PDA

View Full Version : Differences between flying in NZ and Australia

SkinFricti0n
21st Jul 2014, 05:24
Hi all,

I recently completed my license validation from a New Zealand CPL to an Australian License. What are the main areas of difference between flying in Australia than New Zealand. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've noticed so far that everything you need is scattered all over the show including the weather information, law etc.
I've started to read the VFR guide released by CASA and reading the AIP occasionally. Right now i know i could go up for a flight but I'm not sure whether i could get back without a few infrignments
:cool:

flyingkea
21st Jul 2014, 08:55
Hello,
Some of the main differences I've found:
Maintenance releases, in australia they must be signed every day before the first flight. (Or if signed by a PPL then before each flight) In NZ i seem to remember barely glancing at the tech log before flight. (And woe betide anyone who wrote in it - you might defect/ground the aircraft *gasp* :=)

CAO 48 flight and duty times.
Not sure what sort of work you would be doing, but as a destructor, I'd read the Day VFR syllabus.

The pilot award - over here in aus we actually get paid a wage. This document sets out minimum wages etc and what you are entitled to for different work.

They have aircraft endorsements over here, and design feature endorsements. So for example I could theoretically train in an arrow then be allowed to fly all aircraft below 5700kg, that may or may not have a CSU. (In practice though, most operators will want you to prove you can fly it before sending you off by yourself)

Weather information - BOM is a good forecasting site, kinda like our metservice. For TAFs, ARFORs etc go to NAIPs (airservices)

Over here the documents include the ERSA (in some respects like the AIP. The AIP (which in all honesty I don't think I've used operationally), Jeppersons, country airstrip guide. Maps - depending on where you are as to what you use, but it does seem strange at first to be navigating off a WAC (1:1000000) I remember in NZ being told off for using a 1:500000 as "it didn't have enough detail."

Navigating - no more track crawling, you really need to use dead reckoning, 1:60's out here.

Haven't seen a low flying zone in West Aus, and no, you may not go below 500' on a PFL. (Flwop)

These are the main things I have encountered when I came over, I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to

riseagainst
21st Jul 2014, 09:47
Jumping in on the thread as I've recently moved here too.I've been trying to read up as much as I can but my order hasn't arrived yet (ERSA, maps etc) so haven't been able to have a look at how everything is laid out yet.

What frequencies do you mainly use out of control zone, uncontrolled airspace clear of aerodromes? I was previously flying in the Pacific Islands, had to be within +2mins of your eta at all turning points and listening watch on control or information.
The 1:1000 000 will be something new! To be honest I don't think I've ever used one. So you prefer Jeppesen over Airservices documents?
Once again thanks for your reply in advance

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Jul 2014, 10:16
What are the main areas of difference between flying in Australia than New Zealand.

Oz is a BIG country - UnZud is a tiny country! :E

Nulli Secundus
21st Jul 2014, 10:23
they talk funny!

riseagainst
21st Jul 2014, 10:40
Could of expected the above comments!! Huge country, previous island I lived in used to take thirty minutes to fly from one side too the other including holding time on the ground ;)

Rod Con
21st Jul 2014, 10:52
"Maintenance releases, in australia they must be signed every day before the first flight. (Or if signed by a PPL then before each flight)"

I think you should revise that one. You are signing to say that you have performed a daily inspection. Pilot licenced to fly the aircraft can carry out this maintenance IAW CAR 42ZC PPL or CPL no difference.

flyingkea
21st Jul 2014, 14:44
"Maintenance releases, in australia they must be signed every day before the first flight. (Or if signed by a PPL then before each flight)"

I think you should revise that one. You are signing to say that you have performed a daily inspection. Pilot licenced to fly the aircraft can carry out this maintenance IAW CAR 42ZC PPL or CPL no difference.

I could well be wrong, as there are no PPL holders where I work (only students and CPLs), but that's what had been passed on to me by word of mouth. I will ask one of the aus trained guys tomorrow. Just whatever you do, do NOT sign if the hours don't match up, or a date has been passed. Bad things happen... :(

Frequencies - we use 126.7 for uncontrolled, and melbourne centre for listening watch. The ERC has these frequencies. Also WACs don't have airspace or frequencies on them. VTCs do, have never seen a VNC to compare. PCAs are for decoding wx forecasts. On. Similar note, no day light tables here, gotta use a chart with lat/long from AIP or just use naips.
Depending on where you are too, you might not need to deal with significant magnetic variation either, which makes things so much easier with planning (WA).

Yea ETAs within 2 min. I found it emphasised here alot more than back home. But that might be because I'm teaching it here over flat desert rather than studying and being far more interested in flying through the pretty mountains.

Haven't used AIP much or Jepps at all, but planning to study my ATPLs while on a years leave, each has their good points from what I've been told. The AIP is like our Vol 1. Ersa is where I go to find aerodrome information. Or country airstrip guide for the remote outback towns.

mattyj
21st Jul 2014, 21:31
There's no difference, if you can fly a plane in Aus, you can fly a plane in NZ. Only difference is the box ticking exercises you must go through before you take off..in fact the boxes are circles in Aus, they use ticks insdead of X's and the paper is a different colour..actually there seems lots more of it in Aus..hmm

thorn bird
21st Jul 2014, 21:45
In Australia when the volume of the paperwork equals the volume of the payload,

You can take off.

flyinkiwi
22nd Jul 2014, 00:28
Going in the other direction to the OP, one of the things I've noticed is that Australian pilots wanting validation of their license in NZ to fly on PPL privileges are having to complete the terrain awareness section of the NZ PPL syllabus since its not done over in the West Island prior to the BFR checkride.

So if you are thinking about coming over here make sure you can prove you have commensurate experience or can stump up the cash for up to 5 hours of dual.

flyingkea
22nd Jul 2014, 10:21

I stand corrected, from what I could find out, it doesn't matter if you have a PPL or CPL, just so long as you have a full licence. Another difference between australia and NZ, you can make head and tail of the rules in NZ...:E

mcgrath50
22nd Jul 2014, 11:01
I can't comment on what it's like in New Zealand but what you have fallen victim to is the hangar gossip syndrome that is rampant in Australia.

Some schools do require PPLs to sign the MR each flight, unless a CPL has already signed for the day. Why? God knows. Students learn this and don't realise it's a company not CASA requirement, move on and and teach people this rule as fact. No one bothers to check because as you said the rules are a mess, you can check 3 volumes (AIP, CAO, CAR) + advisory publications and the things that are worded plainly are usually contradicted somewhere else.

:ugh: I sound like Jaba! :E

bonzaii
22nd Jul 2014, 17:56
also a kiwi, now in Perth

No need to read back info and qnh - leave it at info

establishing communication isnt really required - blow stright into your initial contact call

joining altitude is 500ft above circuit height, which for high performace aircraft is 1500ft - (IE join at 2000ft) generally people join 45deg downwind or on a 3mile final. our standard overhead rejoin is called an overfly(if im not mistaken)

VFR here have requirements for alternates - learn them!

NZ no one gives a crap if ur a bad pilot, or running dodgy (TBH) BUT here, you can be "ramped" (checked for compliance) so have uptodate info and charts, if the plate is out of date, DO NOT TAKE IT IN THE PLANE - even if your not going to use that exact chart

IFR rules are different, definitely worth a read.

there is the ability to overstock people on your aircraft - 2 kids under 14 to a seat if combined weight is 77kg or below, and babies can be in proper restraints - HOWEVER - there is a limit to how many people you can have - light aircraft i think 6seat and below, can have 1 additional pax, and 12seat you can have 2 overstocked (look up those figures, im pretty hazy on that and CBF looking them up right now :D (gawd im helpful :})

also be aware that when she get really hot here, light aircraft wont fly - NZ its just drop in performance, but outback aus, in the sticks its **** scary

read your interception info, they can actually do damage to you here

you need a flightplan to fly on controlled airspace (NAIPS)

crusiing levels are east west (east odd +500VFR and west even +500)

also radio requirements are deffirent

cruising levels are expected above 5000 (like 3000 in NZ) but do attempt to comply below

some aerodromes have visual flight guides, read them first

if you dont know the aerodrome, tell them (ATC) and "request detailed Taxi Instructions" when your inevitably lost on the ground

if you are going to use an EFB get familiar with the law - RE: screen size min 200mm (also have full battery, and a backup doesnt hurt, that will help you if you get ramped)

thats all for now - if you get bored, read the law, and you will want to go home, it makes NZ law look well written :ugh:

anyone in perth keen for a beer?

dabz
23rd Jul 2014, 01:41
If you're from kiwi land and want to start flying VFR in Oz, go study Bob Taits CPL law book and study ENR 1.1 from the AIP.

That will get you started.

DeltaT
23rd Jul 2014, 02:30
The air in NZ is very special, and if you have flown any other place in the world you are considered contaminated, and must not take flight again in such golden space. Even more so, NZ aircraft fly and behave totally differently to other countries, and the cloud and rain are unique. :mad::ugh: :}

flyingkea
23rd Jul 2014, 13:02
Another fellow kiwi in Perth.
also a kiwi, now in Perth

We do all seem to be lurking as far west as you can get... Fleeing the motherland... :E

Ex FSO GRIFFO
24th Jul 2014, 03:09
Yep! The grass is 'greener'....but only when it rains.....

Cheers :ok:

The major dufference is I would think, everything here is ....

'Strict Liability' 50,00000 Penalty Units,....

And, Beware passengers with Go-Pros.........

Fly Safe...:ok:

Super Ord
24th Jul 2014, 06:46
And yet another kiwi in Perth, and always keen for a beer!!

Hempy
24th Jul 2014, 07:21
Bondi Junction too expensive these days? :)