PDA

View Full Version : USA Flight schools

Byrne11
26th Jul 2014, 23:19
I'm hoping to become an Airline pilot I've been accepted onto CTC and Oxford however I've always wanted to study in the US, however i do not which schools are the best? Ive heard of Embry Riddle, but I'm not quite sure what Embry Riddle offers me other then a degree.
Thanks

Migbuster
27th Jul 2014, 21:23
In the US there are many good schools...some of them are quite renowned like Embry Riddle, Flight Safety etc...but those are usually more expensive compare to others that still very good but just less famous...

Byrne11
27th Jul 2014, 22:59
Do european airlines recognise embry riddle and flight safety academy the same as flight schools based in the UK and europe?

morley846
28th Jul 2014, 07:26
Hi Byrne,

I trained in Daytona and know a few people who have gone to Embry Riddle. If you want to work in Europe then i'd recommend you stick with CTC or Oxford. That is unless you are pretty well off and can afford to gain an FAA CPL then convert it to EASA.

Gaining an FAA license does you no favours if you are going back to Ireland, obviously if you want to stay in the US then that changes everything if you have residency or a green card.

Embry Riddle will get you a degree along with the required licenses, good fleet and instructors from what i've heard but it will cost you $250k for the 4 years (think that is for US students and foreigners have to pay more!) Not sure if they teach EASA at Riddle.

I know Oxford and CTC have training centers in Arizona so you would still be training in the US if you go with them.

Best of luck

Byrne11
28th Jul 2014, 13:12
Thanks a lot, what other flight schools would you recommend in the US other then Embry Riddle? Thanks

Byrne11
28th Jul 2014, 13:28
Also could are the reviews for Flight Safety Academy I've looked online and can't find much however they are highly ranked by looking at other threads.

morley846
29th Jul 2014, 00:15
I don't know anything about Flight Safety Academy but Vero Beach is pretty close to Miami so that's a plus!

I went to ATP Flight School in Daytona Beach and loved it. People complain that it's a pilot factory but i think if you are serious in doing this as a career and as quickly as possible then they give you what you want. The people that didn't like it wanted to be spoon-fed as well as party all the time rather than study. If you are disciplined then it's great. (That doesn't mean that I didn't party:O)

Their International Program is here:
ATP Flight School: International Airline Career Pilot Program<</title> (http://www.atpflightschool.com/international/index.html)

Again though, gaining an FAA license and going back to Europe to convert it is a lot of money and work.

I finished in 7 months and made some very good friends both Internationals and from the US. Daytona is great for training in busy airspace (Class C) and the weather is good. Spring Break was ok and then you also have NASCAR and Bike week which are fun.

The town like any small place can get a bit boring with only a few nightclubs but at the end of the day you want to be in and out as quickly as possible.

The training itself is pretty well paced, instructors are helpful, knowledgeable and they will give up their time to help you as long as you are working hard. Fleet is very good and the best thing that no other school I know offers is the 60 hours cross-country time. I flew from Daytona to Chicago stopping in all the states in between twice.

Another school which offers a slower course (where most people who didn't like the pace of ATP went to) is Phoenix East Aviation. Not knocking them they seem to have a good course but their students are there for a lot longer.

That's all the info I have:ok:

Byrne11
29th Jul 2014, 11:21
ATP was one of the schools I've been researching and looking into Thanks! After you left ATP did you get on an airline?

morley846
29th Jul 2014, 18:32
I'm fortunate to have the right to work in Chile so have moved here and have started to gain the Chilean CPL in order to work for airlines here. Only been out of ATP for 2 months but I will have a job by beginning of next year I hope once I have the license and the airlines here start hiring again.:O

dera
29th Jul 2014, 20:26
No need for nightclubs in Daytona, they have Lollipops :P

morley846
30th Jul 2014, 03:07
Lollipops, what an institution and for those on a tight budget Molly Browns!