PDA

View Full Version : Minmum Contract Period

Rote 8
24th May 2002, 15:39
All

Quick Query from someone more familiar with the goings on in the Wannabees forum.

I am interested in becoming an ATCO, but am more interested in being on the other end of the radio (no offence). Is there a minimum term that an individual is contracted to work for NATS following training? - I realise that the training is thorough and rigorous and can only assume that there is a significant cost involved, therefore it may seem reasonable to assume that once trained there is some minimum commitment that is expected of you. - Is this the case?

I would not want to start down the road to becoming a controller if it precluded me from getting a flying job in a few years time.

Thanks to all in advance

2 six 4
24th May 2002, 16:07
3 months notice if you want a reference. You can walk out the door if you never want to work for NATS again.

niknak
26th May 2002, 12:57
But bear in mind, whichever side of the microphone you sit, aviation is a very small world where word and reputations spread fast.
If you did "walk out" on an employer, your actions would always be in the back of the mind of the next person to interview you.

fatcontroller
26th May 2002, 14:55
I can only say that during my time so far, those 'trainees' that have got other ideas about their career have usually been spotted quite early on and on some occasions may not receive the 'best' training that may be available. Now- a failed career is definately something you don't want under youre belt . Training is quite a personal thing as unlike the airline industry we see a trainee through all of their on line training and as you would expect, a bond develops and a personal interest grows towards a trainees success or otherwise. We all put a huge amount of effort into training people and trying to guide them towards being a good controller.
May I suggest that you make your mind up which career you want before wasting our time and efforts and blocking another - dedicated applicant from getting a chance.
It does cost a huge sum of money to train you but from an operational point of view there is nothing more demoralising than someone who uses us as a stepping stone to pass the time until their real job hope comes to fruition.

Spitoon
26th May 2002, 19:15
Let's hope the fatcontroller and his like-minded colleagues never get it wrong and ruin a dedicated trainees career by providing less than the 'best' training.

Or is this just one more manifestation your face having to 'fit' to stand much chance of getting through the training?

Just do your job - if you take the money to do training, treat everyone fairly!

Loki
26th May 2002, 21:25
Spitoon:

What money?

Apart from which, why waste time on time wasters?

Spitoon
26th May 2002, 22:00
If I'm not mistaken NATS controllers get pain extra if they are prepared and qualified to take on u/ts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It depends what you call a time waster. Your criteria will be different from mine and by making our judgement, whether we are right or not, we can effectively end any chance of a u/t having a career in ATC. As the fatcontroller points out, u/t and mentor are often paired for much of a u/t's training and an experienced controller can stich up a u/t with barely a though. Trust me, I've seen it done.

I just think everyone deserves a fair chance - I've never held a grudge against a chopped pilot that I've trained - he got the same as everyone else. I have no doubt though that he was looking forward to the day when he'd be able to go back flyng (pilots are funny like that).

Maybe it's just that I'm daft? :confused:

fatcontroller
27th May 2002, 10:20
Spitoon

I have been a little vague in my comments - let me clarify.
My colleagues and I have never ended a career because we had a grudge. We have always given training our very best shot. It is soul destroying though when you know that someone is using it as a short term step and in some cases to help their airline application. There is a BIG uk airline that would - even recently - recruit ATCO trainees but on condition that they successfully passed the unit (LATCC) simulator part of their training. So we are working hard training this so called applicant. Injecting loads of money and other resources that could be used by someone else - to find out what we are doing amounts to a job interview or a uk airline selection process.
I am sure you can appreciate we don't like it and I said that this MAY result in the training not being the best.
Incidentally it is usually the case that the applicant would not make it anyway because of a distinct lack of dedication.

Oh yes we do get paid for training - a measly 3% not 20% like many training captains - it's more a desire to see people do well than the money I'm afraid.

Fatcontroler:p

professor yaffle
28th May 2002, 16:24
Rote,
why would you want to spend up to 3years (or longer sometimes)training for a career you really don't want to do?
It takes a lot of hard work, study, and ability to become a valid ATCO.
Also if you're hearts not in it and hankering after another career then I would think you would be less likely to succeed in ATC.
Decide what it is you want, THEN put yourself through the stress and heartbreak for whichever path you choose.

28th May 2002, 16:36
Why would anyone want to put themselves through the mincer at CATC when they don't want to be an ATCO?

Be under no illusions about the college; it's two strikes and you're out, you are forced to study at their pace - not yours, and there is a very high workload throughout the course. Hence the high failure rate.

Also, there's the constant threat that an uncharacteristic mistake on the day could get you chopped - something I'd certainly not had to deal with before CATC. Often people are already on their second go - and that's it: game over. It happens to the best of 'em, but that's the nature of ATC! No second chances in the real world.....

WX Man
29th May 2002, 07:40
I find it absolutely inconceivable that anyone would think that this is a stepping stone to something better. I mean, yes... you kind of expect it if you're running a bar in a big University town that a fair proportion of your employees are going to be with you, at very best 3 years... but Air Traffic Control? Who would even entertain the idea of doing it for just a bit?!!

(OK, so I don't speak with the benefit of experience. That's just my view from the bottom, FWIW).

foo fighting
30th May 2002, 11:55
Spitoon,

'face not fitting, comment

Where does that come from, perhaps originating from someone not meeting the TC/AC grade now earning crust elsewhere ?