PDA

View Full Version : quick silly question

Mutterer
1st Aug 2014, 19:37
Military aircraft canopies have what appears to be a continous metal zigzag along their length, at the highest point.

Mrs M asked me, while watching the Red Arrows programme, what this was.

I had to confess that I did not have a clue :\.

Could somebody help me out here, please

CoffmanStarter
1st Aug 2014, 19:39
MDC. Miniature Detonation Cord. It breaks the Perspex as part of the Ejection Sequence.

NutLoose
1st Aug 2014, 19:41
Not a silly question welcome to the forum, it is called MDC which is an explosive cord stuck to the inside of the canopy, it's purpose during the ejection sequence is to shatter the canopy into millions if little pieces that the seat and occupant can pass through.

BOAC
1st Aug 2014, 19:44
Just to complete - used where the crew eject though the canopy (to reduce delay). There are 'canopy breakers' on the top of the seats but to preserve the sky gods' looks the canopy is normally 'fractured' by the MDC at the point of pulling the handle - except mine didn't - the MDC fired lead plasma down into my face but did not break the canopy - which is why I'm so ugly............:O

smujsmith
1st Aug 2014, 19:46
Mutterer,

I think that Nutloose and Coffman have answered your query. There's no such thing as a silly question on PPRUNE, we all have something to learn, and most of these blokes have answers that help. I hope you enjoy some of the threads on the Mil Forum, I'm sure no one will decry any questions you may have on any subject.

Smudge:ok:

Mutterer
1st Aug 2014, 19:53
Grateful thanks to all, I shall now go and boast about your collective knowledge.

NutLoose
1st Aug 2014, 19:57
This shows how it works, well, not the first test

Ejection Seat Comparison - YouTube

Oh and when she asks why not all of them have it, some have pistons that force the canopy up into the airflow and that whips it off before the seat ejects :). Or as in the F-111 it ejects the cockpit as a capsule.

BOAC
1st Aug 2014, 20:38
Didn't fancy the first one's ride................

How long have they been usibg the Muslim Brotherhood for the MDC trials?

bill2b
1st Aug 2014, 21:46
Is it MDC or LCC ?

Background Noise
1st Aug 2014, 22:09
Well, both. The wiggly stuff, as asked ref the Red Arrows Hawks, is MDC.

Hempy
2nd Aug 2014, 06:04
Or as in the F-111 it ejects the cockpit as a capsule.

Except when it doesn't! So says the story of the 'uncommanded (sic) partial ejection' where the control lines happily severed as per sequence one, but the capsule failed to leave the aircraft as per sequence two. Apparently General Dynamics engineering got a mention on the tapes on the way down..