PDA

View Full Version : Dave to announce details of £1.1bn defence spending

Heathrow Harry
14th Jul 2014, 07:54
BBC News - PM to announce details of £1.1bn defence spending (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28289331)

Well not really - just they can keep the 2012/13 year underspend

Sounds like they'll use some of it to keep Sentinel in business for a couple more years

To me it reeks of

"for Gods sake I'm at Farnborough next week and I have to say SOMETHING...."

MRAF
14th Jul 2014, 08:04
We'll see...

Hopefully some more interesting news... If it was just underspend, then perhaps they would just have rolled out Hammond.

Sandy Parts
14th Jul 2014, 08:29
Does the MoD/RN really need a full-time 'ice maiden' (HMS Protector) - there's an ideal candidate for contracting-out I'd have thought? From 'her' website "FACT - HMS Protector is the Royal Navy’s ‘Swiss ArmyKnife’ – red, versatile, and always there when you need her" really? :rolleyes:

Rakshasa
14th Jul 2014, 08:55
Apparently yes. I asked a matelot about this when NERC announced its new Ice Breaker for BAS a few months ago. BAS already has a couple of it's own breakers on charter, so it would otherwise be no problem for them to take over Protector. But it seems the RN have a few important responsibilities down there they can't hand over to the civvies. Don't ask me to list them though, I wasn't that curious.

Party Animal
14th Jul 2014, 09:03
800 mil for an ISTAR package huh. That could lease a very nice MMA/MPA capability over the next decade.

WH904
14th Jul 2014, 12:03
You get the feeling that a fleet of P-8s is becoming almost inevitable. Suppose we're obliged to avoid mentioning Nimrod now ;)

Biggus
14th Jul 2014, 14:15
If you actually listen to what the PM says, you will see he partially breaks down what the £800M on ISTAR is for. He specifically mentions running on Shadow and Sentinel, but there is no mention of a new asset (such as an MMA/MPA).

Sandy Parts
14th Jul 2014, 14:24
agree with Biggus. All looks allocated to me. I still think MMA/'son-of-Nimrod' is just too politically hot for any news before the next election. Would hope it may feature in manifestos for that event (but suspect not). C'est la vie.

Heathrow Harry
14th Jul 2014, 14:39
he's probably waiting until he gets a new Defence Secretary in place - rumours of reshuffle today or tomorrow

oldspool
14th Jul 2014, 16:08
The reference to Sentinel and Shadow was that they could now run until at least 2018.

In the past few weeks Dunne and Hammond, when asked about MPA (the gap and any forthcoming order) have spoken about platforms that offer flexibility rather than ones dedicated to a particular mission. For me, This makes today's statement (which talked about increasing the range and flexibility of ISTAR) all the more interesting.

smujsmith
14th Jul 2014, 19:10
Whatever way you read it, Camoron has just announced that he is re arranging the deck chairs. No new money, just changing the spending priority.

Smudge:ok:

Jimlad1
14th Jul 2014, 19:25
No chance of an MMA announcement pre-SDSR - this sort of thing is too political and I sense it will be used as a 'good news' story to hide a multitude of 'bad news' stories that will emerge in the SDSR.

NutLoose
14th Jul 2014, 22:57
'You can no longer defend the realm from the White Cliffs of Dover': Cameron unveils £1bn budget boost for secret services to fight Britain's 'unseen enemies

One could argue that before they chopped the MPA fleet would could actually defend it a bit further out than the white cliffs, and against unseen enemies below the surface.

Wensleydale
15th Jul 2014, 07:01
Perhaps if the maritime brigade obtained sponsorship for a new aeroplane? Manchester United have just got £750m to allow a company to write on their shirts so a small commercial badge on the MPA crews' flying suits should fund it. Anybody got suggestions for a suitable company? (Ginster's Pies).

oldspool
15th Jul 2014, 09:53
As I was saying...

UK to extend Sentinel surveillance program with Raytheon support (http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0FJ1SF20140714?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=innovationNewsTechMediaTelco&rpc=401&irpc=932)