PDA

View Full Version : How many hours? 200? 500? 800? 1000?

RickPhucked
21st Nov 2001, 01:37
Upon completion of ATPL course 'such as the jerez deal' how many hours do end up with?
Im getting the impression around 200 or similar. Am I completely wrong?
If i am right, how do you get the 1000 hours for a turboprop job at british european for instance, do you have to fly with logonair or similar on the shorts to build up the hours.
Can some explain.
Thanks

Eff Oh
21st Nov 2001, 14:28
Hi Rick.
As you thought you get 200hrs from an "approved corse" such as Jerez. As for that first job......Well thats harder to answer!! I had 250hrs when I got my first turboprop job on a Saab 340. Lots of people got jobs on my course with 200hrs. I am not saying that is normal!! I then got a job on a B757 with 900hrs. So if you think about it I wouldnt have had enough hours for the Dash-8! :o
Eff Oh.

foghorn
21st Nov 2001, 15:41
- Get an FI rating and instruct.
- Go back to your old non-aviation job and try to earn enough money to keep current.
- Buy a Shed type rating.
- Tow gliders.
- Fly for an air taxi outfit.
- Find an aerial photography job.

(In rough order of popularity)

Basically do anything that keeps your head above water and keeps the hours tally going upwards.

In a good job market (before 11-SEP) it is not easy but by no means unheard of for a low-timer to get an airline job straight away.

In this marketplace with so many pilots with airline experience on the dole, low-timers are just not getting a look in. Being an unemployed low-time (f)ATPL myself, I can vouch for that.

It's never been easy out there but it's bloody difficult at the moment. It's all about market economics - even in the good times there are more qualified pilots than airline jobs available so it's always a buyers market.

Keep your chin up mate, but do go in with your eyes open. Getting the licence is just the first hurdle.
foggy.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]