PDA

View Full Version : Pooleys Air Pilot's Manual New Edition Books

speedbird_97
27th Jul 2014, 14:15
Dear Instructors/Students/Experienced Airmen,

I am currently training for my PPL at London Biggin Hill Airport (EGKB). I'm on circuits at the moment and nearing my first solo! Before soloing, I must have passed my Aviation Law exam and obtain a Class 2 CAA Medical Certificate. The reason why I am writing this post today is because of a minor problem I have encountered.

The book I am revising from for my Aviation Law exam is the Pooleys Air Pilot's Manual: Aviation Law and Meteorology (Eleventh revised edition 2013). I was checking my email the other day when I received an email from Pooleys stating that they have published a new edition of the Air Pilot's Manual (Twelfth revised edition 2014). Having spent a lot of money buying books to aid me in revision, I am in despair!

I therefore phoned the Pooleys Company based at Shoreham Airport and asked them whether I have to buy the new edition books. The chap on the other end of the line seemed quite confused and reserved, so told me to ask my instructor. I then sent a text message to my instructor and asked him whether I should carry on revising from the previous edition book I have at the moment or if I should buy the new edition book. My instructor said that the changes in the new edition would probably be minimal, but to be safe, told me to make a post on this website.

The question I would like to ask is: Do I revise from the book I have at the moment or do I buy the new book?

To make your lives easier, this is what it states on the book I have at the moment (Eleventh Revised edition 2013):

Pooleys Air Pilot's Manual: Aviation Law and Meteorology 'CAA Recommended, JAR-FCL Syllabus Compliant, EASA Part-FCL Syllabus Compliant, National PPL Syllabus Compliant, Includes Question & Answer Section'

And this is what it states on the new edition book (Twelfth Revised edition 2014):

CAA Recommended, EASA Part-FCL Syllabus Compliant, LAPL Syllabus Compliant, National PPL Syllabus Compliant, Includes Question and Answer section.

I would be much obliged if you could answer my question.

I wouldn't mind buying the new edition as it's only £23.00. It's just the fact that I could fund that money towards my flying lesson or instructor fees!

PA28181
27th Jul 2014, 22:19
Cant answer the buy/not buy question. Do not spend anymore cash on flying until you have got the medical.. I find it very strange and unfair your training outfit did not tell you get the med first before any flying is done. This is as important IMHO to the advice Never Pay Up Front.

piperarcher
28th Jul 2014, 11:23
I would have thought that the exams you sit must at least be based on the content from the previous years book. Do exams get updated exactly the same time as the books do?

FirstOfficer
31st Jul 2014, 16:21
With regards to PPL there has been a few chances to exams, and to some extend the content, and from what I read there is more to come... I am in the same situation all my books apart from 1, the new Operational Procedures exam, are out of date.

I would assume the one and most important that would need replacement is Air Law.