PDA

View Full Version : Joint Low Level Deconfliction Tool

Alex Lovell
25th Jul 2014, 13:27
Hi all,

Would anybody be kind enough to pm me the website link to the JLLDT please.

Best,
Alex

Wensleydale
25th Jul 2014, 13:54
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Eye_iris.jpg/220px-Eye_iris.jpg

:ok:

Two's in
25th Jul 2014, 14:18
Is CADS part of JLLDT or is it something different?

GipsyMagpie
25th Jul 2014, 19:34
One is the replacement for the other.

Alex Lovell
26th Jul 2014, 21:31
I am interested in whichever I can view as a member of the public - sorry if I was vague but my knowledge is not great!

GipsyMagpie
27th Jul 2014, 12:47
Well that's an easy answer. The general public cannot see it (yet?). There may be a redacted version one day but not now.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
27th Jul 2014, 14:52
The most effective deconfliction tool of all is the budget; we don't have anything like the quantity of low level traffic that we used to and as a result I don't see nearly as many low level aircraft when I'm out and about in the LFAs.

Makes you wonder why we "need" all these tools now when more aircraft weren't bumping into each other left, right and centre in the past?!

Herc-u-lease
27th Jul 2014, 17:53
Makes you wonder why we "need" all these tools now when more aircraft weren't bumping into each other left, right and centre in the past?!

Because it's an ar5e covering exercise to 'mitigate' a serious risk to life. Whether it's effective is debatable, but it it can at least be shown to be doing something to try and mitigate the risk of mid-air collision.

Two's in
28th Jul 2014, 17:02
It would also be interesting to see how many collisions/airproxs were between military and civil types (about 50:50?). If the system is handling exclusively military traffic, that must by default exclude a large population of potential threats. Not everyone has a notifiable flight plan (especially GA), but some high risk sorties do (pipeline and photo sorties). Still, I'm sure this has all been carefully thought through.

Alex Lovell
29th Jul 2014, 11:52
Thanks for the responses

Courtney Mil
29th Jul 2014, 12:18
The pipeline inspections and the like are easily covered by NOTAMs.

Schnowzer
29th Jul 2014, 14:12
We always used to have this system, it was called T.O.O. Oh sorry, it says "de"confliction.........

Evalu8ter
29th Jul 2014, 15:14
Wensly,
If we were all perfect at looking out 360 and through our airframes we wouldn't need any tools or devices. Experience shows that the human lookout is far from perfect and the "big sky" is not "big enough". The situation, to a degree, is made worse by TCAS/ACAS as there is a tendency to look out less - lethal in Class G airspace below 3000ft and within 10-15miles of an airfield or Nav facility (look at the Light Aircraft Association website for a link to some research they carried out). Likewise, a study issued by GAPAN (as was) analysed 3.4m flt hrs in the UK between 98-08 and found of 38 MACs, CAT (Commercial Air Traffic) had zero, the military a handful but a whopping 85% included at least one, if not two, GA/Gliders/Microlights - the very group least likely to have a Xpdr to trigger a RA alert. The same issue is bugging the RPAS/UAV community at the moment as they seek to develop Sense to Avoid technologies to permit ops in desegregated airspace - Cap 722 mandates "equivalent" look out to a manned platfrom; this could be quite a low bar given that we seem to be able to collide with each other 3-4 times per year, onaverage, in the UKFIR....

Wander00
29th Jul 2014, 16:20
Hope the French have something similar - we seem to get Alpha Jets and Rafales over here low level from every direction - I gather the French do not have LL routes as in UK- apparently it is a free-for-all.

Dengue_Dude
29th Jul 2014, 18:09
Wasn't aware we had enough aircraft to REQUIRE deconfliction . . . :E

ShotOne
31st Jul 2014, 11:30
Just out of interest, I watched a pair of Tucanos being overtaken by a pair of Tornados over Windermere last week. Is this routine or the sort of potential conflict fielded by the Deconfliction tool?

Courtney Mil
31st Jul 2014, 12:27
Wander00,

We get great LL displays here in the Lot too. Quite busy some days. I guess they look out of the window like we were taught to do.

A and C
31st Jul 2014, 13:03
Do the RAF Chinooks have TCAS ? I had a TCAS TA from one yesterday during what could have been described as an unusual situation ( but not hazardous ) and I was wondering if the guys had any other aids to deconfliction other than the Mk 1 eyeball, due to the shape on the aircraft I lost sight of the Chinook but my FO aided by the TCAS very quickly acquired visual contact.

Evalu8ter
31st Jul 2014, 15:29
A&C,
Chinooks do not have TCAS yet but they are Xpdr equipped so they will generate an alert for other TCAS users.

What was it we were taught Courtney? "Look out and fly accurately"...in that order for a reason! Mind you, the UKLFS is so quiet these days it's almost a rarity to find someone else using it.....