PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Hawk jet fighter (moved)

Anthony Appleyard
28th Jul 2014, 04:55
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Hawk

How much runway length does the Hawk jet fighter need?

Can it land and take off on grass?

(The Red Arrows use Hawks.)

Exascot
28th Jul 2014, 05:25
Why have you posted this in Jet Blast?

PacWest
28th Jul 2014, 06:08
Anthony Appleyard, the 'hawks' over on the military thread would no doubt be pleased to answer your question and, with more respect than the first respondent to reply on THIS thread. :)

`

Mac the Knife
28th Jul 2014, 06:27
I dunno, but I do know that we in South Africa have the first tranche of the 24 that we bought in the infamous Arms Deal - seeing as we have less than a dozen FJ qualified aircrew and can't afford to keep either AC or the aircrew at minimum hours you may want to make an offer.

And the less said about the Gripen's the better....

Mac

VP959
28th Jul 2014, 06:28
You'll get chapter and verse on the mil section, but expect to get a "how long is a bit of string" answer to your first question, as it varies a fair bit with altitude density, TOW and wind speed and direction. The answer to the second question is no, it needs a paved runway.

HTB
28th Jul 2014, 11:06
I don't recall any of the Hawks having "F" designation, they are "T" - trainers in RAF use, not fighters (arguably DFGA with the gun and some little bombs) - although with AIM9 attached (and of course the Aden cannon) they could fill a minor A-A defensive/support role.

6000' is ample (in the training fit); on a hot day with no wind and a heavier payload, you might want a bit more.

Mister B

longer ron
28th Jul 2014, 12:02
Hawk 200 is a single seater and some had radar fit ; )

Some overseas operated Hawks have been used in the light strike/interdiction role.

I have seen a heavily loaded (uncleared load) Hawk 2 seater - hot and high take off using most of a long runway :)

Background Noise
28th Jul 2014, 13:29
Oman uses the Hawk 200 in the fighter role.

Hawk T1 ideally needs about 6000' in UK use, but can operate on about 4500' if it is dry. The T2 needs a bit more.