PDA

View Full Version : Crash at LPL closes Airport flights diverted to MAN

Dave Cummings
16th Jul 2014, 22:10
A Helecopter has crashed at LPL at approx 630 pm according to LPL airport and the Liverpool Echo Helicopter flips over on its side in Liverpool John Lennon airport drama - Liverpool Echo (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/helicopter-flips-over-side-liverpool-7440634)

Most flights are or have been diverted to MAN

SilsoeSid
17th Jul 2014, 07:51
A helicopter flipped over on its side while on a training exercise at Liverpool’s John Lennon airport at just after 6pm today. It is believed the small two-seater helicopter, a Robinson R22, was just above the ground when one of the rotor blades clipped the taxiway, causing the craft to flip over on to its side. The two people on board walked away uninjured.

Liverpool JLA spokesman Robin Tudor said: “The helicopter was just above the ground and doing a taxi-ing manoeuvre when it appears the rotor blade clipped the taxiway, causing it to flip over on to its side. Fortunately the two people who were on board both walked away. Our emergency services were immediately on the scene.”

The accident took place on one of the taxiways to the side of the runway, at the western end of the airfield. A mixture of privately-owned and flying school helicopters are based at the site.

http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article7440801.ece/alternates/s615/JS41934998.jpg
http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article7440821.ece/alternates/s615/JS41935339.jpg
http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article7440801.ece/alternates/s615/JS41934998.jpg

Wander00
17th Jul 2014, 08:16
Good the crew are OK, but I Have to say I would never get into a Robinson

GoodGrief
17th Jul 2014, 09:01
They shut down the whole airport for that?:rolleyes:

Helen49
17th Jul 2014, 09:38
An obstacle in the 'clear and graded area'??

biggles38
17th Jul 2014, 10:11
why? Accidents happen in all types (especially when training)

The R22 is a great machine (but you wouldn`t know if you never get in one!)

mad_jock
17th Jul 2014, 10:21
they have to shut because they have lost the fire Cat for the airport while the fire men sort it out.

biggles38
17th Jul 2014, 10:22
I`ve been flying Robbos for years .... no problem if flown within envelope.

I have a neighbour who has 4000 hours (some combat) on military and civilian big helicopters and he used to say similar. He has taught Apache simulator for 3+ years.

Recently the Army sent him to Goodwood to do 12 hours on an R22 to get his "current" status back and came to fly my R22 first to try it.

He loved it, passed his test and now looking to buy one !!!

Don`t believe everything you hear till try it.

terminus mos
17th Jul 2014, 10:35
Another Robinson....what a surprise.

The Nr Fairy
17th Jul 2014, 14:48
The common factor in all the helicopter crashes we see here is that there were pilots at the controls.

The fact it's an R22 is irrelevant, surely. The fact it's the most prevalent training helicopter bar none means it's going to figure more prominently in the accident statistics.

Glad to see both the occupants walked away.

biggles38
18th Jul 2014, 07:52
well said sir...

SilsoeSid
18th Jul 2014, 09:31
Isn't that argument running a bit dry yet?

I would have thought that being in the training environment would mean that it should be the safest environment in which to be in a Robinson. Yet it doesn't appear to be so.

The Mini is the most prolific car in which driving is taught in this country, yet is involved in less accidents than any other type.

Both vehicles are extensively used in the learning environment, both are used by novice & experienced drivers alike, yet one always seems to be crashing more than any other type in its class. Now why would that be?

Peter-RB
18th Jul 2014, 09:49
Looking at the Vid it seems the wind was right up the rear end of the R22, that would have caused any R22 Student a little twitch or two, possibly simply over-corrected , then again and by that time tips meeting tarmac.

Sad to damage any flying machine, but valuable lessons will have been learnt!

Peter R-B
Lancashire

Aesir
18th Jul 2014, 23:02
I wish there was a study on how often ex- R22 CFI´s were involved in pilot error related accidents later in their career versus pilots who did their intial training and first hours in other types.

I am close to 8000 hours now and have 2500hrs as CFI (1600hrs in R-22) and I can immediately tell if someone flying with me has R22 experience. R22 pilots are just that more nervous and ready for something bad to happen to you. It´s really beyond just the character of the person. I have many times said to my fellow pilot be it student for type rating or co-pilot at work "..so I guess you have been flying R-22´s"

Not been wrong yet. The R-22 is an unforgiving trainer and will not tolerate mistakes. If that is good or bad in a trainer I don´t know, but it sure builds different pilots.