PDA

View Full Version : Training in Darwin

wrekfly
1st Aug 2014, 10:56
I've been keen for some time to to get my PPL and eventually CPL, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it up here. I grew up here and cannot move down south due to work commitments. I work week on/week off so have plenty of free time but no one to train me.

Met one dodgy pilot in a remote NT location who said he'd train me, but he was asking double anything reasonable.

Are there any other options for me up here?

Flying Bear
2nd Aug 2014, 01:18
The provision of flight training in Darwin has been a shambles for a very long time...

Darwin Flying School, AV8, etc all tried and all failed. Although Darwin is a large(ish) city, it seems to never have been able to support a flying school - but I guess one has never really been properly run there either...

Current options:

There is some training capability at Emkaytee, but it might be limited to RA stuff only (not sure).

The Alice Springs Aero Club maintain a satellite base at Batchelor and have a few instructors who are potentially available in Darwin who can possibly provide training at mutually agreeable times, but you may have to provide an aircraft. There are a few of these about that you could probably get for training purposes.

Contact the Alice Springs Aero Club (Dave Forsyth is the CFI there) and he can steer you in the right direction.