PDA

View Full Version : One Down in Mildura

Alloverit
3rd Aug 2014, 07:39
News just flashed up a plane has done a forced landing on a Mildura golf course.

Perspective
3rd Aug 2014, 13:24
Well according to the H/Sun, it was a
Jaberoo! And landed because he had
"Some problem with the Undercarriage".!

le Pingouin
3rd Aug 2014, 14:29
So it's the undercarriage that turns the fan thing at the front is it?

Veteran pilot a ?hero? after plane crash landing - YouTube

Jack Ranga
3rd Aug 2014, 15:23
Another paddock??

le Pingouin
3rd Aug 2014, 15:49
That's a bit harsh Jack! The green keeper might take offence.....

Rod Con
3rd Aug 2014, 22:37
Hero Pilot! I thinks it's great the Media always call the pilot a hero, even if it's his/her fault. "He missed missed the school yard" ETC (Not saying this bloke was at fault)

Ultralights
4th Aug 2014, 02:40
engine ran terribly rough and lost power, based on previous experience, sounds like a broken through bolt.. i would even bet lunch on it.

Squawk7700
4th Aug 2014, 02:51
I'm waiting for someone to tell me the exact cause of why the thru bolts keep breaking considering that they were mostly all replaced a year or so back. Either the owners neglected to replace them, it wasn't done properly or that wasn't the original problem..

Other than that the odd valve or two snaps off but that's usually due to heat and the leak down usually picks that up before it happens of actually performed.

Jabawocky
4th Aug 2014, 03:25
I will bet two lunches the reason is the way the bolts are torqued up.

I sat with Mike Busch and Bill Ross (TCM/CMI) discussing the methods of torquing case bolts the other day and the variation in tensile load from a dry Vs lubed and the method of actually turning the wrench.

I reckon that the variation is very wide and most folk would not even consider this to be a problem.

The smart way would be, in the absence of very sophisticated equipment, o torque to an initial known partial torque then use an angular value after that.

Many folk in the racing community will know exactly why this works so accurately but aviation is slow on such ideas.

Squawk7700
4th Aug 2014, 03:48
Jabba you are supposed to be on holidays at Oshkosh and other aviation destinations, not tapping away on prune.

You and Jack had better post lots of photos or there will be trouble !

Ps I think you are correct above. By putting in some over-sized thru bolts you can't help but think that you would be safe.... However...

Perspective
4th Aug 2014, 12:37
For the most part Jaba, They (Through Bolts) are the same in name only,
Some early TCM O-200 had Through Bolt failure's that was partially put
down to Timing, which was altered.
They (Jabs) have only recently gone to Waisted Through bolts, but that again was not the whole picture, as the original through bolts suffered from thread
termination in the shank of the through bolt, add to that the Yield strength of the smaller through bolts resulted in many breakages, almost always #4 cylinder.
I seem to remember If you changed the Cylinder base nut to 12 point early on you, could wait until a Top to change to bigger through bolts.
There is also very good reason the GA engines use plain nuts instead of lock nuts, and no Loctite..
The larger through bolt engines seem to definitely be a better direction..