PDA

View Full Version : Scandinavian Airlines Recruitment (SAS)

clamchowder
30th Jul 2014, 18:18
Scandinavian are recruiting?...

I am unable to finish the application because it doesn't let me upload a passport photo which is a required field... Anyone else having similar issues?

Why does it seem not one airline, regardless of reputation, can put together a fully working online recruitment process?

mad_jock
30th Jul 2014, 18:32
Whats your nationality?

clamchowder
30th Jul 2014, 19:37
here is a link for those interested

SAS Group SAS Flight Operations - New SAS Pilots 2014 (http://sas.easycruit.com/vacancy/1109719/78281?iso=gb)

antes56
31st Jul 2014, 08:20
Do you know or learning a scandinavian language?

mad_jock
31st Jul 2014, 08:39
that's why I asked what nationality you are.

They have to advertise across the whole of Europe, but that is to show compliant.

Unless you are a native speaker in one of the Scandinavian lingos you won't have a chance.

The freedom of labour concept of the EU doesn't sit very well in Scandinavia.

MichaelPL
31st Jul 2014, 09:55
Are you sure about 'native speaker' mad_jock? Is decent fluency not enough and the stated requirement of 'Berlitz level 4' just a hoax?

mad_jock
31st Jul 2014, 10:18
Its an excuse to hire Scandinavians.

There are more than enough unemployed locals they have no need to look outside.

The Swedish pilots union is very powerful and it is very Swedish pilots for Swedish jobs.

Realistically the only thing that matters is English because there are 4 lingos and finnish is acceptable but completely incomprehensible to the other country's.

The language is not a barrier as I know a Yugoslavian refugee that flys for them and his Swedish is very good but not native. But he holds a Swedish passport.

Go for it though and apply the worst thing that can happen is they say no thanks but don't get your hopes up to much.

It is not the same as applying to BA who if you hold the right to work in the EU will have no problems with what passport you hold and neither will the union.

MichaelPL
31st Jul 2014, 14:44
Cheers for the reply. Thought you might have some insider info.

I'm well aware of the amount of unemployed locals in scandilands. Still hoping though, it's not only for Sweden but also NO and DK. The starting wage is not all that attractive for locals either...

Anyway it does seem it's more of a market research than a recruitment drive - the application window opened early in January 2014 and the deadline is 31 December.

sellect
31st Jul 2014, 20:55
mad_jock

Where did you see that finish is acceptable? It is not..

mad_jock
1st Aug 2014, 13:37
Its on that link for a start.

Suomi.

Even a scotsman knows that means finnish.

But you obviously know better than me.

Doesn't change the fact that it is is extremely unlikely for sourthen european pilots to have a chance in hell of a job.

stn
4th Aug 2014, 09:02
I doubt that Finnish would be acceptable as they've listed "scandinavian language" as a requirement. Finnish isn't one of the scandinavian languages nor is Finland part of the scandinavia.

North Germanic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Germanic_languages)

However, as Swedish for the time being is one of the Finland's official languages, every finn learns atleast a bit of swedish during school. Quite usually people study swedish for six long years.

dera
6th Aug 2014, 04:20
The "Suomi" simply changes the language of the website, requirement is fluency (Berlitz level 4 hardly is fluent though) in a Scandinavian language. This means Danish, Swedish or Norwegian.

Most Finns do speak Swedish to Berlitz level 4 though, and for example a native German speaker can pick up Swedish to level 4 in a couple of months.