PDA

View Full Version : leaving Belgium private flight to uk

md 600 driver
25th Jul 2014, 07:02
Hi all can't find info can anyone help please

Is there a requirement To go to a customs airport when leaving Belgium for a private flight to UK ? Or can you just send GAR and depart from private strip in Belgium ?

Jan Olieslagers
25th Jul 2014, 07:25
You must depart from a "customs" field. Consider Kortrijk EBKT.
And thank your government for not joining Schengen.

piperboy84
25th Jul 2014, 09:14
Not sure about Belgium, but I have just returned from touring France and Ireland from the UK and the only person on the entire journey that was remotely interested in seeing my passport was an rather officious receptionist at the Ibis Hotel in Paris. Never showed any docs or checked in with customs anywhere.The only cross border flight plan I filed was my initial leg from Scotland to Cherbourg which used up the last of my Skydemon credits, so I didn't file on the way back.

In the 20 odd hours of flight time the only interaction I had with officialdom regarding the rules and flight movements was at Oban where upon landing from Ireland I was advised ( in a very friendly way) that wearing a red life preserver is no substitute for a yellow high vis vest when on the ramp.

Prior to my trip I asked on this forum about the ins and outs of european flying, one reply stated it was really easy and no big deal, he was absolutely right.

hoodie
25th Jul 2014, 09:54
Prior to my trip I asked on this forum about the ins and outs of european flying, one reply stated it was really easy and no big deal, he was absolutely right.

Can't be said often enough! Too many PPLs miss out on the joys of continental touring because they see it as too difficult, whereas the opposite is usually true.

However, and without wishing to come across as patronising, it might not be so easy for you in the future if a habit is made of this:

The only cross border flight plan I filed was my initial leg from Scotland to Cherbourg which used up the last of my Skydemon credits, so I didn't file on the way back.

Filing a flight plan when crossing an International FIR boundary is a legal requirement, so not doing it could bring down difficulties upon you. Same with GAR, of course - required on the return only, from EU.

dublinpilot
25th Jul 2014, 10:43
Same with GAR, of course - required on the return only, from EU.

Also required for all flights betweeen the UK and Ireland, and all flights between Great Brittan and Northern Ireland, and all flights between the Republic and Northern Ireland.

Also an Irish GAR is requried for almost all flights into or out of the Republic of Ireland (as are flight plans).

I wouldn't be encouraging people to make flights without submitting the required documents.

gasax
25th Jul 2014, 10:48
Yes, touring the near continent is pretty easy. but there are some things which you need to be careful with. There is a reasonable chance of being ramp checked - so you do need the documentation - the checkers know what they are looking for and at and have pretty swinging powers.

Similarly coming back the Border Agency and Customs can make your life a misery. I came back from France last year with a flight plan but without a GAR due to an IT mix up. We were met by BA and Customs and given a suitable inspection and dressing down.

In deepest darkest Angus that would be interesting - wonder if they could even find your strip?

hoodie
25th Jul 2014, 10:55
Thanks, dublinpilot - I was only intending to discuss piperboy84's example but you're right - it could be read out of context.

To complete the set, flights from non-EU and flights to/from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man also require UK GARs.

patowalker
25th Jul 2014, 19:35
French regulations are quite clear:
1.2.1 REGULATION CONCERNING CIVIL AIRCRAFT WHICH CARRY OUT INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS
GENERAL
Any overflight of the French territory with or without stop, should be performed in compliance with the Civil Aviation regulations applicable to this territory.
All aircraft arriving from abroad and entering the French territory should perform the first landing on an airport provided with Customs, Police and Sanitary controls. Also, all aircraft leaving the French territory abroad should have their last stop in the French territory on such type of airport.

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/uk/..%5CPDF_AIPparSSection%5CAIP%20FRANCE%5CGEN%5C1%5C1409_GEN-1.2.pdf

You can fly in or out of France from/to the UK only through a Customs airfield. Ignore this rule and you risk getting an unfriendly call from the DGAC or CAA.

hoodie
25th Jul 2014, 20:13
That's all very well, but the question was about Belgium, not France.

:E

Jan Olieslagers
25th Jul 2014, 21:14
There is no difference between Belgium and France in this respect. A letter from our CAA can be seen in most briefing rooms, reminding people that departures for non-Schengen countries can legally only be made from "customs" fields.
Copy available on request.

Of course it is up to each individual to decide how far to bend the rules - they do take a bit of flex - but such was not the opening question, as I read it.

Keef
25th Jul 2014, 21:30
I've found the French/Belgian/German Customs and Border Police very friendly and laid back - to the extent they often don't bother to turn up. But I would never risk not notifying them. I've been ramp checked a few times, but as soon as I pulled out the "Docs Folder" they lost interest.

patowalker
25th Jul 2014, 21:50
That's all very well, but the question was about Belgium, not France.

The rules are the same for all Schengen countries. France, Spain and others include it in the AIP. Belgium does not, but the same applies.

EK380
25th Jul 2014, 22:18
And what about the reverse guys?

Want to go to Old Buckenham (no customs) from an airfield with customs in Belgium and then fly back the same day.

My airport in Belgium has customs. Am I good to go direct as long as I fill in the GAR? And also, can I return from Old Buckenham direct to my Belgian airport with customs?

Thanks

hoodie
26th Jul 2014, 00:46
Arriving from EU (except from Eire and NI - see above) to UK/GB is legal if you submit a Flight Plan, and also a GAR (4 hours notice) to any airfield (including a farm strip).

Outbound Old Buck to Belgium is OK so long as you meet Belgian requirements (which are probably first Schengen landing at Customs field).

There's no need, travelling UK to EU (except Eire and NI), to advise anybody at the UK end of the journey.

Jan Olieslagers
26th Jul 2014, 03:28
Belgium does not

Belgium publishes it in AIC Nr 03/2013:

The Schengen Area, within which no restrictions to air travel apply, currently consists of 26 countries:

( list )

Flights arriving from any other country shall only use the official border crossing points when landing in Belgium. Likewise, flights departing to any country outside the Schengen Area shall take off only from the official border crossing points.
The official border crossing points are EBAW, EBBR, EBCI, EBKT, EBLG and EBOS.

patowalker
26th Jul 2014, 07:19
Thanks Jan,

I only looked in AIP GEN 1.2, which is where most countries include that info.

Jan Olieslagers
26th Jul 2014, 07:39
Yes. Quite a shame that the AIP is not used in the same way by all authorities, which was after all the name of the ICAO game... it would almost make one wish for all such matters to be controlled at European level.

Piper19
2nd Aug 2014, 09:45
You need to depart at a customs airfield before entering the UK even with GAR. If you depart from a private strip in BE, you need to stop somewhere for customs, I always land at Calais because it is cheaper than EBKT.
On the reverse trip, I also land at a customs airfield (Calais, EBKT, EBAW...) before continuing to a private field in BE.

Jan Olieslagers
2nd Aug 2014, 11:55
...a private field in Belgium? There's not so many of these. I know of the private runway at Sovet castle, and a chap with initials SM seems to have one more or less west-north-west of Antwerp.

Care to elaborate?

Piper19
3rd Aug 2014, 21:08
Sorry, I meant fields without customs of course, not private fields.