PDA

View Full Version : BAE Systems Striker II Helmet

RAFEngO74to09
20th Jul 2014, 18:15
Looks like a useful bit of kit with integrated night vision camera:

BBC News - BAE unveils Striker II night vision helmet for fighter pilots (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28335204)

NutLoose
20th Jul 2014, 18:38
Multi million pounds development and they still have to dynotape their name on it.... That's so 60's :p

lightningmate
20th Jul 2014, 18:40
Hmm!

Just what the original Typhoon Head Equipment Assembly was contracted to deliver some many years ago at considerable cost.

Here comes yet more cost on top of that already paid for with the original requirement.

Does it never end :ugh:

lm

chopper2004
20th Jul 2014, 18:49
When I was in my final year of my aerospace degree, one of our aerodynamics Dr. C casually mentioned to us during a tutorial, he was doing some research studies for DERA (literally before it split into Qinetiq and DSTL) for the TYphoon helmet, and needed some volunteers to wear it. We all shot our hands up to test it out however due to ethics etc etc, could not use us humble beer swelling, lass chasing fine individuals!

Cheers

tucumseh
20th Jul 2014, 19:15
Chopper & LM

That certainly rings bells. BAeS approached MoD(PE) in 1996 for advice on the (EFA) helmet. I remember it well - at the Hilton in Bristol. MoD (DERA Farnborough) were years ahead of anyone else. They were interested in the Digital ANR development that had commenced, after successful introduction of the analog system in a Mk4A, and also the 3D audio system trialled in Lynx. The visor/display sounds an awful lot like that trialled by the Army in Cyprus in about 99. The appliance of existing science!

Evalu8ter
20th Jul 2014, 20:06
Wore it at FIA last week. At first sight a very capable piece of kit, but it's in a fairly crowded market at the moment. I've flown TopOwl briefly and also looked at the RC F35 system. Not to forget the cheaper HMDs that fit to existing helmets such as Q-Sight and Scorpion.

Write your requirement well, find the cash and there are plenty of options out there....

27mm
21st Jul 2014, 07:23
Love the bit about the jet "accelerating at 9G". The Tiff is pokey alright, but strewth! :ok:

HTB
21st Jul 2014, 08:04
I'm sure the Typhoon can manage a 9g turn, i.e. non-linear acceleration.

Mister B

rafmatt1984
21st Jul 2014, 21:54
Great another helmet that's going to cost a fortune to the MOD and no doubt break every other sortie.

Stitchbitch
22nd Jul 2014, 11:25
At least 'they' got rid of the 'bolt on' NVG on the earlier helmet. Hopefully Typhoon pilots will soon have one helmet and not three - HEA, MK.10C and Mk.4A4 :}

Does this mean future Tiffie pilots need no necks? Must give a bit of neck ache tooling about and pulling Gs with that thing on, especially off boresight shots?

lightningmate
22nd Jul 2014, 11:46
Stitchbitch,

Assuming the latest attempt to integrate a Camera for night vision is actually usable! Also, only a single Camera so a mono display, possibly some 'clever processing' may be involved.

Interesting that head tracking features so much in the publicity, HEA was supposed to have that capability and changing that system technology would have a major knock-on to the cockpit mounted sensors. Oh, I get it, MOD needs to pay again for a capability that should already be in place.

lm