PDA

View Full Version : ICAO ATP to EASA ATP

Dude1
14th Jul 2014, 13:00
I was wondering if anyone has gone through this experience recently and how was the experience ? Looking for some clarification towards the process of converting ?

What are the requirements?

For those that have how did you go about it ?

And what sort of experience did you have prior to embarking on the aforementioned course ?

Tasmaniac
26th Jul 2014, 18:37
Hi Dude,

Doing the same myself. After much discussion with CAA and EASA, finally accepted the need to do the following.

1. Class 1 medical
2. Resit and pass ALL 14 ATPL theory subjects (no exceptions)
3. CPL skills test
4. IR skills test
5. Type-rating (to get the ATPL), unless you already are holding a valid type-rating on your ICAO ATPL.

Not the news you wanna hear..... but that's the deal. Gone are the days when we could convert to JAR ATPL just by sitting Air Law.

One option you may want to pursue. Get your ICAO licence 'validated' for 12 months. That gives you all the privileges of a simple EASA ATPL (but not any additional qualifications such as FI, IRE, etc). That way you can still fly as a straight line pilot and earning a living in EASA-land, while you are studying for the EASA exams. This can be renewed for an additional 12 months, but no more after that.

Dude1
27th Jul 2014, 14:00
Thanks Tas for responding , similar to what I have looked up on their CAA website . The only thing I was not sure about was the approved ground school , is it mandatory if we are already have an ICAO ATP ?

Tasmaniac
29th Jul 2014, 07:14
HT discretion on the amount of training required prior to undertaking the EASA ATPL exams. Really depends on whether or not you feel confident and capable of passing without additional tutoring or not.

Some of the subjects should be second nature such as IFR/VFR Comms, HPL, etc. But some of them can be quite tricky - MET and Air Law for example. If you don't have the time to do face-to-face revision, check out the online stuff from Bristol Ground School and start hitting the question bank to see where you are capable of succeeding and where you need additional help.

Dude1
29th Jul 2014, 20:00
Thanks Tas

I appreciate the info