PDA

View Full Version : Whats a QF sim ride worth per hour?

AirBumps
10th Jul 2014, 22:18
Hey guys,

I attended a charity auction some time ago and bid an extraordinary amount of money on a 2 hour QF Sim ride out at Melbourne. Alcohol may have played a part.

I've never actually seen one advertised for sale so have no idea if there is a "retail value" for such a thing but the fine people at the ATO tell me I can claim a deduction for what I paid above the "retail value"

Anybody know what they go out at? It's 2 hours in the 738 sim.

Cheers,
AB

Keg
10th Jul 2014, 22:29
This website (https://www.qantasshop.com.au/product-378-New__Flight_Simulator_Experience) suggests a two hour experience is worth $1499.

AirBumps
10th Jul 2014, 22:37
Thanks Keg. Much appreciated!

10th Jul 2014, 23:28
In 1980, 2 beers at a local pub

500N
10th Jul 2014, 23:33
One located in Melbourne as well, Western suburbs (near the airport but not Tulla) can't think of the name but am sure Google will turn it up.

Was looking at it 2 weeks ago.

Captain Gidday
10th Jul 2014, 23:57
You can do my next one for free instead of me if you like.

AirBumps
11th Jul 2014, 00:40
One located in Melbourne as well, Western suburbs (near the airport but not Tulla) can't think of the name but am sure Google will turn it up.

Was looking at it 2 weeks ago. Yeah that's the one I've got - out in Airport West. I forked out well above the $1499 for it, but it was for a bloody good cause so I've got no qualms with that. Just want to make sure I can claim the tax for the right amount.

More than happy to. You just might have some problems with ongoing employment afterwards

Trevor the lover
11th Jul 2014, 02:56
CAPTAIN GDAY

Apart from Will Anderson's and Adam Spencer's joke about Delta, Philipousis and Paris, that is the best Ive ever heard. Maybe not so to others, but hit my funny bone directly.

The Delta joke? Well I'd have to PM you that one

ALAEA Fed Sec
11th Jul 2014, 04:06
The 738 sim at Airport West is $250 per hour with a 40% discount for ALAEA members.

blueloo
11th Jul 2014, 04:18
The 738 sim at Airport West is $250 per hour with a 40% discount for ALAEA members.

Is that what QANTAS charges you to service it? :E

nitpicker330
11th Jul 2014, 07:16
The QF 738 sim only $250 hr before 40% off??? Even if that's after discount it's still way too cheap.....sorry Fed Sec but that's a ridiculous price....

El cheapo Sims at Moorabbin are that price!! MFS synthetic flight trainer is $250 hr

Must be a fixed base ( no motion ) price?

vee1-rotate
11th Jul 2014, 08:23

You should clarify your post.

That is for the fixed motion "toy" sim on Keilor Rd, Niddrie. Basically a retail, Flight Experience clone. Not the full motion QF sims in the training centre on Matthews Ave.

Captain Gidday
11th Jul 2014, 08:36
The Delta joke? Well I'd have to PM you that one

Oh, come on now. Talking about a fuel guzzling old technology aircraft with slats would be perfectly acceptable on this forum.

AirBumps
11th Jul 2014, 09:30
The 738 sim at Airport West is $250 per hour with a 40% discount for ALAEA members.I'm guessing your talking about one of those cheap fixed based flight experience type things.

Still, if it was that cheap I'd be in for a hell of a better refund!

Arnold E
11th Jul 2014, 09:37
Whats a QF sim ride worth per hour?

Are you talking about how much it is worth, or how much it costs, two different things.

airdualbleedfault
12th Jul 2014, 01:14
Most sims I've had anything to do with retail (to operators) at around 6-700/hr.
If you are doing an endorsement off your own bat this seems to rocket up to well over $1000 an hour (based on 10 sessions shared with another victim at $35k)

And Trev, agree, that was very funny as was airbumps reply :ok:

Tee Emm
12th Jul 2014, 07:40
To clarify what is available. There are two major Level D Boeing 737 full flight simulators (meaning they have six axis of motion) in the Melbourne area. While these are primarily for airline pilot type rating, command instrument rating tests and recurrent training, both are often used for flight experience trips. One is at the Qantas Flight Simulator complex in Matthews Avenue opposite Essendon Airport which is part of the suburb Airport West. The second is Ansett Aviation Training in Garden Drive, suburb of Tullamarine, off Mickleham Road.

There are other flight experience synthetic ground trainers around which are mock-ups of the 737 NG. These do not have motion. One is in Bourke Street in the CBD and another in Keilor Rd, Niddrie near the junction of Matthews Avenue and Keilor Rd. There may be others of similar design and situated at Moorabbin? Obviously the price for an hour flight experience varies, depending how realistic you want and on which devices you can afford.

Hugh Jarse
12th Jul 2014, 09:15
It depends on the customer relationship you hold with Qantas.

In 2004, the 747-200 sim was charged out at around $120 per hour for pilot recruiting to its subsidiaries (peppercorn rate). As was the 767-200 and 300 sims in later years.

I ran a few workmates through the Cathay sim profile in the 747-200 privately, and was charged $150 per hour, but I was staff. Same went for the 767-300 configured for the Virgin (sic) profile.

Typically, the internal running cost to the company for the newer sims is around $600 per hour.

On top of that you will pay the cost of the instructor, plus whatever their margin on the sim is.

Hope this helps.

Jack Ranga
12th Jul 2014, 09:21

More than happy to. You just might have some problems with ongoing employment afterwards.

Bumps has landed at Tulla in the middle of the night, should be able to pull it off :E

airdualbleedfault
12th Jul 2014, 09:27
Never heard of QF sims being used for flight experience type stuff, and there is no way a level D sim would be charged out to the public at flight experience rates (circa 300/hr).
I have heard of QF sims being used for fear of flying courses tho, totally different thing.

Keg
12th Jul 2014, 12:57
Qantas take Paltinum One Frequent Flyers through the sims on 'flight experience' tours on a semi regular basis. You can purchase them with either frequent flyer points or cash. It's been a semi regular thing over the last few years.

They even have their own briefing room with surplus J class seats, proper coffee, nicely painted walls, etc. I joked with one of the guys who runs the sessions that for the real experience they should take them upstairs and run them through the crappy briefing rooms, old and tattered chairs, whiteboards, and ubiquitous coffee room with pilots lounging around.

AirBumps
12th Jul 2014, 21:04
Bumps has landed at Tulla in the middle of the night, should be able to pull it off :E
Landing was the easy bit, it was keeping up with the bloke driving the follow me van that had me buggered. It didn't help that he somehow managed to get himself lost on his way to the freight apron! :eek:

Oh, that and the fact the bloke in the RHS spent the entire time trying to chat up the bird who drove the mini van out to collect us! Thought we'd be leaving with one less passenger than we arrived :E.

Jack Ranga
12th Jul 2014, 22:45
I was just asking her some questions about the airport :=

AirBumps
12th Jul 2014, 22:53
Like how it must get lonely working the 1200-0600 shift on a Tuesday?? :E:}

Trevor the lover
12th Jul 2014, 23:16
Hey Captain Gidday - mate you are truly a genius. Only you and I understand your coded reference there I'm sure, but yes you are spot on. Got it in one - I cant believe it. Yes, the best line ever on radio.

Interestingly, two mornings ago Will Anderson sat down at a booth in a brekky joint in LA next to me. I couldn't resist. I asked him about that line, he laughed, remembered it and said it was in no way scripted (nothing was), it was straight off the top of Adam Spencer's head. And I still have the egg on my head from my fall off the bench at the time destroying myself with laughter.

Jack Ranga
13th Jul 2014, 01:53
Does Will Anderson have a normal voice or is the constant yelling, screaming & swearing the real him?

Hempy
13th Jul 2014, 03:00

More than happy to. You just might have some problems with ongoing employment afterwards.

Ah yes, but was it a 34 visual?? :E

AirBumps
13th Jul 2014, 04:07
Was 27 visual actually... And it took the 182 a long time to roll out to the first taxiway... Much the the annoyance of the 737 waiting to take off. Poor bustard was probably burning more fuel a minute than I burnt in an hour... :E:E

Jack Ranga
13th Jul 2014, 08:47
A 15 mile final allowing the instructor to demo an ILS :E none of this 3 mile final crap :=

Bumps, I doubt the 737 driver saw you or even knew you were there :E

nomorecatering
13th Jul 2014, 10:01
I was told by a simulator technician that the prices charged are quite arbitrary in nature, as the sims are never turned off. They sit there humming away 24/7, when in use they burn a few more kw/h of electricity.

InSoMnIaC
13th Jul 2014, 10:20
It doesnt mean the prices are arbitrary. They still have to pay for that 24/7 humming away. I bet having motion on takes a toll on the parts aswell

AirBumps
13th Jul 2014, 10:47
A 15 mile final allowing the instructor to demo an ILS :E none of this 3 mile final crap :=

Bumps, I doubt the 737 driver saw you or even knew you were there :EWhen you're paying a $168 to land a single you want to get your moneys worth. If that means a 15 mile final and a demo of the high intensity landing lights then so be it! :ok::ok::ok:

triton140
13th Jul 2014, 11:57
Qantas take Paltinum One Frequent Flyers through the sims on 'flight experience' tours on a semi regular basis. You can purchase them with either frequent flyer points or cash. It's been a semi regular thing over the last few years.

Actually, it's free* for Platinum One frequent flyers - so far I've had 2 hours in the Essendon 737 and the same in the 747 at Mascot.

* OK, there's no such thing as a free lunch, lots of flight dollars went towards the P1 status, sadly now lost with retirement kicking in.

Jack Ranga
13th Jul 2014, 12:06
Bumps, it was $268 wasn't it??

AirBumps
13th Jul 2014, 22:01
Bumps, it was $268 wasn't it?? Might have been - damn that's expensive! Still, someone had to pay for that fancy new control tower :E

iDanoo
14th Jul 2014, 00:27
Ah Kai Tak would've been fun! Even the CAT III ILS with a DH of 20' would be awesome to see first hand.

nitpicker330
14th Jul 2014, 04:26
Sounded like you had a good time.
I'm pretty sure Singapore hasn't ever had CAT3B, CAT 2 is all.

Apart from that good story.

Keg
14th Jul 2014, 05:10
What? Where?

It's downstairs. As you walk in the side entrance near the security gates it's about 30m down on the left. Frosted glass, plasma TV, etc.

Hempy
14th Jul 2014, 05:32

DH on 02L is 100', on 20R it's 200'. The 20' DH was no doubt 'simulated'!!

parabellum
14th Jul 2014, 05:48

I left Singapore in 2001 and I would have sworn that they had Cat III then?:confused:

Pearly White
14th Jul 2014, 08:15
Originally Posted by nitpicker330 View Post

DH on 02L is 100', on 20R it's 200'. The 20' DH was no doubt 'simulated'!!
Last time I looked the altimeter reads about 50 feet as the MLG makes contact. 20' DH must be for the scale model 744.

Blueskymine
14th Jul 2014, 08:24
Singapore has a cat II approach available for 20/02C. There wouldn't be a need for a cat III as the wx is tropical in nature with heavy rain being the biggest obstacle to landing.

Keg
14th Jul 2014, 12:05
Indon fires are consistently worse vis at precisely this time of year than any rain I'd consider landing in at SIN. When vis is under 1000m in SIN due to precipitation it's normally due to a TS over the field and that's reason enough to simply put off making an approach.