PDA

View Full Version : What effect will Marijuana Use on CASA AvMed Record have?

PropInBeta
12th Jul 2014, 02:35
Hi,

I disclosed in a Class 1 Medical Exam that when I was 16 I tried marijuana. Having completed my MECIR and gone through multiple negative drug tests since disclosing this information, I am now concerned about what effect this will have on future applications to Airlines in Australia. I am currently 23 and will be at least 26 when I will be qualified to start applying for an airline job.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Adsie
12th Jul 2014, 23:50
Well - if you completed your MECIR on a negative drug test you should be fine then.

Watch this space

wotajoke
13th Jul 2014, 00:34
Propinbeta,

Not withstanding that this will come across as a negative rant, it is not my intention......however, under no circumstances EVER should you admit to anything that may, or in your case will, be interpreted as a negative on your medical. The CASA medical division is inept and grossly bureaucratic. They will impede your ability to make money at a whim which will impact your life and those you support. The answer is always NO. You don't drink, you don't smoke, you exercise relentlessly, you've never done drugs, no family history of anything that causes death (in fact you great great great great great grandparents are still alive and living on the Gold Coast). Give them nothing......BUT always go to a DAME that will give you a good check up. ALWAYS ask for additional testing on the blood work (you may as well). And if there's anything that's bothering you medically go see a different GP not your DAME. Protect your ability to work with great care at all costs.

:ok:

wishiwasupthere
13th Jul 2014, 00:49
Unless you were caught by the cops and there is a written record of it, I don't know why you would disclose it (I'm talking about youthful experimentation, not if you're a closet junkie by night and flying by day).

bankrunner
13th Jul 2014, 02:20
Juvenile convictions for minor offences go away after 5 years as far as criminal background checks are concerned. So even if you were caught with cannabis by the wallopers when you were 16, CASA and your future employer aren't ever going to know about it unless you tell them.

truthinbeer
13th Jul 2014, 02:50
Politician Malcolm Turnbull has admitted to smoking as has President Obama (aka."Barry Soetoro"). The important observation being that like them you did not enjoy the experience. ;)

I don't think it will be an issue if you don't mention it again.

Sunfish
13th Jul 2014, 06:55
Bankrunner:

Juvenile convictions for minor offences go away after 5 years as far as criminal background checks are concerned. So even if you were caught with cannabis by the wallopers when you were 16, CASA and your future employer aren't ever going to know about it unless you tell them.

But if you are caught doing something else and convicted, the judge is going to have your complete teenage record right in front of him and will take it into account in sentencing. Furthermore the law may change.

I have lost count of the number of confused teenagers who believe they can do what they like till age sixteen and then have the slate washed clean.

Any reference to drug use or medically related matters will "quite rightly" be a complete negative in ANY application for ANYTHING when there is competition from people who aver that they have never abused any substance, never been depressed, never over indulged in Alcohol, etc.

To put that another way, the concept of using "lie scores" (eg do you masturbate?) has not percolated into bureaucracy. What you write is what you are. A reference to marijuana use at any age tags you as a drug user on the same plane as a regular heroin consumer.

sms777
13th Jul 2014, 09:20
Hey Dude!......Tell them nothing they will know nothing. You are 23 and had no problems since 16, forget it . It's all in the past. Don't ever mention it again. You will be right!.....:ok: