PDA

View Full Version : RAF pilot vs RN Pilot

Costelloluke
21st Jul 2014, 07:08
I was wondering if anyone could reply to my following questions regarding pilots in the Navy and the Air Force;
1. Which would be better to apply for if I want to fly fighter jets?
2. Which has the more gloabl operations?
3. Which pilot would be more recognised by commercial airlines?
4. Which would be best to apply to for in terms of the governments future plans for fighter jets?

lj101
21st Jul 2014, 10:17
I think someone is trying to be a bit mischievous. Please don't take the hook.

MG
21st Jul 2014, 10:18
Floodgates - open!
This one will either run and run, or be closed within 24hrs.

dat581
21st Jul 2014, 10:57
How long before a certain bearded commander gets a mention? :E

Roland Pulfrew
21st Jul 2014, 11:19
Beer and popcorn for one please waiter. :E

Martin the Martian
21st Jul 2014, 11:21
Is that a can of worms I see before me? Yum yum.

Schnowzer
21st Jul 2014, 11:56
Easy. RAF, RN, neither, neither!

Boudreaux Bob
21st Jul 2014, 12:23
Depends on whether One is Limp Wristed or Limp Dicked!:oh:

To be fair, if One is both then the Army would be the better choice.

ShotOne
21st Jul 2014, 12:25
Assuming you're talking about Australian services, if fighter jets are your thing, the RAN is out cos they ain't got any. But you knew that, right? If you're asking about UK, a recent thread had good info on nationality requirements.

A minute or two on Google will answer your q'n on aircraft types. The fact you haven't done so already may make some question whether you're serious. If your motivaton is a commercial job, a) why not become one to start with b) perhaps best to avoid mentioning it to the careers officer.

Courtney Mil
21st Jul 2014, 12:59
The RN has no fighters. No current plans to get any either.

Hempy
21st Jul 2014, 13:29
Come on you lot, give the young fella a go.

Heres the deal mate.

For starters, you dont want to go with the navy. They wear faggy white shorts with the socks pulled up and lawn bowls shoes.

No, walk into a recruiting office and tell the corporal there that you've come to be a real life RAF Top Gun (he'll know what you mean ;) )

If you have your career already planned they'll view this as proactive. For example "After I get my wings, I'd like exotic postings flying around the world at Mach 2. Then, after I've pulled lots of hot chicks with my wings, medals and tales of dering-do, I'd like to retire to BA so I can fly A380's to LA, tap a hostie, and be home in time for pink gins" would get you on to the first course available I'd imagine.

Good luck, and make sure you wave to us from 39,000!!!

Courtney Mil
21st Jul 2014, 14:33
Hempy, you're a bad man. :D

CoffmanStarter
21st Jul 2014, 15:01
Hopefully some of us will still be around in 35 years time when you come back to regale your stories :uhoh:

Good luck with your career :ok:

fantom
21st Jul 2014, 15:35
You can answer this yourself: are you a poof or brown-hatter?

If neither, then it's the Air Force for you laddie.

airborne_artist
21st Jul 2014, 15:43
Which uniform looks better - a black one with a bit of gold on, or one that is easily mistaken for that of a car breakdown service?

Would you rather train at a college based in one of the UK's prettiest seaside towns or in a county largely occupied with growing carrots?

Would you be comfortable joining a service whose leadership lied about the location of Australia?

I could go on ;)

Lima Juliet
21st Jul 2014, 16:17
Dartmouth is hardly a seaside town! I'd call it a port/harbour, whereas Brighton, Southend, Bournemouth, Skegness, Hunstanton, Newquay, etc... are what I would call seaside towns. I guess it's because Dartmouth doesn't really have any sort of beach...

...the rest might have an element of truth! :ok:

LJ

airborne_artist
21st Jul 2014, 16:44
Seaside, n "a place by the sea, especially a beach area or holiday resort"

Two out of three for Dartmouth then.

The attractions of Sleaford are listed below:

:E

MadsDad
21st Jul 2014, 17:08
Leon, the one objection to your list is that Skegness is NEARLY a Seaside town (it is normally about 3 miles from the sea, at low tide). (And, having spent a week there for each of the first 16 years of my life I know this for certain).

And, Hempy, you say:-

walk into a recruiting office and tell the corporal there that you've come to be a real life RAF Top Gun

I believe the full procedure is that you walk into the office and say "Ive come to be a dum-dee-dum-dah-dah-dum-dum-dee-dum Top Gun". Then accept their fawning adulation.

chopper2004
21st Jul 2014, 17:28
Naw got a better one,

1) Go to uni AND join the best alcohol fueled - get - paid - to be soldier and sober (not necessary in that order ) :p and train to be led astray then LEAD others to be astray come the Tuesday Nights (as I remember them) and more weekends of fun plus a fortnight of fun and games in some remote outpost during the summer months.

2) Use the above for a nice RCB and ask for sponsorship by an arm (may cost you an arm and a leg but be worth it)

3) Play X box and Wii till the cows come home preferably in sync

4) Go to Lincs and do aptitude tests

5) The skies the limit after one year of fun at Sandhurst being led astray and teaching others to be led astray then its to the 'heath for flying like man intended with wings.

6) If you're lucky and get through the above its off to the west country and back to southwest for lotsa cyclic and collective in an AS350

7) After that year - streamed to the bestest and baddest beasts on the battlefield called Wildcat and Longbow (if you are very very lucky)

8) More living in tents, more getting wet and muddy then nice staff duty

9) Retire as Montgomery

cheers and good luck

diginagain
21st Jul 2014, 18:07
I used to follow blokes like you, chopper.

Mainly out of curiosity to see what you'd do next. A Subaltern isn't a great deal of use without a good SNCO to give guidance.

Schnowzer
21st Jul 2014, 18:12
Hempy,

Point of order, you missed "back in time for tea and medals!"

RIP Flasheart!

500N
21st Jul 2014, 18:13
Din

I'd agree with that.

One thing I always copped was Officers not being able to Navigate,
which I could.

Why are supposedly intelligent people not able to Navigate ?

And yes, I have known a few Officers that were dangerous with a compass.

4Greens
21st Jul 2014, 19:35
Before you do anything have an equivalent service medical. You may or may not be cleared for any flying appointment.

Lonewolf_50
21st Jul 2014, 19:58
Join the Navy, see the world.

Join the Air Force, and see a lot of the hotels in the world.

Your call. ;)

Tourist
21st Jul 2014, 20:54
This thread has beautifully demonstrated that if banter is sadly missing from your skill-set, then the RAF is for you.....:ok:

Mick Strigg
23rd Jul 2014, 08:41
In a bar, somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere, a Navy pilot and a Marine pilot are having a beer and enjoying some friendly banter.

An Army pilot walks in and the Navy & Marine pilots start to take the p1ss out of the poor Pongo.

A Crab pilot walks in and has the sh1t kicked out of him by the other three!

So, which one would you like to be?

P.S. I hate to correct a fellow dark-blue, but AA, Dartmouth is on the River Dart, not by the sea; the clue is in the name!

chopper2004
23rd Jul 2014, 11:34
Mick and AA,

One does not need any worthwhile distractions of oh-I-do-want-tobe-beside-the-sea do we? :p

In all seriousness reading Robert F Dorr's / Robert D Ketchell Wings of Gold - Motorbooks pub circa 1990/1991 following Student Naval Aviators dream predominantly from the then Aviation Officer Candidate School through Aviation indoctrination, Basic In T-34, then Immediate - T-2 Buckeye or T-44 for multi engine and TH-57 for rotary wing and Ta-4J for Advanced and of course it follows the diary and path of a budding NFO who does get his dream of being an A-6E B/N - from him already commissioned through the ROTC.

Anyhow in the chapter on Immediate Strike - when the students going onto the real business of flying fats jets learning in the T-2C Buckeye / - 'Attack Guppy' on the 3rd page above the lovely pics of the SNAs suiting up talks about NAS Kingsville and quote unquote "The newly arrived SNA soon learns that Kingsville, twenty nine miles south of Corpus Christi , is a big and friendly town, tourist town because of the famous King Ranch. Naval aviation is welcome here, but the pressure of flying and book learning will cut into anytime earmarked for the towns one movie or its half-dozen beef cookeries."

@ dig , yep I didn't mention the importance of the NCO be it a W01 or WO2 to see if our buddy would see that it's not all about him but is all about 'leadership' ethos is all about teamwork. No different to a GD aircrew officer in the RAF seeks / talks to say a Flt Sgt or a naval aviator being a ships Flt Cmdr talks / seeks advice from a CPO

I also did not mention the 6 months infantry and Cav attachment following graduation from the Academy because IIrC a mate of mine who ended up flying Gazelles ended 10 years ago did not do his 24 weeks of soldiering because the powers to be decided to change the traditional way and push everyone into flying training straight away those who passed their aptitude and medical.

Cheers

ShyTorque
23rd Jul 2014, 12:11
Those bleating about which training establishment is in the best part of the UK seemed to be unaware that Adelaide is on the other side of the planet....

Mick Strigg
23rd Jul 2014, 12:16
Yes ShyTorque, but the RAN equivalent of Dartmouth, HMAS Cresswell, is on the shores of Jervis Bay and Captain's Beach has the whitest sand you have ever seen! No contest.

Hempy
23rd Jul 2014, 12:42
http://www.navyweb2.co.uk/cpo%20naval%20whites%20left.jpg

airborne_artist
23rd Jul 2014, 16:14
P.S. I hate to correct a fellow dark-blue, but AA, Dartmouth is on the River Dart, not by the sea; the clue is in the name! For it is a town at mouth of the Dart, ie where the Dart meets the sea ;)

Compared to Camberley and Sleaford, Dartmouth most certainly is a seaside town :ok:

Not_a_boffin
23rd Jul 2014, 17:40
http://rac.com.au/cs/groups/public_portal/documents/internetcontent/raccont004788.jpg

The AVMs new staff car left something to be desired.......

ShyTorque
23rd Jul 2014, 17:48
Hempy, we have strange folks in UK who dress like that and prance around, too:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/morris_dancers_zps979fbfa5.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/shytorque/media/morris_dancers_zps979fbfa5.jpg.html)

Gullwings
23rd Jul 2014, 21:25
Some have mentioned poor Navigation! Well for those who may suffer with that problem do take care because if you travel to the other less well known ‘Blackpool’ then you may actually end up at a very nice beach which is actually only about 3 miles from Dartmouth!Blackpool Sands | South Devon | Dartmouth | Salcombe | South Hams | Plymouth | Torbay | Exeter (http://www.blackpoolsands.co.uk/)
If that beach does not take your fancy then there are several other ones to choose from in Torbay as well.

Hempy
24th Jul 2014, 05:14
Look, I know the Senior Service folks here will claim anything to try and convince themselves that they made the right choice, but honestly, claiming ANYWHERE in the UK as 'beach', 'seaside' etc, whilst literally accurate, is disingenuous at best. I mean really....:rolleyes:

For reference, this is a 'beach' :)

http://angelainsydney.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/othlsausp100surfers-paradise.jpg

strake
24th Jul 2014, 05:35
To be precise, it's an 'empty' beach. Presumably because the natives have been consumed in great numbers by the local fish.

Hempy
24th Jul 2014, 10:07
It's empty because its only 25C in winter...too cold for swimming :)

KPax
24th Jul 2014, 10:42
Doesn't one service have aircraft that are good to fly, the other would like good aircraft but don't have them and have very few people qualified to fly them even if they could get them serviceable and delivered.

strake
24th Jul 2014, 14:15
It's empty because its only 25C in winter...too cold for swimming

Bless their precious little hearts, of course it is...:)

Thomas coupling
24th Jul 2014, 14:38
Or...........................
Doesn't one service have a bright, modern, new, exciting future......and the other have aircraft going out of date and airbases shutting down, perhaps?

Exascot
27th Jul 2014, 12:32
You get to sleep with the captain :E

Female Navy Commander Faces Affair Claims (http://news.sky.com/story/1307973/female-navy-commander-faces-affair-claims)

longer ron
27th Jul 2014, 14:53
Doesn't one service have a bright, modern, new, exciting future.

I had to have a chuckle at that statement LOL