PDA

View Full Version : Perth Alternates

JGSE
21st Jul 2014, 16:29
Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me which destination alternates are used by Emirates/Qatar/TheOtherOne in Perth/YPPH flights.

Thanks a lot!

halas
21st Jul 2014, 16:56
YPLM if the weather is good in YPPH.
YPAD if it is not

halas

SOPS
21st Jul 2014, 18:15
I think you need to understand..there is no where else. As Halas says there is Learmonth and Adelaide.

There is Kalgoolie, you might get it in, but I doubt it will come out.

Local knowledge, you could land at Pearce airforce base with out a problem.

But as far as the legal planning alternates go, Learmonth, Adelaide, Alice Springs, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbame are about it.

DCS99
21st Jul 2014, 20:09
Jetstar/QF from Melbourne.
Oh sorry, thought it was a Staff Travel question. :D

sleeve of wizard
22nd Jul 2014, 00:30
Isolated Reserves = 2hrs at cruise fuel flow or ADL

ima birdbrain
22nd Jul 2014, 02:20
Emirates do not treat YPPH as an Isolated Airfield and do not recognise the term " Island Holding " or " Isolated Reserves". YPLM or YPAD are carried as alternates.

Not highlighted in EK is that YPPH WX can go tits up at short notice with unforcast fog and strong local winds .YPPH should not be treated as just another Airport, given the remote location, lack of close suitable alternates , variations in local weather with only Cat 1 Approach.......

Worth recalling July 2012 when Unforcast Fog YPLM and YPPH caused CX A330 to divert to YPHD. (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-490236.html) (CX 137 HKG-PER)

JGSE
22nd Jul 2014, 05:14
Thanks Ima,

That was the main reason of my post, definitely Perth's a bit tricky!!!

Thanks all
:ok:

Buckshot
22nd Jul 2014, 05:19
Happened a few weeks ago due wx at PH. Went to AS then AD.

Following its diversions to Alice Springs on 19th June and Adelaide yesterday, Emirates Boeing 777-31HER A6-ECC continued the diverted EK424 Dubai – Perth of 19th June this afternoon, operating Adelaide – Perth as EK424D. The aircraft then operated yesterday’s delayed EK425 Perth – Dubai as EK425D.

Metro man
22nd Jul 2014, 12:49
B772 could do Kalgoorlie, B773 doubtful due to the fuselage length. Remember if you're diverting it's very likely other aircraft are as well which creates ground handling problems at the alternates.

CAT 2 Landing capability is routine worldwide and is even found in some third world countries. It's very disappointing that a capital city airport which is isolated and fog prone can't provide it when most of the major airline jets flying there are CAT 3 auto land equipped.

SOPS
22nd Jul 2014, 13:29
That's because the people that own the airport are more interested in running shopping centres than equipping an airport.

ExpatBrat
22nd Jul 2014, 13:38
I would never presume to think I have more local knowledge of Perth than somebody actually from there, but when we had that trip on the 340 (both the 300 and the 500) I flew it upwards of 3 dozen times. Our alternate was always Learmonth or Adelaide occasionally, with Pearce in my back pocket in case of a dire emergency with no other options.

I never saw fog there. I saw howling winds and driving rain a few times but we always got in, safely and within the limitations of the aircraft. Once I took about a half hour delay short of the runway waiting for the crosswind to drop within the -300's limits....even Garuda went around that night so you know it was bad!! Forest fires obscured one end of the runway one time and we used the other end....but never fog. And to be quite honest most of the time it was clear and a million.

halas
22nd Jul 2014, 13:56
Fog prone?

I lived in Perth in the 90's and have been operating there for over 20 years.
That's like saying Cottesloe beach is shark infested.

One thing that the state government did do to entice Emirates to operate there was to put the ILS in on 03 (helps with ETOPS planning).

Cat II or better on 21 would be nice, but a better option would be to upgrade KAL, both airport and ILS, to handle a few widebody diversions. Then the operators would save money all year round without carrying tonnes of gas and have somewhere to go if it does go pair shaped.

Having operated into Kalgoorlie, l know in winter it can be a bitch sometimes, but with a Cat I it would be fine.

Albany has got one.

halas

scandistralian
22nd Jul 2014, 16:16
Only one of the 3 flights is subject to any fog risk, on the other 2 you just need to keep an eye on the wind. I always suggest seasonally appropriate extra gas or YPAD on the 424, and happy to stick to plan on the 420/422 with YPLM.

The biggest challenge flying to Perth is getting your head around the price of a pre-departure coffee!

falconeasydriver
22nd Jul 2014, 16:37
Just a quick one about YPEA, with it being a bit further inland but still close to the river etc, does it fog out in a similar fashion on the days that PER goes t1ts up etc..?
Anyone know if they have steps at YPLM?
Scandi…you mean the girls in the lounge don't bring you one out?:E:E:E:E