If you want to see the real Australia by air, the last places you need to go to are security controlled airports, so it can be done with careful planning without the ASIC bull****.
Have a look at www.stolspeed.com (http://www.stolspeed.com) where John G has produced a map showing airstrips within walking distance of pubs, food and sometimes fuel.
If you could hire an aircraft approved to run on MOGAS, so much the better.

QDMQDMQDM
9th Aug 2014, 12:37
Get in right now to apply for your special pilots licence before they vanish from September and it all gets harder.

ACMS
10th Aug 2014, 00:23
Pull back, houses get smaller
Push forward, houses get bigger.

I know the water runs down the drain the other way in the Northern Hemisphere but don't C172's fly the same everywhere? :D

Honestly Australia is no harder to Navigate around than anywhere else in the world after a bit of pre flight planning and study for a competent experienced Pilot. That's what a half decent competent instructor could ascertain in only around 1 hour, hell he could find out a lot about the guy just speaking to him before the check flight...

Some of you guys crack me up.

Clare Prop
10th Aug 2014, 04:16
No way would a Special licence be issued before the end of September. CASA tells me they have been taking up to 12 months to process these.

After September the process will be:

Air Law exam
Flight Review
Australian PPL issued

Much simpler, a lot less dealing with Canberra and most of the work and document verification done at the flying school level. :ok: