PDA

View Full Version : FAA SE CPL&ME add-on vs ME CPL

shinigami
3rd Aug 2014, 19:20
I was wondering which way is much smarter? I do not need SE CPL just ME CPL IR.

First choice is 10hrs of complex flight SE CPL Checkride + 8-10 hrs of ME flight and another checkride, which is total of 2 checkrides and less ME hours. But a little bit cheaper. Also need 240 hours for this one.

Second choice is 25hrs of ME flight and ME CPL checkride. 1 checkride on total, more ME hours and to start this training i need 225 hours. (15 hours less time building).

For me there is only $1000 between, what should i do? I thought since i just need ME CPL, i should take the second choice because i'll focus only one airplane for 25 hours and have 1 checkride. What do you think?

pilotchute
3rd Aug 2014, 19:58
Doing the CPL check ride in a single is much less stress than in a multi. If you feel that you can can pass the check first time in a multi then do the multi only.

Why no need for the single engine CPL?

shinigami
3rd Aug 2014, 20:10
When i apply for a job only ME CPL counts and same for frozen atpl. I'll do easa conversion.

I am not familiar with checkrides on both options but in the first option there are 2 check rides so there is more possiblity for fail. Also i am not sure if 10 hours of complex airplane training will be enough for SE CPL checkride.

But in ME CPL checkride i'll have enough time to practice since it is 25 hours of training. I am not sure really what to do.

pilotchute
3rd Aug 2014, 22:33
You sound like you have already made your decision. Why don't you just do your licence in Greece or Poland? Much less hassle and not that different in price compared to what you are proposing.

shinigami
4th Aug 2014, 07:27
it takes more time getting an easa cpl, almost 2-3 months on the other hand 2-3 weeks in USA. i got a quote from bartolini air from poland and probably i'll convert my FAA license in Turkish CAA which is only 2-3 hours of flight instead of easa conversion which is at least 20 hours. if i prefer that option, it is at least $5000-6000 cheaper than getting an easa CPL.

but i still need to decide whether get my MEL CPL IR with SE CPL + ME add-on or initial ME CPL. i am waiting advices on that.

pilotchute
4th Aug 2014, 11:05
I think your time frames are a little off. A CPL in the USA will take about 6 months. Where did you get 2-3 weeks from?

Converting a CPL will also cost a bit more than 6 k. Have you factored in living expenses and flight?

shinigami
4th Aug 2014, 11:14
I am going to get my CPL in part 61 so it is 16-18 hrs of flight if i do SE CPL + ME add-on. If initial ME CPL it is around 20 hrs of flight and 5 hrs of simulation which both is around 2-3 weeks.

Converting CPL with Turkish CAA is rather easy than easa conversion. 2-3 hours flight so not that expensive, you are right if i do easa conversion, it is expensive.

The most important question is, since i am not familiar with CPL checkrides, should i do 10hrs complex training take SE CPL checkride + 6-10hrs ME training and another checkride for MEL? or just take the ME CPL checkride with 25 hours training. Which is more plausible and easy in terms of checkride?

pilotchute
4th Aug 2014, 15:14
Buddy,

The time frames you are quoting are based on you already having a PPL.

A FAA CPL-ME-IR is going to take at least six months.

How much research have you done??

pilotchute
4th Aug 2014, 15:19
I have just checked your previous posts and discovered you already have a FAA PPL.

You should already know the answer to these questions your asking. There is no magic way to do what you want. Stop wasting people's time with your inability to decide on a relatively simple problem.

shinigami
4th Aug 2014, 16:21
I though this is a place for current pilots or future pilots in education to discuss experience or knowledge. I am sorry you though it was a waste of time.

My question was just which option should i choose given the experience of individual who has already chosen one of them. My only concern was would seperate SE CPL and ME add on checkrides considered harder than one ME CPL checkride. Again sorry wasting your time but other people maybe in my condition might use some advice on that matter.

edit: i forgot to add my previous licenses to my original question but bearing in mind that i just asked which way of getting CPL is much wiser, also given flight hour time which indicates it is standalone CPL training.

BAe 146-100
4th Aug 2014, 22:16
FAA CPL Multi Initial is a fairly easy checkride but the oral covers both multi questions and commercial questions, so the oral is harder. The flight portion is a cross country to start with and then you do Multi maneuvers such as vmc demo, se approach, engine re start in-flight, as well as steep turns, slow flight etc. But what makes it different (and easier) from the SE CPL is that there is no power off 180 or any other commercial maneuvers such as chandelles, lazy 8's etc.

The other thing is doing it this way, all commercial requirements must be met in the multi engine, that's why not all schools offer it as an option. But if you have no use in the single engine commercial, I would advise anyone just do a multi commercial.

pilotchute
4th Aug 2014, 22:40
Why aren't you discussing this with your flying school?

shinigami
5th Aug 2014, 07:34
@BAe 146-100

Thank you, this was the answer i was looking for. I really appreciate your comment.

@pilotchute

Thank you for your comments. I have discussed with my school but they told me the first choice is more cost efficient so that might be a better option. On the other hand as BAe 146-100 said, second option might be a little expensive than the first but more logical since i do not need CPL SE. Again, sorry if i offended you somehow.

aless85
5th Aug 2014, 16:04
@Pilotchute

Settle down Captain Happy!!

pilotchute
5th Aug 2014, 18:19
I am happy thank you.

Shinigami,

Do what's more cost effective. I assume it's not your money your spending. If your going to fly for Turkish or whatever then what you do for your FAA check ride is irrelevant.

shinigami
5th Aug 2014, 20:34
It is actually my money that i am spending, there is only 700-900 dollars difference between two options and with only 1 chekride it will drop because of the examiners fee. I'll choose the second option and do the initial ME CPL since i'll focus on one airplane and its systems etc for the whole training and have one check ride. That seems a little bit more wiser than getting use to 2 airplanes in shorter periods and getting 2 checkrides. Again, i appreciate your comments.

rick1128
6th Aug 2014, 20:03
While many schools offer a MEL CPL, some also offer to do a SE addon after the commercial checkride. While at this time you do not foresee using your single engine rating commercially, times change and opportunities are what they are. I have seen guys miss out on excellent opportunities because they didn't have the proper commercial ratings.

Whatever school you are going to check with them about the possibility of doing the SE add-on and cost. Depending on the examiner, what you have to do should be limited to normal SE maneuvers and the maneuvers that are not done in the ME.

Good luck.

shinigami
7th Aug 2014, 18:10
Thanks for the info, i'll consider getting a SE CPL add-on but i am positively sure that there is no job opportunity in my counry for a SE CPL owner. Thank you.

Tinstaafl
8th Aug 2014, 00:45
You should also consider the cost of extra training if you don't get to the required standard in the time you've budgeted. It's usually cheaper to do extra training in a single.