PDA

View Full Version : PPl/ATPL course material

ShamrockF
11th Jul 2014, 14:02
I'm considering going for the ab-initio ATPL next year. I'm thinking about buying the PPL training material now to get started on the theory end of it.

Would it be worthwhile buying some ATPL study material too? Are the courses similar or quite different? Or, am I just being too optimistic, would I just overwhelm myself with information?

Thanks

OhNoCB
11th Jul 2014, 14:25
PPL theory could give you a good basis for the ATPL learning at a later date.

I would not recommend trying to start ATPL theory, because I think it helps to have a core understanding first and to have some flight experience. Others may disagree.

flajko
12th Jul 2014, 09:06
I agree. PPL materials are much simpler and more suitable for beginners. It is also good to take a look at some ppl material just so you will have some general idea what is waithing for you when you start training. You dont need to study anything in advance, the syllabuss is made for pepole with no previous knowledge(except of course basic knowledge in math&physics wich will be tested on entry exam), but it is much easyer to understand classes if you already have some basic big picture in your head.
I personaly went strait to ATPL course nine years after finishing technical high school(so you can imagine that I forgot a lot) and reading manual for MS Flight sim(for playing purposes) and had no problem understanding anything.
Keep in mind that understanding plays only small part in passing exams. Be prepared to study a lot.
Also search online for free ppl and atpl materials ;)

Hope I helped & good luck with your training!

ShamrockF
14th Jul 2014, 14:31
Thank you for all your tips!