PDA

View Full Version : RAF to Class 1 meducal

denisbergkamp1
21st Nov 2001, 22:40
Is it possible to convert an RAF aircrew medical to a civilian Class 1 medical? Any information and advice please.

denisbergkamp1
21st Nov 2001, 22:44
I should have checked my spelling in the question!

ColinF
21st Nov 2001, 23:47
You must be kidding. Any way the CAA/JAA can get your money-they will. You're going to have to fork out your £400+ sterling and hope they don't find something to charge you more for!!!! Good Luck!!

ps: I've just passed mine and ended up costing me £750 because of extra test results they wanted!

Funkie
22nd Nov 2001, 00:07
Waypoint9,

I would suggest that you contact the CAA at Avaition House, Gatwick (01293 567171).

Explain the situation to the kind lady who will answer your call, and I'm sure you'll get all the answers your looking for.

When I was at the CAA having my body played with, :D there was a chap there who had just left the RAF and was exempt from some of the tests, in fact now that I remember one of the docs was ex-RAF, can't remeber his name though.

As for the cost, yes it is £400.00 for the Class1, but you can minmise the risk of losing that money, ie go the opticians and get your eyes tested, go to your GP and have a blood test, these sort of things. As long as you don't have any major medical condition, epilepsy for example there should not a problem.

As for Kraken, away-and-bile-yer-heed....

Regards

Fra ;) ;)

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: Fra ]

AllyPally
22nd Nov 2001, 17:15
WP9. If you have a RAF Class one medical then you should know how to get a CAA class one. Go see your medical officer he will let you know where the nearest RAF Doc with a CAA accreditation resides.
AP ;)

scroggs
23rd Nov 2001, 02:00
There are quite a few CAA-qualified aviation medics within the RAF who can give a CAA initial-issue Class 1 medical (there is no equivalent in the RAF), but whether that also allows the issue of a JAA Class 1 I'm not so sure. A good chap to talk to at the CAA is Paul Collins-Howgill, an ex-SMO at RAF Lyneham and an excellent bloke who won't bullsh*t you.

El Desperado
23rd Nov 2001, 04:54
As you probably suspect by now, you're going to have to fork out.

I had to redo the Lantern test for colour vision despite having sat it twice for airforce medicals.

Shrugs.

denisbergkamp1
23rd Nov 2001, 15:05
Thank you for all of your informative replies, much appreciated.

Waypoint9

HalesAndPace
23rd Nov 2001, 19:27
Amongst other things, check about the requirement for a chest x-ray, & get it done through RAF if possible.