PDA

View Full Version : IN 2014-114 Procedures for Examiners Holding Part/FCL Certificates Issued by Countri

this is my username
18th Jul 2014, 06:58
Anyone looked at this one yet?

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2014114.pdf

I'm planning to do an FAA - EASA conversion at a non-UK ATO and have the licence issued by the UK CAA. Reading this IN it states:

"In all cases where a skill test is to be conducted for the initial issue of a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) or Instrument Rating (IR) (including a Competency Based’ IR (CB IR)) the examiner shall be selected and designated by the UK CAA."

Does anyone know if that rule only applies to UK-ATOs? As I understand it at present non-UK ATOs test under their national arrangements and (generally) nominate their own examiners. Does this IN change that?

I would rather have my licence issued direct by the UK CAA, but if this IN makes it impractical then I would have to get the licence issued by the local authority then change the state of licence issue to the UK. If I had to do that it would make a mockery of the red tape challenge!

18th Jul 2014, 09:48
I took my IR skill test in Belgium, I have a CAA issued EASA CPL. The FE applied for the skill test and was officially designated by the CAA. The CAA may always designate someone else, that's the way I think the IN must be construed.

this is my username
20th Jul 2014, 18:30
Thanks - will speak to the school closer to the time and see how they are handling it.

BigGrecian
30th Jul 2014, 02:10
As I understand it at present non-UK ATOs test under their national arrangements and (generally) nominate their own examiners. Does this IN change that?

Examining is separate from the training and nothing to do with where the ATO is located or who is the competent authority for the ATO. Remember the ATO is only approved to deliver training, not testing.

If your medical records are with the UK examining is conducted under UK rules and regulations.

For CPL and IR they will designate based on examiner availability in your area.
The CAA are cracking down on some foreign examiners as the standard obviously hasn't meant their standard.

Be warned - There are schools who will tell you they have UK approved examiners - although true in the past several cannot actually offer this for "some reason" which I believe to be connected to the above.