PDA

View Full Version : My CAA Gatwick Experience (After My Huge Cock Up)

eugegall
11th Jul 2014, 10:29
After pumping out 12 hours in February to make sure I revalidate. I sent off the paperwork and 6 weeks passed without hearing back.

Called them to realise that although my type rating was valid through experience my actual licence expired in 2013.

I actually called them when I revalidated in 2012 to be told that the whole time i was revalidating it then automatically adds another 5 years onto the licence. Its when I don't revalidate that it then becomes expired after 5 years.

I have been speaking with John from the CAA over the past few months who was great.

I'd still not converted my JAR licence to a EASA one yet and the stories about confusing paperwork and long waits was really concerning me.

Went in this morning with my SRG1102, SRG1104, Radio proficiency form, certified copies of medical and rating.

Arrived at about 8am, was number 6 in the queue. The nice lady got to me at around 8:30am. Took my paperwork and came out with John whom i had been dealing with. He came out to personally apologise for the misunderstanding and to put a face to the name which I thought was a really nice touch. I couldn't believe how understanding he was considering that ultimately it was my fault and responsibility, not theirs.

25 minutes later i walked out with a converted, brand new, current licence. I didn't even need to touch a pen. haha

Incredible service and all for only £73.

I know they receive a huge amount of crap from people but for me they were brilliant. Big thumbs up.

kevkdg
11th Jul 2014, 15:30
Wonder how many weeks would have passed before they called you or wrote to let you know there was an issue?

eugegall
11th Jul 2014, 15:48
I asked this question and apparently they wouldn't have contacted me. So never is the answer.

Its not a problem now I have a lifetime licence but the thing that annoys me is that the DVLA manage to send out tax reminders for over 30 million cars each year without fail.

Yet the CAA can't send licence renewal letters to the 20k or so UK PPL pilots that are out there.

Very unprofessional and very, very annoying.

Sir George Cayley
11th Jul 2014, 20:41
er what happened to you between 11.29 and 16.48?

SGC

eugegall
11th Jul 2014, 21:21
What do you mean?

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Jul 2014, 22:20
I suspect SGC might be wondering why the CAA went from "incredible" and "brilliant" to "unprofessional" and "very annoying" in the space of 5 and a bit hours.

worldpilot
11th Jul 2014, 22:36
Its not a problem now I have a lifetime licence...

As depicted above, he has a lifetime licence and hence the mood can change, depending on the communication context.:eek:

WP

kevkdg
11th Jul 2014, 22:38
I also wonder how many weeks would have passed before they called you or wrote to let you know there was an issue with your application, as you say you called them after 6 weeks, not that they called you!

fa2fi
11th Jul 2014, 22:49
I've found them very helpful over the last year both licensing and medical. They're obviously trying to do something to improve their service and quite right too.