PDA

View Full Version : Question for American EK pilots

boarderdw
27th Jul 2014, 17:01
Couple of quick questions -

Do US airlines have access to our records at EK? I haven't had any issues, but at EK it seems like it's just a matter of time unfortunately.

Also, how are we supposed to deal with the 3 month notice period when leaving? It seems like any US carrier would laugh at me when, during the interview, I say I would be available in 3 months.

Thanks for any input!

WrldWide
27th Jul 2014, 21:45
I am fairly confident that active duty military applicants are not laughted at when they state that thier seperation date is well in the future. Doesn't seem to hurt thier chances of getting an offer either.

JuniorMan
27th Jul 2014, 23:57
Also, how are we supposed to deal with the 3 month notice period when leaving? It seems like any US carrier would laugh at me when, during the interview, I say I would be available in 3 months.

The legacy I work at wouldn't bat an eye if you told them you needed three months before accepting a class date. They are very flexible and will work with you. Just be careful before making the jump stateside...

gl69
28th Jul 2014, 04:53
Junior Man

As a pilot who has worked at a US legecy and at EK there really is not a comparison between the two. Any of the Big 4 airlines is leaps and bounds better than Emirates in every capacity and catergory.
I don't know what airline you worked at but my former airline has over 4000 pilots retiring in the next 10 years. If you join now you will be a widebody captain in less than 15 years and a narrowbody captain sooner than that.
Just because you got hired at the wrong time does not mean everyone else will have the same career as you did.
Plus why do you think Emirates is such a good airline to work for? When you factor in everything Emirates is no better than a commuter airline back home to work for. My hourly wage at EK is the same as a 737 FO back home.
If you are at Emirates and have the right to work in the US do not delay in trying to get back home. You have to get back as soon as you can.
Dubai is going down hill, Emirates is definitely going down hill, and if you are on the Boeing the 777 is going down hill as well. Why stay at Emirates?
If you are on the 330 I have no idea why you are still here.

Al Murdoch
28th Jul 2014, 07:44
And yet you are still here...

TineeTim
28th Jul 2014, 08:03
Another question for all:

How many active Emirates pilots have been hired by US airlines in the last year? There's been an enormous amount of talk about retirements, hiring etc. but a suspicious lack of detail. I'm also not including guys who were quietly on furlough and just returned to their old jobs. I'm interested in the number of new hires. Anyone personally know one? I have a suspicion the number is very, very low. Single digits, maybe? I do know it's not due lack of trying- almost every American I know has applications in.

Laker
28th Jul 2014, 08:54
gl69,

leaps and bounds better than Emirates in every category? I think that's a bit of a stretch. They both have their positives and negatives. Off the top of my head I can think of several categories where EK exceeds the US carriers.

-Hotel quality
-Variety of destinations
-Cabin Crew
-Time to command
-Onboard product/service

But the pay vs cost of living in Dubai, not to mention the lack of job protections, might make a US legacy a better option.

Buford
28th Jul 2014, 09:50
I'm aware of three EK pilots who have been hired off the street to US legacies. One went to DL, one to UA, one to UsAir. I'm in contact with the DL guy who was under the impression that he was a bit of guinea pig for the Middle East guys. I agree with TineeTim- lots of Yanks with applications at US carriers but not much seems to be happening. I suspect we all might be a little bit threatening to the hiring process or maybe not as special as we'd like to think we are.....

gl69
28th Jul 2014, 10:46
Laker

Again as with junior man I don't know what airline you worked for in the states but let me address your items;

Hotels
They were about the same quality but in far better locations with my old airline. We stayed downtown in Europe, on the Med in Tel Aviv, on the Nile in Cario and great places in the US. With Emirates the hotels might be 4 or 5 stars but we stay at the airports in many European locations or in lousy places of various cities.

Destinations.
Yes Emirates goes to more countries but too many of those destinations are of the 3rd world variety which doesn't really get me excited or feel safe at times.

Cabin crew
Depends on how you define them or what your desires are. If you want a steady stream of unlimited pu&@y yes EK is the place for you. If you want compentancy and people with common sense Emirates is not the place where you want to be. Especially when a lot of the Aussies, NZ, UK and Irish crew have left or haven't joined in numbers near what they the 3rd world people have.

Time to Command
This is about the same now believe it or not. If you join Emirates now you are looking at 10 years to command. As I said earlier with all the retirements at my old airline you are looking at the same time maybe even less and I know the Big 4 have the same time frames. Maybe SW might be the exception but the other 3, join now and you will be a captain in a decade.

On board service
I don't know how this effects pilots or their lifestyles but yes Emirates does have a much better on board service. When we talk about International the US airlines are not that far behind Emirates but again EK does have a better on board service.

My old airline has over 200 Emirates pilots that have applied back home. Not all of them will get hired or even leave but that is a significance number of unhappy pilots. So far only 9 Emirates pilots have joined the largest airline in the world but they just started hiring again in Feb.
Also remember a lot of US pilots at EK can't get hired back home. One pilot beat his wife and has an assault charge, another one I know of isn't paying child support and can never go back to the US and many pilots don't have university degrees which all of the good airlines require.
When you consider unions, ATC, FAA and various other protections a pilot is far better off in the US or even Europe.

JammedStab
29th Jul 2014, 03:36
Also remember a lot of US pilots at EK can't get hired back home. One pilot beat his wife and has an assault charge, another one I know of isn't paying child support and can never go back to the US

So do they stay on the Airbus 330 to avoid flights to America?

ironbutt57
29th Jul 2014, 06:22
another one I know of isn't paying child support and can never go back to the US

hope he has a new passport, because he won't be getting another one, or extra pages, or any other passport services until he pays up...

pilotday
29th Jul 2014, 16:39
Could have two passports?

There are things he could do to assure his money actually goes to his kids instead of his ex-wife's new boyfriend's boat.

Trust funds, escrows, etc… Giving your ex a court ordered blank check every month is never spent on the kiddies.

A lot better option than hiding out in Dubai until your passport expires. Then what is your end game?

DNA tests maybe? Those kiddies could be any bloke's in Silicon.

harry the cod
30th Jul 2014, 23:30
pilotday

Thanks, that last comment made a pilot's day! :D

Harry

JuniorMan
31st Jul 2014, 01:38
I don't know what airline you worked at but my former airline has over 4000 pilots retiring in the next 10 years. If you join now you will be a widebody captain in less than 15 years and a narrowbody captain sooner than that.

I am not sure how this statement can be true. The most junior 777 Captain at my airline is around 17%; basically about number 2,100 out of 12,000 pilots. If half the seniority list retires in 10 years after the day you are hired, you would be about number 6,000. Nowhere near WB Captain. 15 years will not get you much closer. We do operate a mixed 757/767 fleet; but again, only the most senior pilots in that fleet frequently fly the 767. I posted in detail what you would be able to hold in 10 years at the legacy I work for. The choices were junior NB Captain, senior NB FO, mid-range WB FO. That is if everything works out perfectly; no economic downturns, no reduction in size for the airline.

The only reason I am focusing on the WB CA position is because that is where the highest pay and best schedules that are so often quoted on PPRUNE exist. I would mostly base career decisions on total compensation, schedules, financial stability and growth prospects of the airline, and probably time to command because that will affect your total compensation. Emirates hands down beats all US legacy carriers in these four areas. The only reason to come to a US legacy is if you really need or want to be back home. Even that comes with a caveat because chances are slim that you'll be based where you would like to reside. Commuting can completely destroy your schedule and quality of life. Some of our most sought after domiciles are extremely senior. It would take years just to hold a reserve NB FO position.

Proximity
1st Aug 2014, 13:33
I'd argue that a senior NB FO or line holder WB FO at a USA legacy is almost equal to an EK commander, especially if you are comparing it to an EK A330 driver. You'd be senior enough to control your schedule and destinations, all day flying for the NB FO, 18-19 days of for the WB FO. No factoring of time, infact you should end up being paid for more time then you actually block. No doubt you'll have better travel benefits also.

If you block at the bottom line, an EK 777/380 captain may bank more, but a WB FO wouldn't be too far behind considering cost of living, taxes (USA pilots still pay tax working at EK), and QQL.

Lastly, the outlook for the next ten years is very positive in the USA, as in things are trending better. We know what the trend has been at EK since 2008 , and we can take a guess at what the trend will be going forward.

fatbus
1st Aug 2014, 18:01
Then why is there still US pilots here and more coming? We keep hear how good it is in the states yet the numbers leaving are up but not what people are claiming.

Proximity
1st Aug 2014, 22:20
That's because not every American is working for Delta, United, or American.

I'm sure the new five year bond is an acknowledgement that an American who does come to EK would be very competitive at a legacy airline very quickly. Companies with great conditions don't increase the length of their bond.

No Americans are leaving a legacy airline in the USA to come to EK.

LostinT2DXB
2nd Aug 2014, 03:16
Americans are still going to work overseas because there is a major downsizing of the regional jet fleets in the US. Most 37-50 seat jets are being parked and not all of them are being replaced. Scope has been relaxed at almost all the majors to allow CRJ-900 size aircraft to be outsourced, however there are limits on how many frames can be operated. DL is one particular legacy that has language requiring the removal of 50 seaters over a period of time. UA has similar language as well. So, even with almost every major or national airline in the US hiring at the moment there is still not enough jobs for all the RJ pilots who are watching their fleets shrink. That leaves the regional drivers with two choices: watch their company shrink and career stagnate or look for opportunities overseas as not everyone will win the lottery at the majors.

gl69
2nd Aug 2014, 04:02
If you look at the seniority list at EK you will notice that there hasn't been a lot of Americans join in the last year or so and plenty of Americans have left in the last 12 months with hopefully many more leaving. Recruitment and HR even admitted that problem in the recent wash ups.
So Fatbus your comment is way off base. If you did realize the difference between the two systems you would be trying to fly for a US major too.
If Junior Man thinks Emirates is so good he should know that EK is currently hiring. I doubt very much we will see his name on the applicants list or he leaving his cushy position at a US major.
In a previous post I mentioned that some US pilots won't be leaving for various problems they have but I forgot the list that I know of 3 EK pilots that have DUIs and for that reason alone won't be hired by any US major. Makes people think that these pilots can't get hired at a US major but can get hired at Emirates. Umm!
Also no good airline has a Training Bond. If you are a good airline you know no pilot will leave the airline.

Vortac1
2nd Aug 2014, 08:04
Americans are still going to work overseas because there is a major downsizing of the regional jet fleets in the US. Most 37-50 seat jets are being parked and not all of them are being replaced. Scope has been relaxed at almost all the majors to allow CRJ-900 size aircraft to be outsourced, however there are limits on how many frames can be operated. DL is one particular legacy that has language requiring the removal of 50 seaters over a period of time. UA has similar language as well. So, even with almost every major or national airline in the US hiring at the moment there is still not enough jobs for all the RJ pilots who are watching their fleets shrink. That leaves the regional drivers with two choices: watch their company shrink and career stagnate or look for opportunities overseas as not everyone will win the lottery at the majors.

This ^^^

(10char)

Desdihold
2nd Aug 2014, 13:29
I agree with the numbers or rather lack of regarding US pilots.

The number one reason for most us to go home is to be close to family and raise your kids close to grandparents etc.....

I would do the same if I had similar opportunities at home.

America is the other side of the planet to DXB and so the travel time during leave takes up a good chunk of your vacation.

Also, the american pilots here are concerned about the IRS.... their income here may be paid tax free but Uncle Sam feels that it is not tax exempt.

A number of American pilots here are very nervoius..... even Cpt. America has gone home.

(Cpt. America: Finished last week)

whossorrynow
2nd Aug 2014, 14:06
So's we don't forget tartanguy:

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/224733-wall-street-journal-expat-pilots-including-ek.html

Desdihold
2nd Aug 2014, 14:11
This very article is the cause of the IRS being interested in Emirates, it all started here.
Thanks Cpt America (DBA tartanguy)

nolimitholdem
2nd Aug 2014, 22:20
I dunno. This whole FATCA fiasco, with the US trying to bully every country around the world into giving up private information, may have something to do with it too. Not sure THAT can be blamed on Capt. America.

All I know is it sure must suck to be a "US Person" trying to open an account anywhere exotic these days. :{

pilotday
3rd Aug 2014, 17:11
Who is going to pay for all the ghetto welfare families if the US EK pilot don't pay taxes? This quantitative easing can only last so long before the whole system collapses.

After all, it is racist to NOT to give everyone a free mobile phone and a credit card (food stamp) that can buy anything edible, even coca-cola.

If your choice is Santa Clause (obama) or work, who are you going to choose?

eldee5
7th Aug 2014, 22:24
I was hired by a US legacy back in October. I was fortunate enough to interview the second week they started inviting people, after a very long stagnation. A few weeks after that, I received the final offer but had to wait until March for a class date. They were still processing flow through pilots from regional airlines which had contractual agreements. Street guys like me had to wait. It sort of worked itself out because EK required three month notice. I heard of another EK pilot who just recently resigned but could only give one month notice. EK worked with him and he ended up being fine.
I was the first ME pilot hired off the street. They did have a little difficulty getting records form EK. In the end, it sort of solved itself, paving the way for more applicants. I know of at least two who already interviewed, and both were successful. One is joining us in August. They seem to know a lot more than one might think about various international carriers. US legacies are very specific in what they are looking for, and I can assure you that EK pilots are well viewed during the interview process. The fact that, besides me, my entire interview class (8 pilots) were all ex military (US Air Force, NAVY, etc…), is a validation of the quality of pilots EK is fortunate to employ (EK pilots in general. Not trying to come off as being pretentious. Only stating facts).
Training here was more relaxed and transpired American pragmatism. The company culture is completely different. For example:

Operationally speaking, I find them to be significantly more practical. I will attribute this to a cultural difference between the ways things are handled in the States, in general, versus overseas. In light of the sheer number of nationalities working at EK, how can one blame Emirates for being over attentive to small details?
One shocking cultural change for me was the fact that they want you to "fly"
here. By that, I mean that a large portion of the approaches I flew and was evaluated on during OE and simulator training were without Automation (AP and AT). Now this might seem like a minor detail, but is a great illustration of something more significant in their corporate culture: Trust in their pilots. Having been on line for a short while, I never felt like "staying away from the office" was in the captains’ threat error management strategies. As it turns out, it creates a less stressful and more efficient operation. In short, they are truly a captain’s airline. And that is a big cultural difference.
The chief pilots are there to help. Their offices are literally inside the pilot lounges and they encourage us to visit them all the time. New hires are required to check in with them at least four times during their first year, just to make sure they are getting settled with their new jobs. They are not here to police us.
There is a certain camaraderie here that I did not quiet feel at EK. It seems like everyone is sort of looking out for each other, including management.

I will say that EK should truly invest in their pilot workforce. Nothing is free, not even pilots. I read somewhere on this thread something about most US pilots trying to go back. What about Europeans or Australians? The reality is, for some countries, things are not so great in the industry. But historical data dictates that they will eventually turn around. Why would a French pilot leave Montpellier if he can work for AF? It is only a matter of time. For example, EK’s stubbornness in not opening overseas bases or limiting one to 5 days off in a row is idiotically short-sighted. Cathay does international basing, and so does Korean. Why not EK? Ego? They really ought to set it aside. This will become a buyers’ market. It’s all about supply and demand.

Desdihold
8th Aug 2014, 18:45
Eldee, excellent post.

JAARule
8th Aug 2014, 20:37
Not sure if I agree that was a good post or not as atrocious American grammar makes it largely unintelligible, at least at first glace, and one cannot be bothered going back for a second glance. But if you are trying to imply that EK employs only quality pilots then you are full of hot air.

BigGeordie
8th Aug 2014, 21:30
I'm not sure we are reading the same post- the grammar looks pretty good to me, even the apostrophes are in the right place! Saying EK emploiys quality pilots is not the same as saying all the pilots employed by EK are high quality- although in my experience most are.:ok:

fliion
8th Aug 2014, 21:59
Excellent post Eldee.

Ignore JAA, incapable of typing without insulting.

Unintelligible - JAA if you can't get the gist of what he wrote - which was crystal clear, then you have no business commenting on intelligence.

f.

MrCarlosDanger
9th Aug 2014, 01:41
JAA--doooooochbag

JammedStab
9th Aug 2014, 04:16
Not sure if I agree that was a good post or not as atrocious American grammar makes it largely unintelligible, at least at first glace

At first GLACE?

filejw
9th Aug 2014, 05:41
At any rate welcome from and old guy.....

pilotday
9th Aug 2014, 08:17
Where is JAARule from? Its easy to throw insults towards "yanks" when you hide your own homeland.

gl69
9th Aug 2014, 16:16
Great post eldee. As I mentioned before you can not put a price on the treatment at Emirates vs the US Majors. Every pilot I have talked to that has left EK to go back has said the biggest difference is the huge relief of stress that is lifted when working for a major. They are not out to get you in trouble but to help you and to be the best pilot you can be for yourself and the airline. They actually like you and more importantly respect you.
JAR what airline did you work for? What a twit!

eldee5
9th Aug 2014, 16:24
I apologize for my post not being clear to you JAA. What I was saying was:

1. Emirates pilots are well respected amongst legacy carriers in the US.

2. Airlines operate differently in the States than most places.

3. Be as it may, most Emirates pilots are well above average, and by a wide margin. We've all been in this business long enough to agree on that much.

You dig?

kirungi1
9th Aug 2014, 16:44
Your response in post #38 is such a class act; true manifestation of a great leader - mark of humility. Thanks for posting :D

eldee5
9th Aug 2014, 16:57
Thanks Kirungi! You're welcome. I'll be here all week. Haha. :8

eldee5
9th Aug 2014, 17:22
Capi, your mailbox is full. I'm trying to PM you;-)

pilotday
9th Aug 2014, 17:54
JAARule's attitude towards Americans is a good example of how a lot of things may work at EK for any young "Yank" considering choosing Emirates as a career or stepping stone. Specifically training.

I will admit, training has gotten a lot more fair and equal for all nationalities since Norris and others left.

I've personally seen a TRE's "mate" crash an engine out takeoff after V1 three times in a row and receive 4's and 5's. Captain Crash is now in training.

eldee5's post is very informative and free from atrocious grammatical errors.

JAARule would give Eldee5 a score 2 while he should get a 5. See how this works? When asked JAARule to point out which grammatical errors were committed and use the Oxford Grammar and Style Manual. He will fail to do so, but will state Airmanship and Communications.

"overall, good effort, but i'm going to have to knock ya down to a 2 due to poor airmanship and communications"

See the parallel?

For non-EK people, training is graded from 1-5, 5 being the highest.

If you are American and considering Emirates, make sure you have tough skin and know the books well so you can call out bullcrap. Most Yank haters back off when you ask them to show their silly airmanship technique in the manuals and they fail to do so.

Not sure if I agree that was a good post or not as atrocious American grammar makes it largely unintelligible, at least at first glace, and one cannot be bothered going back for a second glance. But if you are trying to imply that EK employs only quality pilots then you are full of hot air. - -JAARule

Capi
9th Aug 2014, 18:07
Got it clean eldee5

Thanks for the reply,

Cap

eldee5
9th Aug 2014, 19:02
Pilotday, you're quoting one of my reports from initial training. Haha. The TRI slapped a 2 in communication at me due to non-ICAO standard phraseology. He said, and I quote, "you're not in America anymore".
But yeah, your post is dead on. In light of spring loading one's career, working at Emirates for an American is a great strategy. But not for the faint of heart. For some odd reason, some people can be tough on yanks, and that's okay. Just suck it up and roll with the punches.

cerbus
10th Aug 2014, 10:34
Most Yank haters are insanely jealous of the type of contracts the US posses and the hourly wage to go along with the contract. You will be hard pressed to find any of these haters able to admit their jealousy.
On a recent URL to the states I had to listen to;
fully established on the ILS
fully ready for push and start
re-reading the PDC to clearance delivery
Notifying tower that "The Emirates" was ready for takeoff
Emirates two one six all through the states.
Cleared direct Charlie Zulu India instead of Crazy Women.
As you can imagine we are a big hit in the US when we do this kind of crap.
So I ask these posters should we knock you haters down to a 2 since your communications is sub standard especially for the US? After all when in Rome...
It is real simple, if you don't like the way the US does things THAN DONT BID TO FLY TO THE USA! You went down to the US Consulate on two of your precious off days for the privilege to fly to the states, then bid to fly to the states and you obviously want to go because you didn't call in sick for those trips. Deal with it!

highlight
10th Aug 2014, 11:03
Most Yank haters are insanely jealous of the type of contracts the US posses and the hourly wage to go along with the contract. You will be hard pressed to find any of these haters able to admit their jealousy.
On a recent URL to the states I had to listen to;
fully established on the ILS
fully ready for push and start
re-reading the PDC to clearance delivery
Notifying tower that "The Emirates" was ready for takeoff
Emirates two one six all through the states.
Cleared direct Charlie Zulu India instead of Crazy Women.
As you can imagine we are a big hit in the US when we do this kind of crap.
So I ask these posters should we knock you haters down to a 2 since your communications is sub standard especially for the US? After all when in Rome...
It is real simple, if you don't like the way the US does things THAN DONT BID TO FLY TO THE USA! You went down to the US Consulate on two of your precious off days for the privilege to fly to the states, then bid to fly to the states and you obviously want to go because you didn't call in sick for those trips. Deal with it!

Amen, brah. What's more amusing is having recently looked at the LIDO charts for O'Hare and seeing the following under CREW THREAT section:
ATC
"Controllers often speak rapidly and use non-standard phraseology."

Non-standard phraseology? Really??? :rolleyes:

Laker
10th Aug 2014, 11:16
Cerbus,

Why not be a team player and mention a few of the common mistakes to your fellow crew? I think there's a way of doing it without coming across as a jerk. We are all batting for the same team. Lets help each other out.

TransitCheck
10th Aug 2014, 11:25
Laker.....God's gifts to aviation won't take criticism or advice well let alone have a native "yank" tell them the proper way of operating in the largest aviation arena in the world. It will just cause CRM issues later.

cerbus
10th Aug 2014, 12:14
Point noted Laker but when I told the other pilot not to contact clearance delivery and ask to have the PDC repeated he did it anyway. When he finished I asked in a rhetorical way did you notice the frustration in the controllers voice? His response was well we do it that way in Aus. Then in a even keel way I asked "have you noticed any other airlines asking for their clearance to be repeated." It went right over their heads. Again when in Rome but they don't want to learn.
Once we were in Dubai I did mention that perhaps they shouldn't bid for US trips if it is too much of a problem for them to adapt but they said something like it is their right to fly there. Just what Emirates needs.

Emma Royds
10th Aug 2014, 16:57
I would far rather sit beside an American than many other nationalities. They are normally willing to engage in talking rubbish on the flight deck and are quite sociable when down route. More importantly, the ones I have encountered are generally sound practical operators who manage to do a pretty good job in balancing the big picture, versus the ever growing EK minutiae.

If the excrement hit the fan whilst en route with a serious problem, overflying US airspace (also Canada) would probably rank in my top five locations of where I would want to be if I had a big issue.

Sorry for the thread creep but I sometimes feel our American colleagues get a unfair bashing. As with anything in life, it only takes a rogue few to tarnish the image for many.

JAARule
11th Aug 2014, 15:54
PD, a quick look at your posts shows that among the groups and nationalities you've slagged off and denigrated are Brits, canucks, locals, ozzies, koreans, lebos, and gay people. Your mother must be so proud! But someone makes a slight reference to yanks and you guys go off your tit. That is what I believe is called you can dish it out but you can't take it. Sorry PD but this make you a bigot and what's more a hypocrite. You and a very small number of similar-minded that vent your prejudices about others here but become mortally offended when some home truths about your own culture are pointed out. It's always the same lot of you.

To paraphrase one of your own posts, "Getting yanks in a tizzy is so easy and fun." Such a puerile individual in an EK cockpit is a scary thought.

Some serious issues in your head about the trainers too. One suspects you were chipped for failing to deliver (on numerous occasions??) and you took it personally.

Okay, I've made my point, PD, although a fair chance you won't understand it as I suspect from the shallow nature of your posts that you may not be the brightest bulb.
But you won't see me winding you up again (about yanks) but now you can watch your own mouth and the rubbish coming from your keyboard (which I very much doubt you have the stones to ever say to people's faces).

Now take your own advice and "chill out , i'm just having fun..we're all on the same team " (http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/522441-ek-increasing-usa-destinations-2.html#post8024823)

Eldee nothing personal against you, just having a little shot at some of the angry yanks out there, who took the bait HL&S. I do 'dig' your post although I disagree with your point on standards. See if you feel the same way after a year or two.

airbusgirl66
11th Aug 2014, 16:09
Eldee, thanks for the post…I've also got a few friends who work at the "Big D", and they are quite content. Congrats!:ok:

fliion
11th Aug 2014, 22:44
I've said it before and I'll say it again...JAARULE incapable of making a post without insulting someone.

He went from telling Eldee about "unintelligible ...drivel" to a subtle capitulation without the balls to apologize.

Do us all a favor JAA .

take your bow and exit.

f.

atpcliff
19th Aug 2014, 04:05
If U know of any US guys without a degree, Atlas Air is hiring....no degree required.

Sorry to hear that EK is going downhill. They seem quite short-sighted, what with the pilot shortage worsening. It is really starting to affect the airlines in the US, and will soon be affecting both the US and global aviation even more. There will be a LOT LESS US pilots without jobs that are available for overseas work in the future.

I applied at EK several times in the past, and there were several times that I wanted to apply but didn't meet the minimums. Since then I have traveled to the ME quite a bit...I found out I prefer AUH to DXB. I am thinking about moving overseas, but probably to Asia....and not to the ME.

cliff
HSV
I was supposed to be in Oslo, yesterday, but instead was in Alabama....USAirways flight was so delayed I missed my positioning flight for the Oslo trip.

Flying Spag Monster
19th Aug 2014, 17:05
Cerbus it's a bit tuff to generalise about one pilots behaviour as being a result of their nationality. The chap you flew with was just plane wrong in some areas and would have been wrong down under too. Oz uses the group number system as well so it would be "two sixteen" there. A PDC clearance is not requested again from ATC in Oz but read back. So he got that wrong also. I flew with a great US guy recently who used "fully ready" for take off and we laughed about what "half ready" might mean....Big deal. It's the individual who makes the errors, nothing to do with their home.

cerbus
19th Aug 2014, 20:12
I agree it is the individual who makes the errors and there are a lot of individuals making those errors. The company does little to correct them while we continue to embarrass ourselves.
The word from NY TRACON is they treat Emirates the same as they treat Korean, China Southern and Air China. Not a very good measure to be judge by for sure.

CaptainChipotle
19th Aug 2014, 20:23
Totally with ya Cerbus, but if we are able to actually use our airmanship and fly visual approaches, ATC might treat us differently...

...who am I kiding? Never going to happen.

CC

v1r8
20th Aug 2014, 04:37
Nothing I like more than disconnecting everything at 15.000 and hand flying an approach.. (Unless I'm tired -- pick your battles ). Amazing to me how any company could discourage its pilots from being pilots and maintaining their flying skills. :rolleyes: at least in the us of a my company does allow me to disconnect everything (yes gents, ap at and fd) and actually fly the plane.. Better they encourage it ! Also, next month stinks for me. Only 15 days off with 91 hours pay seen better. But at least I can drop, trade and pick up to where I get 7/10 days off in a row to go play with the family in Europe without it costing me pay or all my vacation days. QOL is the only thing that matters in life.

cerbus
20th Aug 2014, 09:13
No Emirates will never treat its pilots with respect and that partly explains why they are having such trouble recruiting pilots and having to lower the requirements and standards to fill classes.
Hopefully that will change but I'm not optimistic.

SOPS
20th Aug 2014, 09:48
And it explains why ads for First Officers for EK are popping up everywhere. Something tells me the applications are not pouring in.

falconeasydriver
20th Aug 2014, 13:15
The word from NY TRACON is they treat Emirates the same as they treat Korean, China Southern and Air China. Not a very good measure to be judge by for sure.

Lets be honest, an increasingly large proportion of our colleagues display levels of airmanship commensurate with the stereotypes mentioned. I was in the US last month and as part of the augmenting inbound crew I sat there and was embarrassed as a the PM managed to make a complete horlicks of their taxi clearance by missing hold short and crossing calls, all whilst befuddling the controller with unintelligible and nonsense read-backs.
Having said that, the PM was the operating Captain, what chance has the F/O if the commander can't even do the basics properly?
I don't blame the NY TRACON one bit.

odericko2000
21st Aug 2014, 07:38
Really? EK pilots are as bad as the Chinese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWXyFe8_oE0

White Knight
21st Aug 2014, 08:26
We want to save fuel, but can't do a visual approach

Yes you can....:ugh:

Captain Dart
21st Aug 2014, 09:08
I wouldn't quote Australian ATC, particularly Sydney, as an example of normal global standard.

I have to treat Australian ATC specially, they are the most anal on the planet (I am Australian and am based there), and not particularly efficient.

donpizmeov
21st Aug 2014, 09:13
So JFK and SYD....two out of how many destinations? Seems like a pretty good average to me. Keep up the good work fellas, the free beer is in the mail.

The Don

BYMONEK
21st Aug 2014, 10:17

"We want an open reporting culture, but we are hauled in if we file an ASR. These are the things that contribute to an unhealthy culture...."

No it isn't. It's spouting crap like THAT, that creates an unhealthy culture. I've been here over 11 years, have filed numerous ASR's in that time and not once have I been 'hauled' in. When crew are asked to attend a safety briefing, it's normally because they've either screwed up big time or an Arse Covering Report is hiding other more sinister events and FS start digging. Very, very few FS debriefs result in warnings. Some do. Is that a problem?

Putting comments like that not only demonstrates ignorance but perpetuates the negative and reticent reporting culture that's perceived amongst some here.

fatbus
21st Aug 2014, 10:52
Agree with Bymonek on this. Some need to get a pair.

CaptainChipotle
21st Aug 2014, 12:47
I agree with bymonek as well.

Have filled out reports when necessary, only called in once to get 'clarification' and no warning or anything because nothing was needed.

BobDole
21st Aug 2014, 15:36
Maybe y'all can take a few lessons on taxiing from us! :}

Racing Beats - english on Vimeo

highlight
21st Aug 2014, 18:22
Maybe y'all can take a few lessons on taxiing from us!

This is some funny sh!t. Great video.