PDA

View Full Version : Mental Health in Aviation

Oldfield89
27th Jul 2014, 18:41
Hi All,

During recent publicity regarding massive under-funding in NHS for mental health services and as a (Fully Recovered) ATPL holder who has suffered mental health issues in recent years, I have decided to try and launch a volunteer-run website and peer support group that offers advice, guidance and assistance for commercial aircrew suffering with mental health issues.

I'm still at very early stages, but I do already have enthusiastic support from a member of UK CAA Aero-medical Division. This is very much a "swept under the carpet" matter that many people fear to own up to because of the perceived stigma and possible loss of career.

I would welcome any (positive) comments, feedback and suggestions that you care to make in order to get this project up and running.

Thanks.

gingernut
28th Jul 2014, 22:52
Fab !

and 10 characters later, Brill.

Oldfield89
30th Jul 2014, 08:44
Thank you to all who have responded/PM'd me.

I will be discussing later with my CAA contact ways to take this idea forward.

"...I think we're going to need a bigger boat...":O

Don_Apron
30th Jul 2014, 10:16
Excellent stuff!! A very worthwhile pursuit indeed.

It is a great shame that so much stigma is attached to mental illness (mainly by the ignorant). The brain is more complex than any computer that I am aware of and yes things do go wrong occasionally, but can be corrected also.

Wise people have informed me we need our "heads read" by the fact we are involved with aviation.

Oldfield89
1st Aug 2014, 09:23
Hi All,

Due to legal consultation, this project has been suspended UFN.

Apologies to all who have passed messages of support.:D

cavortingcheetah
1st Aug 2014, 11:26
In terms of the Mental Health Act 1854, incorporated during the reign of Queen Victoria, wouldn't most pilots fall under the mental classification of egotistical masochists inasmuch as flying an aircraft boosts one's inner self esteem while being kicked around by management satisfies the beaten little boy in the laundry basket syndrome? Heaven forbid that any such aviator ever come across RM Rynfield. He'd pull the wings off them soon enough.

Oldfield89
1st Aug 2014, 20:15
Hi - unfortunately it's currently unavailable. Apologies.

Bob the Doc
7th Aug 2014, 21:50
Sorry to hear the lawyers are making this difficult. Hope you get it sorted. Sounds like a worthwhile project in the long run

Brian Abraham
17th Aug 2014, 02:28
Hearty congratulations on the effort Oldfield89. :ok: Are you able to appraise us of the nature of the legal hurdles being placed before you? All the best in your endeavours.

Oldfield89
18th Aug 2014, 17:19
Hi Brian. Thank you for your comments.:D

I am (unfortunately) unable to disclose any further information, but am hopeful that issues will be resolved successfully.

Thanks for your continued support.

ipaoffice
19th Aug 2014, 10:25
Dear all,

We at the Independent Pilots Association (IPA UK) are keen to support pilots with mental health issues and to help them return to work. With that in mind we are considering starting a mental health support group, perhaps IT based in the first instance. If there is sufficient interest I will initiate a project on this but it will need involvement from those at the sharp end of aviation, not just those that are unwell but those who want to help as well. Interested? then let me know.

Oldfield89
19th Aug 2014, 14:07
An entirely new group of people are now taking this project forward - their work will be forthcoming in the near future hopefully!

:ok: