PDA

View Full Version : Annual Operating Costs light single or twin.

DADDY-OH!
3rd Aug 2014, 16:24
Hi,
I'm thinking of starting a group for a PA34 or PA46. Does anyone have any idea of the hourly, monthly and annual operating costs?

Many thanks in advance.

D-O! ;)

AdamFrisch
3rd Aug 2014, 16:31
It's almost a how long is a piece of string thing: there are no hard figures to be had.

But here in the US, on a non-turbo, simple twin, you can count on the annual to be somewhere between $6-10K. This is if nothing major breaks or needs replacing. On a higher end twin with turbos etc like my Aerostar, then you're looking at $8-15K, probably. It all depends on how much needs fixing. Add another 30% in Europe because of the more onerous paperwork and maintenance bureaucracy, and you should be in the ballpark.

But if things go bad, you need to replace cylinders, turbos, waste gates, hoses, have a crack in a supporting structure etc, then it can balloon real quick. You can easily spend $50K on just fixing stuff.

I don't break it down into cost per hour as it's far too depressing, but if I did the Aerostar would be in the $400-450/hr category. My previous twin probably in the $300/hr category. However, if you're starting a group then you need to figure out a ballpark hourly cost unless you can get members that are willing to just share any upcoming expense equally.

Capt Kremmen
3rd Aug 2014, 17:11
Daddy Oh

The answer is quite a lot. Go Permit instead. Virtually the same performance at half or less the cost.

Jan Olieslagers
3rd Aug 2014, 17:13
Can the PA34 or PA46 be operated on a permit?

Rod1
3rd Aug 2014, 17:57
"Can the PA34 or PA46 be operated on a permit? "

No

Rod1

Capt Kremmen
3rd Aug 2014, 18:14
Crossing 'T's and dotting 'I's and anything else that covers all eventualities.

Select a Permit aircraft. There's a list on the LAA website

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Aug 2014, 18:27
How to work out the costs.

Look for adverts on places like AFORS, UKGA, club noticeboards of shares in similar types.

Most syndicates are run about break-even.

So, if you know the costs in those adverts, and what percentage share the advert is for - you can work out the true operating costs very quickly.

Not many twins or turbine singles on permits!

G

Capt Kremmen
3rd Aug 2014, 19:14
Genghis

That's right but, think about how much you're saving !

Depends what you want. If you want to skoot around the sky in something sexy and fast that will cost you plenty.

If you have plenty on the hip it doesn't matter.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Aug 2014, 20:13
Of course.

Me'self, I have a small touring share with an airways fit that'll do night and IMC, and a larger share in a cheap LAA taildragger.

But the OP did ask about the PA34 or PA46. Horses for courses and all that.

G

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Aug 2014, 21:10
Look at what the flight schools in your area charge for Pa 34's. That will be the lowest possible cost per hour to you.

Capt Kremmen
4th Aug 2014, 10:07
Yes but, he/she also referred to costs, which prompted my comment.

DADDY-OH!
4th Aug 2014, 10:21
Thanks Guys! You've given me plenty to go on.