PDA

View Full Version : Getting my PPL & Starting a career in Aviation.

dcurrey1
22nd Jul 2014, 15:05
Hello,

I don't know if I am posting this in the right section but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway, just need some help/advice!

I am 21, starting a Computer Science course at University of Liverpool, England in September after taking some time out of Education and traveling etc. I have always had a very real interest in everything Aviation and really want to have a go! I have done a couple of test flights to see if it was for actually for me, its one thing saying you want to be a pilot and then actually sitting in the cockpit is another. I did enjoy it and it is something I would be really happy to do!

My main goal/career aspiration is to become an airline pilot, however farfetched it is, nothing is impossible and I'd at least like to have a go at doing what I actually want to do in life instead of compromising and doing something... just to do it.

I am going to be smart about my student loans and grants etc and try and save as much as I can so I can funnel back into Pilot training. My Mum and Dad currently live in Florida so on my visits during the summer break over the 3 years of my course I could do my pilot training in sections! I'm planning on visiting Florida around 3 times a year. I've worked out, roughly, that I would be able to pay for my PPL, IR's and Multi-Engine Ratings based on some flight schools I have contacted(I already have my medical certificate). I have heard some VERY mixed reviews about flights schools in Florida but it is ALOT cheaper to learn to fly there than it is in England.

My parents have also agreed that they would pay for my Commercial and ATP licenses if I could achieve a 1st Class Degree in Uni, something I am going to go for anyway.

I am just unclear about how to make this a career, as I know it is a very competitive industry and the requirements for such jobs can be daunting. I also understand that pilots don't usually start off earning lots of money but if I could just get my foot in the door and work at it, it wouldn't bother me because I would be doing something I am genuinely interested in!

Some questions I have are:

- Whats a good way to build up flying hours once you have the licenses in place?

- Can you apply direct to airlines with few flying hours? (I have been researching and it seems Ryanair will take you on as cadet if you have the licenses already in place, at some cost but its something I have found)

- Would I able to apply for jobs in the USA with sufficient training? (I have a visa but it doesn't allow me to work, however, I know a few people indirectly who have got jobs with a few USA airlines and they have sponsored them to work and lead them on the path to a green card!)

- Would it be worth trying to join the RAF as a pilot? Would they be more likely to take me on as I would have a degree and at least a PPL?

- I have also found CTC Wings who finance your training with an airline and lead you on the path to a career? Again, their website makes it out to be amazing but I need some realistic comments instead of their advertising haha.

Sorry if some of those questions seem a little stupid, most people I try to ask who are a pilot or work in aviation seem like it was all so easy to get where they are and don't give me any realistic/useful information to help me progress.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

asdavis2
27th Jul 2014, 17:31
I'm in a bit of the same boat as you. I'm currently working on getting my private, but I'm learning through a family friend who is a CFII, A&P, IA so maybe this can help you maybe not.

- Whats a good way to build up flying hours once you have the licenses in place?

My instructor ended up convincing me to purchase a Cessna 150. We did a lot of searching and found one for a really good price with a low time engine, not too much to fix, that was IFR certified as well. We figure by purchasing the plane, I am really only paying for his CFII fees ($25/hr), gas (~$5.30/gal; 5gal/hr) and maintenance (~$8/hr). When I finish getting the hours I need, I can either sell it for a profit(NO), or keep it to give lesson in once I get my CFI cert and upgrade later down the line (YES).

Its basically a race to get to 250 hrs so I can get my commercial and CFI and start making money. We're looking into buying a twin soon too, as long as we can find a good deal on one, to do the same thing.

This is all under the idea that its not when you get your license, but how fast you can get the hours.

Can you apply direct to airlines with few flying hours? (I have been researching and it seems Ryanair will take you on as cadet if you have the licenses already in place, at some cost but its something I have found)

Airline Pilot Central has a lot of airlines and their minimum requirements to be hired on the website. Just search for them on Google.

- Would I able to apply for jobs in the USA with sufficient training? (I have a visa but it doesn't allow me to work, however, I know a few people indirectly who have got jobs with a few USA airlines and they have sponsored them to work and lead them on the path to a green card!)

Unknown.

- Would it be worth trying to join the RAF as a pilot? Would they be more likely to take me on as I would have a degree and at least a PPL?

Right now there are a lot of pilots leaving due to the mandatory age retirement. More to do so soon. Joining the RAF would get you the hours, but it would take a few years, and that's if they actually let you fly. I don't know their system though. Again the faster you can get the hours, the faster you can get the job. Being tied down to the military may make it harder to get a job once you're out. Its your choice though.

- I have also found CTC Wings who finance your training with an airline and lead you on the path to a career? Again, their website makes it out to be amazing but I need some realistic comments instead of their advertising haha.

Unknown