PDA

View Full Version : Home for old uniforms?

nipva
10th Jul 2014, 16:16
I am finally getting round to disposing of my old uniforms but it seems a shame to consign them to the textile bin at the local dump so does anyone know of any other outlet? I have the usual Mess kit, No 1 and No 6.

goudie
10th Jul 2014, 16:27
There are stage props companies, who would be pleased to take them off you

Wrathmonk
10th Jul 2014, 16:36
Try the local theatres direct (particularly ones that are home to the local Amateur Dramatics groups).

If it is more 'field' or 'day to day' kit then the local ATC Squadron may take it off your hands.

To raise some cash (perhaps to donate to a suitable charity if you don't need/want the cash) try listing them on E b a y or Gumtree - particularly if you are of a larger size and someone currently serving needs to replace their uniform after it 'shrank at the cleaners'. May also find local re-enactors (or walts) willing to part with good cash for them as well....

bobward
11th Jul 2014, 08:42
Mrs W and I went to a hanger dance recently. The place was full of people in different sorts of uniforms, most hired from local sources. However, seeing an airman wearing aircrew wings, with another person wearing ATC No 1 uniform and RAF Officers hat was a little bizarre....;)

Whenurhappy
11th Jul 2014, 09:12
I'm looking for another No 1 and No 5 - and Tropical number 6 if possible - 42-44" chest, 34-36 inch waist. I'll happily give donation to RAF BF or similar...

vascodegama
11th Jul 2014, 11:53
Whenurhappy

Check PMs

Danny42C
11th Jul 2014, 13:34
Used to be a very fine firm, called Bedfords of Newark, which bought up old kit (in good nick), and sold them to impecunious junior officers (was there ever another kind ?).

Don't suppose it's still in business, but someone else may be in the same line. Worth a look round.

(Second thought): Business opportunity for recently retired looking to augment Pension ?

D.

Roadster280
11th Jul 2014, 13:44
A few "when I" stories:

When I was in Germany, I was issued CS95

When I was at a training regiment Pt1 Orders stated "All Permanent Staff are to report to Clothing Stores for issue of CS95"

When I called my SSM "Sir, I already have CS95" he said "Just f***ing follow the order and get it issued"

When I turned up to be issued CS95, I was wearing CS95.

When I left and dekitted, all the storeman wanted was my green plastic mug & helmet.

When I got divorced and moved to the US, my ex-wife boxed up all my mil kit and sent it to me.

So now I am (and have been for 9 yrs) in the US with enough combat kit (CS95 & earlier) to issue a cadet unit all by myself. Enough boots for a centipede, and more berets & hats than I have place to put them.

I keep thinking I'll take it to an Army & Navy store, of which there are a couple round here, but I'm fearful of being laughed out the door!

Always a Sapper
11th Jul 2014, 15:21
Roadster280

I know the feeling, one day I will drag the attic out and open an Army/Navy store.

The stores 'person' at Bzn didnt even want the Plastic Mug or Helmet when I bailed out a few years ago, he just put his mug down, signed the sheet and then picked up his brew and carried on as he was :D

Simplythebeast
11th Jul 2014, 15:28
I received a letter from Stafford in 1976 advising me that I had not handed in my greatcoat on leaving the Service three months previously. I was asked to pay for it or return it to RAF Catterick. The storeman at Catterick thought I was joking when I turned up and handed it in.

BEagle
11th Jul 2014, 15:45
Joe l'Estrange once told me that he'd had a clear out of old/redundant kit and took it back to clothing stores....

When he handed over his Sidcot Suit, the young lad in stores recoiled in alarm, as though he'd just been attacked by a woolly bear. "Whatever is that thing, Sir?", he asked. "A flying suit", Joe replied, "Can I have a new one please?":E

FantomZorbin
11th Jul 2014, 16:05
Aah, Ernie Bedford. When an impecunious FZ graced his emporium there was a KD RAF uniform in the window ... complete with pith helmet! (The shorts were of the "Bluebottle" variety):eek:

Wander00
11th Jul 2014, 16:23
FZ, happy memories.......................

teeteringhead
11th Jul 2014, 18:52
My 1969 acquired Ernie Bedford No 5 was only replaced in 1999 - the jacket that is - several replacement trou in that time.

And the label said R E City 1959 (forget the name in it), so that's 40 years of hard (drinking) wear. Still in the attic of Teetering Towers somewhere - when I shrink as much as it did :rolleyes: I may even wear it again - for auld lang syne! :ok:

[Now there's a target for RAF 100!]

MPN11
11th Jul 2014, 19:00
BEagle .. how very Joe :ok:

Now there is an outfit who advertise for old uniforms in the Forces Pension Society magazine. Annoyingly, I passed my copy on to BIL yesterday ... I'm sure someone here still has the info.

One thing is for sure, our uniforms are not going to be worn on the street by some yooof who thinks it's cool.

GeeRam
11th Jul 2014, 20:04
Joe l'Estrange once told me that he'd had a clear out of old/redundant kit and took it back to clothing stores....

When he handed over his Sidcot Suit, the young lad in stores recoiled in alarm, as though he'd just been attacked by a woolly bear. "Whatever is that thing, Sir?", he asked. "A flying suit", Joe replied, "Can I have a new one please?

Sidcots in good nick are worth £200-300 these days.

A friend of mine found a mint ex-Wg Cdr's Gieves & Hawkes made, Jan 1940 dated No1 with spare trousers in a charity shop some 15+ years ago.....

Had horrible thought of it being handed in by people clearing out the effects of the old boy without any thought of what it was.....so bought it with the intention of adding some other BofB period flying kit and dressing a mannequin with it.
It's beautifully made - with that lovely old full cut etc. Never did get around to completing the kit with B-Type helmet, mask etc and dressing a mannequin.
Uniform is still in a suit cover in the wardrobe though.

goudie
11th Jul 2014, 20:19
However, seeing an airman wearing aircrew wings, with another person wearing ATC No 1 uniform and RAF Officers hat was a little bizarre....;)

Reminds me of the student, on University Challenge a few ago, who wore an awful mix of RAF uniform.
Certainly exercised the indignation (including mine) of a few PPRuNers

big v
11th Jul 2014, 20:49
I gave all that stuff except my no1, no 5 and SD cap to the local air cadets. They were delighted.

V

NutLoose
11th Jul 2014, 22:55
Roadster280
The stores 'person' at Bzn didnt even want the Plastic Mug or Helmet when I bailed out a few years ago, he just put his mug down, signed the sheet and then picked up his brew and carried on as he was

They gave me the whole sodding lot to hump home bar my gas mask ( one can say that now) and tin hat..
Another guy leaving from the same section, they wanted the uniform he was wearing, pointing out he had sent his Civi's home they took his tie, jumper and beret..... Walking up the road he got the where is your beret.... Reply was needless to say a bit short...

nipva
12th Jul 2014, 11:26
Thanks for the various inputs. For the benefit of others who may have the same problem, I am in touch with Cetomilitaria who deal in second-hand uniforms and will buy such.

Pontius Navigator
12th Jul 2014, 13:00
Remember the TV series Howard's Way?

The lad on that wore Mk 3 CW Jacket.

Also seen an NBC suit as a family fashion item.

Rakshasa
12th Jul 2014, 21:59
Friend of mine is working for a UK video game company that's making a new Alien game and 20th Century Fox released all the old production archive to them for reference. He was mildly surprised to discover the crew uniforms were chopped about Brit flying kit. John Hurt's Mk.3 CW jacket even still had the name of a 'Lt. R Smith' in the back.

NutLoose
13th Jul 2014, 12:06
So they are, I never realised lol... So cold bums in space too

Piccie

File:Alien (1979) - main cast.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alien_(1979)_-_main_cast.jpg)

stickmonkeytamer
13th Jul 2014, 21:04
I managed to keep my Airman Number 1s when they finally beat a Commission into me (it took 2 attempts, 2 years apart). I wore it as one of the Pallbearers to Princess Diana's coffin in Paris. It's got sentimental value, but I don't know if a museum would be interested in it (or some rich American!)... I've even got a video from Sky TV of the coverage as provenance (but no video machine to play it on).

SMT

Courtney Mil
13th Jul 2014, 22:48
Dad's old Sidcot has been used for: my flying scholarship PPL, various air shows (just for fun) , parties various and, now, general cleaning duties.