PDA

View Full Version : Chartair for Sale

Fujiroll76
10th Jul 2014, 10:26
Rumour has it shaft air is for sale! Is this the next one to call it a day or is Mr Leech cutting his losses before it's too late? :D

Village Idiot1
11th Jul 2014, 06:05
Who cares? Will anyone miss it?
The work will still be done, just make another company slightly more viable.

pilotchute
11th Jul 2014, 06:18
Chartair has been for sale before. They are probably just testing the market to get an idea of the value right now.

Fujiroll76
11th Jul 2014, 07:31
As for anyone missing it..I would say no. However for the 'couple' who try to run the place (and I don't mean the owners) I'm sure they would!

With the few regionals who have already packed up shop in the last 6 months..I don't think it will be the last. Tough times ahead.

Aussie Bob
11th Jul 2014, 07:41
Rumour has it shaft air is for sale! Is this the next one to call it a day or is Mr Leech cutting his losses before it's too late?

Beware the first time poster, their innuendos, gossip and childishness. Fujiroll76, grow up a bit.

Corvallis
11th Jul 2014, 11:52
can someone please send a link for the advert in the australian. They should be able to sell their business easily at a good price i rekon. Just the new owners will have to make it more efficient.

Their caravan and 402 operation is excellent and probably very profitable.
They ll have to stick to that and get out of the single engine stuf.

Fujiroll76
11th Jul 2014, 13:30
why would you sell a money making business? :ugh: its obviously following the same path as many others...another one bites the dust.

Dempster
11th Jul 2014, 16:38
Fujiroll76 you appear to be somewhat disgruntled! There there. You will feel better after you take a nap!

Aussie Bob
11th Jul 2014, 20:28
why would you sell a money making business?

Because this is the sort of business that will sell. Fujiroll, get a life.

thorn bird
12th Jul 2014, 03:03
"why would you sell a money making business?"

Or perhaps the owners are smart enough to see that aviation in Australia is becoming increasingly untenable as the regulatory embuggerance rolls on, better to bail now with some money than wait.There comes a point where even a sucker would realize he'd be buying a PUP if he invested in Australian Aviation.

Capt Claret
12th Jul 2014, 04:23
Or maybe the owner is of retirement age and after decades in the business has had enough.

Unusual-Attitude
12th Jul 2014, 05:07
Just the new owners will have to make it more efficient.

Their caravan and 402 operation is excellent and probably very profitable.
They ll have to stick to that and get out of the single engine stuf.

If the current CP can't make it profitabl/efficient, then I doubt anyone can...he's hands on and very capable.

On eyre
12th Jul 2014, 16:42
Capt Claret - yours is the most logical reason. Same boat myself almost - there comes a time !!

tail wheel
12th Jul 2014, 21:36
If there was a "Like" button, Thorn Bird and Clarry would both get my "Like" tick. All quite logical really! :ok:

Rollout48, I deleted your post. If that is the best you can do for a first post, don't bother with any more posts. :=

Stationair8
12th Jul 2014, 23:10
With 45 aircraft on the books, they must be turning over a few dollars each week in revenue?

Is grandma Rob still their safety manager?

Fujiroll76
13th Jul 2014, 00:08
Either way, if this is the end. It's a shame to see another go. I wish all the pilots the best of luck and hopefully the industry can turn itself around soon.

Who picks up the work? NTAS,KATAV ......

Skydiveandy
15th Jul 2014, 10:53
Fujiroll76 - Im not sure how you are reading into the fact that a company being for sale means the end of the company.

Its rumors like that, that cause low morale with staff and lack of trust from customers especially when looking at future contracts.

I worked there myself for a short time, the CP certainly does run a tight ship and those that follow go onto bigger and better things in the long run, with the blessing and assistance of the company.

Yes I had my own issues with management, but be honest, most employees in most companies do.

Just because the company may or may not be for sale, does not mean its going to be closed. A good example is the acquisitions of the Aviator Group better known as Slingair.

Obviously you have your own beef with them, your first post makes that extremely obvious.

There are literally hundreds of reasons the owners maybe wanting to sell a profit making company. At a point in time the passion diminishes and its time to cash out and retire or maybe the cash from the sale maybe used towards another venture. Air North maybe..

The future will tell.

To the guys and girls still there, wish you all the best

Andy

Stationair8
16th Jul 2014, 09:18
Who originally started Chartair?

Stationair8
27th Aug 2014, 05:32
Just bringing this back to the top.

Anyone know who started Chartair, and what aircraft they started with?

hurlingham
27th Aug 2014, 08:24
I recall Chartair in the very early 80's as a mail run - Roger Leach owned it then as well as a few helicopters in a seperate company.

Marauder
27th Aug 2014, 10:54
Chartair was owned, and I think started by John Tilley in Alice Springs who was also the owner of Tillair in Katherine.

Those two companies were in turned bought by Roger Leaches Skyport Group, as part of his historical growth

weighman
27th Aug 2014, 18:27
Chartair was started by Brian Smith, previously with Connellan Airlines. John Tilley started Tillair in Katherine. Both Tilley & Smithy got their AOC's on the same day in late 1977.

Smithy had Navajo's, C206's, C210's, Partenavia. He did the Ayers Rock scenics from the old strip (pre Yulara) & charter in the Alice.
Tilair grew large in Katherine and Tilley bought Chartair from Smithy in 82/83 from memory.

A couple of disgruntled Chartair pilots started Ayers Rock Air Service and went into competition with Tillair/Chartair at Yulara. Roger Leach was just another operator in Alice & Ayers Rock.

He subsequently bought all 3 operations by the mid 90's.

weighman
27th Aug 2014, 19:27
i forgot to add to the fleet for Chartair, the Stationair 8. Got it to FL130 between Birdsville & Alice once.

Do you have any connection with Chartair/Tillair Stationair 8????? PM me if you want.

Stationair8
27th Aug 2014, 22:42
Just interested in GA history.