PDA

View Full Version : Faroe Islands help?

ttyak
19th Jul 2014, 15:51
Hi, this is my first post. I'm thinking of flying up to the Faroe Islands in a pa28 at some point from the uk. The plan would be to fill up at sumburgh then fill up with cans again at unst to get maximum range. I'm wandering if anyone who has previously done this flight help me out with things such as requirements to fly up there and information etc.

Thanks!

Tinstaafl
19th Jul 2014, 23:50
It's not that far to the Faroes - about the same as Lerwick or Sumburgh to Aberdeen. The catch is to have enough fuel to get there & then to an alternate - and that can get tricky with respects to range. The only reasonable alternate is Sumburgh unless the storm force wind from the south or south east will blow you to Iceland.

The strong winds & North Sea/N. Atlantic weather needs to be considered carefully. When I was based in Shetland, I occasionally had to consider Tórshavn & Bergen for alternates into Shetland after ambulance flights to Aberdeen. Sometimes the combination of winds & weather made getting back to a Scottish alternate a problem.