PDA

View Full Version : Instructors seminar where?

samf
11th Jul 2014, 15:59
After 24 years flying airlines, I retired. But I have now decided to bring my old FI(A) license back to life, and the flying needed is already done.
So in order to be allowed to use the license, I just need the "instructors seminar" - ASAP...
SO - I am looking for anywhere in Europe, where I can attend this 2-day seminar to "get the stamp"...? Preferably at a major airport, like Schipol, Heathrow, Frankfurt or likewise?
Anyone here knows where I can find a course? I have been looking at some countries Civil Av. pages, but unable to locate that information...?

Whopity
11th Jul 2014, 21:25
For UK

Instructor Seminars (http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=392&Itemid=717)

Flying Training|Instructor|Examiner|Formation|CPL|Aerobatics (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/fi-iri-seminars.html)

Instructor & Examiner Refresher Seminars (http://pooleysfis.com/en/Instructor_Seminars)

samf
11th Jul 2014, 21:50
thanks - those are possible, although not at the major airport - but not too far from Heathrow, as far as I can see...
Any other possibilities? What about Amsterdam, or Oslo/Stockholm? Hamburg? Just trying to find the most convenient one.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jul 2014, 23:44
Major airports are expensive places to do anything - it's not very surprising that nobody is organising instructors seminars at them.

The AOPA courses at High Wycombe would be about 35 minutes by taxi or hire car from LHR. I went on the last one and quite enjoyed it, although very "old school".

Wellesbourne airfield (On-Track) is about the same from Birmingham airport. I've not done one of their courses, but have heard nothing but praise for them.

G

samf
12th Jul 2014, 07:57
I understand - good information, thank You.

cavortingcheetah
12th Jul 2014, 09:20
There is a rumour, a real one this time, that there exists a woman, who is a very good and knowledgeable pilot and instructor, who is prepared to share helpful information on such matters. I don't think she served in the RAF, perhaps the "Fleet"? The whisper has it that she keeps up to speed with what's going on.

Andrewsfield Aviation (http://www.andrewsfield.com)

It's near Stansted, not that I would call that place a major airport though.

Here's something else......

http://www.andrewsfield.com/examiner-seminar/

portsharbourflyer
12th Jul 2014, 10:37
Having used CC for one of my previous renewal, I can only speak very highly of her; however she is an FI(E), so while she could do the renewal test, the seminar on the Andrewfield website is an examiners seminar not an Instructor renewal seminar. So I not sure that Andrewsfield can actually offer an FI refresher seminar.

The On track seminar was a far better than the AOPA one at Wycombe.

But most of the time you really just have to pick the one that suits your schedule.

PPRuNeUser0173
12th Jul 2014, 13:58
I have done On Track and AOPA but On Track was by far the best..........

tttoon
12th Jul 2014, 22:22
CAE Brussels is organising one Sept. 1&2, pending enough interest.

BEagle
14th Jul 2014, 07:02
Golfdriver wrote: I have done On Track and AOPA but On Track was by far the best..........

Any particular reason for that?

mad_jock
14th Jul 2014, 08:35
The feed back I had before plumping for ontrack was it wasn't as dry as AOPA.

On the day they had the usual suspects about from on track and a few others, the dry as hell subjects were mixed in with some good presentations from industry type people including a presentation from a mil Doctor about aviation medicine and what they were looking for in the medical which was quite amusing and informative.

Also the group discussions were relevant and entertaining.

I think its mostly some thought about the content and how the intermix it, and also the delivery of it.

It is quite widely reported that by the first day lunch some are sticking pens up there nose and saying wibble at the AOPA seminar due to having spent the last 4 hours listening about licensing regs. The will to live was lost after 30mins when they started talking about SLMG and other such gliding things.

PPRuNeUser0173
14th Jul 2014, 16:33
Generally less dry plus I found the syndicate presentations fun and interesting. The AOPA venue in London was not as good also.

BEagle
16th Jul 2014, 05:56
Golfdriver, I remember that less-than-desirable London location, having had to trudge through the rain from some inconvenient tube station with my briefcase....:( They use a site at Booker aerodrome now though.

The first FI seminar I attended was run by the 3rd organisation, which no longer trades. Some good briefs, one abysmal one and the syndicate exercises were fine - except that some shrinking violets wouldn't get involved. Whereas I gather that AOPA sets individual exercises to everyone in advance, but picks names out of the hat on the day?

Sitting in syndicate groups around a table rather than in 'lecture room' seating style - is that preferable?

Duchess_Driver
20th Jul 2014, 09:57
Perhaps the one thing I did learn is that many middle aged males are happiest when participating in an ego-enhancing bunfight that produces very little in the way of a useful result.

You've only just realised...??? ;)

mad_jock
20th Jul 2014, 10:45
I agree B61 with a 10 hour rolling yearly min currency. Then a CBT package every three years on the changes in licensing etc. Test every 6 years.