PDA

View Full Version : Jodel Accident at Full Sutton - No one hurt luckily

kevkdg
20th Jul 2014, 18:58
Lucky escape as light aircraft crashes at Full Sutton (From York Press) (http://m.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11352842.Lucky_escape_as_light_aircraft_crashes_at_Full_Sutt on/)

thing
20th Jul 2014, 19:11
Looks good to me. Two walking talking after what I speculate is a donk failure. Well done the pilot.

ETOPS
20th Jul 2014, 19:45
what I speculate is a donk failure

Looking at the photo I wonder if there might be another reason :hmm:

magpienja
20th Jul 2014, 20:31
Yes looking at the prop...it appears the motor was running...but how well is another story.

Maoraigh1
20th Jul 2014, 20:32
when their two seater plane failed to take off from Full Sutton airfield.

Both prop blades are damaged, so engine was turning. Density altitude? Mogas vapour lock leading to loss of power? Carb ice (humid warm air within the carb ice range)?
I'm certain it wasn't a nose wheel collapse on the take-off run.:E

surely not
20th Jul 2014, 20:45
I am intrigued that the aircraft 'ditched' into a field :ooh::}

Maybe with the higher temperatures, weight and balance became an issue? I am sure ETOPS was suggesting a similar idea :)

Above The Clouds
20th Jul 2014, 20:50
Two big blokes, cockpit stuffed full of luggage / equipment, one case on the wing were did that fit :eek: only saying :uhoh:

tomboo
20th Jul 2014, 21:05
That propellor is never large enough to make that plane fly.... What they needed was a bigger one..

thing
20th Jul 2014, 21:30
Looking at the photo I wonder if there might be another reason

Good spot, didn't really look at the photo closely, just assumed EFATO. Still, whatever the reason, two guys walking which is good.

Lone_Ranger
20th Jul 2014, 21:49
ETOPS combined with the temperature I think you have a point, they might have just gotten away with in the past at 16 degrees, might not work at 26

Glad they are ok

'Chuffer' Dandridge
21st Jul 2014, 17:53
Would love to have seen the W&B calcs for that trip. I have a Jodel, very similar to the 120 shown here and 2 fat blokes on board = no luggage and only max 3/4 tanks:sad:

snapper1
21st Jul 2014, 18:03
All speculation.
What is known is that these two are very experienced aviators - based in the local area.

Sir George Cayley
21st Jul 2014, 18:47
Word to the wise.

After surviving a death dive, steered away from schools, hospitals and puppy farms then pancaked into a farmers field - don't pose for the local press:ok:

Being local and experienced doesn't inure you from pranging.

SGC

maxred
21st Jul 2014, 19:52
It would appear to be surprising that the pair actually fitted in. Everything but the kitchen sink crammed in there.

They may regret that photo. Ah, and the mysterious, three inch prop...

Katamarino
21st Jul 2014, 19:58
"Very experienced" does not automatically mean competent. It might mean that someone has just been flying in their same little patch for decades without learning anything new.

snapper1
21st Jul 2014, 20:01
Well, Sir George, I guess you should know. Brompton Dale wasn't it? Oh no, that was your coachman.:)

Airclues
21st Jul 2014, 20:42
It's fifteen years since I flew a Jodel 120. From memory the empty weight was 340kg, the max AUW was 620kg and the fuel capacity was 120lt. Can anyone with more recent knowledge confirm these figures.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Jul 2014, 21:29
don't pose for the local press
Depends how well known you are to the local press, mine would just use a stock photo if I didn't pose for them. And the one they usually use has me grinning like a maniac, so I might want to pose for something more appropriate to the occasion.

hoodie
21st Jul 2014, 21:43
I've always understood that volume was not necessarily an indicator of mass.

But hey, why should any of that stop us slagging off fellow aviators after an undoubtedly traumatic experience? Do carry on.

flybymike
21st Jul 2014, 23:02
I've always understood that volume was not necessarily an indicator of mass.

These were hollow people?

Sir Niall Dementia
22nd Jul 2014, 07:43
G-INFO give a max all up weight of 650kg and a different name as the registered owner to either of the two on board, I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.

The AAIB report will be interesting.

I haven't flown a 120 for a very long time but with 2 hefty blokes on board it definitely wouldn't take full fuel, let alone any bags.

SND

ifonly
22nd Jul 2014, 08:02
...and the photo on G-INFO looks like it is one of the two flying wearing the same shirt! :)

robin
22nd Jul 2014, 09:09
Took an overloaded Cub on a trip to France once - well I took off and landed straight back

Problem was my passenger had some heavy items in his luggage he hadn't told me about (No it wasn't gold bars!)

We were a long way out of trim so the circuit and landing was interesting(!)

Learnt a lot from that event, but not quite in the same way as these guys

Croqueteer
22nd Jul 2014, 12:15
:=My 120 (Recently weighed) disposable load is 266kgs. So two big guys @ 100kgs plus baggage min of 30kgs leaves 50ltrs fuel. Reminds me of the Canadian bush pilot persuaded by two hunters to load two moose from their camp because the pilot last year let them bring two moose. As they staggered from the wreckage on a gentle slope, one said "where are we Fred?" "About a mile further than last year!"

Wander00
22nd Jul 2014, 14:55
Croqueteer - thanks, that is one of the funniest stories I have ever read

al_renko
22nd Jul 2014, 19:24
thats funny

Crash one
22nd Jul 2014, 23:46
The picture says it all really. If it wasn't so embarrassing to the two aviators , it should be hung on the wall at airstrips as a reminder what not to do & why.

India Four Two
23rd Jul 2014, 00:45
Reminds me of the Canadian bush pilot ...
Floatplane bush pilots often judge the weight of their load by the position of the waterline on the floats. Hence the famous, probably apocryphal, last words: "Looks like a good Beaver load to me!"

Bearing in mind that each float displaces a volume of water of at least the maximum AUW, you need to pay attention when the floats are half-submerged.

Rod1
23rd Jul 2014, 13:40
Without knowing how much fuel was on board it is impossible to know if the aircraft is overloaded. I am flying round France two up with bags. If I filled the tank I would be overweight.

Rod1

flybymike
23rd Jul 2014, 14:55
I suppose a flight from Full Sutton to Calais would require a reasonable amount of fuel on board, unless interim stops were planned, as indeed may have been the case.

snapper1
13th Jul 2016, 13:02
Summary: (AAIB report)
The aircraft took of from Runway 04 at Full Sutton Airfield at close to its maximum all-up weight. The reported wind was from 090° at 10 kt. The pilot noticed a slower than normal acceleration during the takeoff roll, which he expected as the aircraft was heavy, but he was airborne before his decision point. Shortly after becoming airborne, at approximately 50 ft, the pilot reported that the aircraft encountered a downdraft and he was unable to prevent it from sinking. The aircraft was unable to climb above the rising ground ahead, and its undercarriage collided with a hedge forcing the aircraft to pitch forward onto the ground, where the undercarriage collapsed and the aircraft came to an abrupt halt. The pilot made the aircraft safe and he and his passenger exited normally.

During its last LAA flight test, at close to its maximum weight, the aircraft reportedly achieved a climb rate of over 600 fpm.

3wheels
13th Jul 2016, 16:32
That made me laugh!

Monocock
13th Jul 2016, 22:33
What made you laugh?

BEagle
14th Jul 2016, 10:16
If I recall correctly, that period in July 2014 was very hot and muggy - unlike this year's pathetic summer.

Quite what effect the OAT would have had on climb performance once out of ground effect, I'm not sure.

ak7274
15th Jul 2016, 14:56
If I recall correctly, that period in July 2014 was very hot and muggy - unlike this year's pathetic summer.

Quite what effect the OAT would have had on climb performance once out of ground effect, I'm not sure.
It wasn't a good day to climb out of anywhere at mtow. I departed 5 mins earlier and my climb rate in a similar aircraft wasn't great.

DownWest
16th Jul 2016, 06:23
Back in '74, A D-120 based at Shipdham was flown over to Amsterdam. The owner got chatting to a rugby team downtown on a bender. Offered on of them a lift back to UK. So, owner was probably around 70kg, but his pax was quite big and had a decent kit bag with him.

Back in Norfolk, I wheeled the a/c back into the hanger, but noticed something odd with the tailwheel. Sternpost was split verticaly, so called the owner, who remembered a slight bump on climb out and told me about the pax and that he was 'slightly' overweight. Seems he had hit an approach light, as I got the bill from the Dutch later.

Robin
We had a regular US client who travelled to europe in one of our Twincoms. A bit after his last charter we had the CID around. Yes, he had been carrying gold bars!

Vilters
17th Jul 2016, 22:55
I used to have a D-120.

True empty weight was 390 kg. Max weight was 650kg. = 260kg useful load.
Fuel is 117 liters. ( a D-120 has a 117 liter tank behind the pilots.)

The rest is in the picture.

3wheels
17th Jul 2016, 23:36
I say again this report made me laugh.

The AAIB are extremely good at writing their reports . Read it again and note the paragraph about the " reported rate rate of climb" on the last air test.

Note "Reported".