PDA

View Full Version : Antibiodics and CASA

PammyAnderson
15th Jul 2014, 00:40
Apologies if raised before. Does anyone know can you fly while on Antibiodics in Australia under the CASA Damp regs. Can't see any of the banned drugs (opiates, etc) listed however I thought I would see if anyone has better knowledge without having to fork out $70 just to go and ask a dame a simple question. I can't see any phone number you can ring CASA directly to ask either.
Cheers in advance.

dubbleyew eight
15th Jul 2014, 09:29
you sound like you've got a cold.

gingernut
15th Jul 2014, 20:30
I should imagine they'd be more interested in the underlying condition being "treated."

mnehpets
15th Jul 2014, 23:34
An ancient version of the DAME handbook says that antibiotics are allowed if:

* the infectious condition being treated will not significantly interfere with aviation related activities and will not be exacerbated by the specific operating environment, and
* the prescribing medical practitioner or DAME has determined there are no adverse drug reactions from the antibiotic which has been prescribed. This would normally involve a short (approximately 48 hour) ground trial or previous use of the same antibiotic.

Incidentally, doesn't your DAME answer phone questions without billing you?

gingernut
16th Jul 2014, 21:15
Seem to remember reading somewhere that 40% of those taking amoxicillin get the trots.

cavortingcheetah
16th Jul 2014, 22:27
A decent probiotic and some natural yoghurt to encourage intestinal bacterial growth should take care of that little irritating phenomenon.