PDA

View Full Version : ATPL UK TRAINING??

tedwest96
29th Jul 2014, 21:35
I am 18 years old, addicted to flying with 15 hours so far.

I have always wanted to pursue a career as a pilot, however I do not seem to meet the entry requirements of a couple of training schools. The problem I am having is with my GCSE's, I did not go to sixth form to study A-Levels as I went straight into work to fund the flying!

I have 9 GCSE's in total grades A-C, the problem being that my Maths overall grade was an E.

Are there any ways around the requirements of a C in Maths, or any flying schools that anyone can recommend to me? will not having a C affect my chances greatly?

Please help!

RichardH
30th Jul 2014, 08:10
You could always go to college to get a better GCSE Maths (don't bother with foundation level). I wouldn't worry about A levels too much.

The entry requirements are presumable for an integrated course, so this might be a bar. However going modular you are unlikely to find such restrictions other than how big a cheque you or your Dad can write.

They are lots of commercial pilots out there without a good GCSE Maths grade, so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. HOWEVER the ability to do basic trig, ratios, manipulate formula, distance/speed/time calculations to name a few will be VITAL.

Some of the schools even offer maths & physics revision courses/DVDs prior to attending the main ATPLs, suggest this might be a better option.

OhNoCB
30th Jul 2014, 09:32
Regardless of whether you can or can not find a course/school that you can enroll in without a C in Maths, I would strongly recommend going and getting a C or better before you start commercial flight training. Not only will it open more options for you school wise, it will also help you through the course (how much depends on who you ask probably) and will (arguably most importantly) open a few more doors whenever you are looking for a job afterwards.

Why someone with the licence and ratings required needs grade C at GCSE to work for some operators I don't know. It may just be a way of ruling out some more applications, but you may as well go and get the grade now and not leave yourself short of options.

I imagine you could do a Maths GCSE fairly quick if it was all that you were focusing on?

tedwest96
31st Jul 2014, 14:00
Thanks for your advice, I have had a think and definitely going to retake my Maths, however I think the Foundation course would be better for me as its been 2 years since I left school! do most flight training academies (CTC, CAEOAA ETC) accept the Foundation Course where you can only get a C Grade?

tedwest96
31st Jul 2014, 20:28
Thanks for your help, I have decided I am going to retake my Maths however at this stage and after leaving school over 2 years ago I am going to go for the Foundation Paper. Would a school like CAE OR CTC WINGS accept this on their entry requirements?

IFly85
1st Aug 2014, 15:28
Hi

If you are keen studying alone its worth trying Bristol GS, The Best so Far !!

Thanks.

RichardH
1st Aug 2014, 16:29
Many employers & colleges are getting wise to the foundation level maths, which is little short of a joke and don't accept them and are starting to look for grade B as a minimum, ie full GCSE. I don't believe foundation will cover the areas you need to know well enough and it could be a false economy.

I should save your money and do a full GCSE maths, even get some private tuition if you are so keen to get into CTC/CAE etc. Start TODAY as the exam system is about to get tougher from 2015- not before time.

As stated before I think there are better options for your situation.

paco
1st Aug 2014, 18:09
And Richard knows what he is talking about :)

turbopropulsion
2nd Aug 2014, 11:57
Not to sound rude, but how did you get an E in maths? You've got to go back and fix that! Don't worry though, you are still young and have plenty of time on your side. Study hard :-)