PDA

View Full Version : Cuts to UK Apache fleet

Ronald Reagan
4th Aug 2014, 10:39
Sorry no link for this but I am hearing that around 20% to 25% of the British Army Apache fleet are to be mothballed.

With 2sq on Tornado GR4 disbanding next year and in recent years 12, 13, 14 and 617 having all gone there is soon going to be hardly anything left.
When they dumped the Jaguar I assumed they would stick with Harrier and Tornado, but they came for the Harrier, scalped some GR4s at the same time, binned the Tornado F-3 totally and now are rapidly binning the GR4s. Along side this there are still very few Typhoons and likely ever will be, plus if F-35 comes then it will be in such small numbers as to almost be useless.

Yet the dear Prime Minister enjoys talking tough with regards NATO!

barnstormer1968
4th Aug 2014, 11:34
Is that 20-25% of the flying fleet! or the same percentage of the total bought.
There is a big difference there, and if 20-25% of the total buy was mothballed we would probably have more airframes to fly :)

Ronald Reagan
4th Aug 2014, 11:55
Very late night flying ? FighterControl ? Home to the Military Aviation Enthusiast (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=101059)

They are talking about it here along with other things.

I am not 100% sure though I got the impression it was a reduction in the ''flying fleet''

Boudreaux Bob
4th Aug 2014, 12:16
Now that the British Army has more Horses than Tanks it would appear it is becoming more a Ceremonial Army than a Combat Army. So perhaps returning to an aerial display team of Bell 47's will follow.:E

chopper2004
4th Aug 2014, 17:55
Scroll down the page and see last month, a regiment had one squadron mothballed

Army Air Corps - British Army Website (http://www.army.mod.uk/aviation/air.aspx)

Cheers

melmothtw
4th Aug 2014, 18:39
...the restructuring, carried out as part of the Army 2020 reforms, will see 4 Regt AAC reduce from three to two squadrons, but retain its manning levels and helicopters to deliver squadrons better-equipped to support 16 Air Assault Brigade.

Vendee
4th Aug 2014, 19:20
They are definitely losing 16 airframes although one of them is already cat 4 after a "power cable infraction".

MAD Boom
5th Aug 2014, 19:27
With 2sq on Tornado GR4 disbanding next year and in recent years 12, 13, 14 and 617 having all gone there is soon going to be hardly anything left.

But 14 Sqn is now back with a far more punchy piece of kit.....only with less Navigators......hurrah! :ok:

Dengue_Dude
5th Aug 2014, 20:37
Not to worry guys, the Canadians are reinforcing us - that Lanc is on its way . . .

DON'T PANIC!